Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Cool, this thread is alive again.

Recently (few months back, but who cares) I watched Samurai Girls.
[Image: 220px-Hyakka_Ryoran_vol.1_cover.jpg]

It's really difficult to surmise the plot... It takes place in an alternate history where the Tokugawa Shogunate still exists and is in power in 'Great Japan", where Japan has largely remained isolationist after it's defeat by America (this isn't really discussed at all). And there's stuff about women samurai with magical power (who are going extinct) which allowed Japan to continue to exist. They are controlled by their 'generals' with whom the 'sign a pact'... And there's a power struggle for control of a military academy between two rival factions (but it doesn't really matter outside the first introductory episodes)...

I highly recommend that people watch this only under the conditions that they watch it subbed, they like unique ink-based art styles and they like boobs. Otherwise I highly recommend that people never touch it. Ever.
Why subbed? Because the English dub is... Borderline atrocious; I am hedging my bets that the Japanese actors managed to do it well..
The only thing this show did remotely well was the art and animation. The art style is rather striking, being based on the distinctive form of ink-painting known throughout the east. For the most part, the animation was solid too. Characters did look a tad plain though.
I choose not to include it as a plus, but there's quite a bit of gainaxing going on in the show too, so if that's where interests lie...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Junketsu no Maria follow-up: I ended up really enjoying this series. The characters were generally likeable. The story was well told. The human battles were realistic and technically accurate - I actually came to the series via a YouTube medieval weapons enthusiast. It was built up from a number of independently good elements and came together well. I'm struggling to decide which range I put it into but I think it lands at 7/10 for me.

I think it will hold some small additional interest to atheists who are interested in particular philosophical and theological viewpoints. I don't want to raise expectations too high in this area as it isn't particularly deep, but I personally found the context into which the series is placed to be an interesting premise that was well thought out and executed, albeit simple.

Some aspects of the series were overly cutesy and cheesy but there is interesting contrast between this and the more serious elements. I liked the spectrum of art style used between different characters. Overall I would recommend.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Is anyone here keeping up with Ufotable's adaption of Unlimited Blade Works?
20-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Not yet myself. I have seen it pop up but haven't given it a go so far. What do you think?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Full Metal Alchemist. 9/10. I am not an anime fan but it was great.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-05-2015, 03:08 PM
(20-05-2015 10:36 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Full Metal Alchemist. 9/10. I am not an anime fan but it was great.

Was it the original or Brotherhood?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went through Baka and Test recently.
[Image: 50389.jpg]

It's a comedy anime first and foremost with occasional flairs of considerable depth.

The show is centred around a 'prep' school in Japan (where else?) called Fumizuki Academy, known for it's use of two 'unique' systems:
1. The school is structured as in a meritocratic style: "if you want to have a comfortable school life, you have to be the best, otherwise, prepare yourself for a nightmare." is the paraphrased moto of the school.
2. Is the "Summer Test War"; a system where students are given avatars which they may use to initiate combat with other students. The power of the avatar is based on the summoner's last test in a given field. The purpose of the system is a physical test of student's abilities, where the War comes in. Classes may declare war on other classes in order to prove their worth and obtain the defeated class's equipment as the spoils.

The show focuses on the activities of Class F, a class comprised of nothing more than the dumbest and least motivated the school has to offer. It is quite well summed up by the secondary protagonist and self-appointed class representative Yuuji Sakamoto "We're the lowest of the low! The bottom of the freaking barrel, guys!". The show primarily focuses on Yoshi Akishia, a unique student in our band of misfit morons; labelled a "Provisional/Probationary Student" due to his immense idiocy on his quest to attain the life his crush, prodigy Mizuki Himeji (who was placed in F due to illness causing her to leave the placement test), he feels she deserves. This leads to many, many wars and a great number of other antics for our poor protagonist as he and Yuuji (for reasons of his own) try to push Class F to the top.

The animation in the show isn't really anything to shout at: it is competently done, but that's about it.
The shows' music is pretty good, but nothing really outstanding.
The dub, was actually well done. My only gripe would be the voice choice for Himeji, but that's a personal thing.
Frankly the comedy will be hit and miss for a lot of people, since it mostly comes out of various forms of abuse against Yoshi for his stupidity either by the environment itself or by the local Tsundere in the form of wresting pins and by her own (unwanted) clinger-on and on Yuuji by his later-acquired Yandere ("Love hurts, but it can hurt more if you stray"), and a good portion also comes out of fanservice, usually relating to either absurd nose-bleeds, a serious case of A-cup Angst and the use of possibly the most androgynous male character to have ever been drawn as a highly unwilling vehicle for it (His being targeted is not necessarily fanservice and is often times people just refusing to acknowledge him as as a male despite his continued protestations). However there are some moments of genuine fun, such as a pterodactyl shadow going across the characters out of nowhere, or the infamous bathhouse incident which requires a great deal of context, and the FFF Inquisition, a nigh-unstoppable coalition of lonely boys who are avowed to hunt down all 'betrayers of the brother's code', such as going out with girls and having feelings.

The shining stars of the show are Yuuji and the Wars. Yuuji develops rather well as a character, thanks to his job as Class F's strategist and as the series goes on, his motivations for his series of campaigns makes more sense as events progress, he really does steal the spot-light from our main character, but that may just be my bias favouring smart characters. The War strategies in the show are surprisingly well made given what the show is and don't rely too much on the usual anime bullshit of friendship and luck seeing them through, instead they rely on legitimate tactics such as obfuscation, information leakage, enemy division and so on... But it still often relies on the Crutch Character of Himeji as the trump, but when you have a powerful tool, you build your plans around it, no?

In my opinion, thanks the the existence and role of Yuuji and the strategies he builds, the show is transformed from what would otherwise be a totally unremarkable school comedy with literally class-warfare into a tale of the underdogs attempted to show the world that one's position in the hierarchy is not everything.
It's good at times but has numerous faults which really will make the show a hit-or-miss deal for most.

I'd give Baka a 6.6/10.

Since I didn't do it for Samurai Girls, here's my retroactive rating 3/10

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-05-2015, 04:46 PM
(20-05-2015 10:36 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Full Metal Alchemist. 9/10. I am not an anime fan but it was great.

If you saw "not BH", watch Brotherhood too, it's faithful to the manga (the other one is not, still enjoyable though).

FMA is one of my faves too!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
21-05-2015, 02:58 AM
(20-05-2015 04:46 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  

If you saw "not BH", watch Brotherhood too, it's faithful to the manga (the other one is not, still enjoyable though).

FMA is one of my faves too!

Brotherhood is best FMA. Just putting that out there.

21-05-2015, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2015 05:20 PM by Gilgamesh.)
(20-05-2015 05:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Not yet myself. I have seen it pop up but haven't given it a go so far. What do you think?

Probably the best anime out recently. I mean, it's hard to go wrong when ufotable is doing the animating.

That said, it's leagues behind Fate/Zero, its prequel, but that's to be expected considering Zero had a different writer; a writer who opts for more mature, dramatic stories (by the way, go watch Fate/Zero. I whole-heartedly believe it to be the best piece of media ever created.) UBW 2015 is still mature by most anime-viewers standards, though; No fan-service, no goofiness; this is the holy grail war, baby.

Quick and extremely lacking summary of the 'holy grail war', which is a main plot point of UBW:

Seven magi are chosen by the grail as 'masters' and, with support from the grail, allowed to summon seven 'servants' to do battle. The winning pair is supposed to be able to claim the holy grail and utilize it to grant a wish for each of them.

Servants are entities recognised to be heroes by humanity. They are based on real historical figures. They are extremely powerful, relative to normal human beings. Their bodies are not made of flesh and blood, and so can move quicker, hit harder, ect. They are granted 'noble phantasms' which are basically powerful abilities that reflect the historical figures lore. There are 7 classes for the servants to fill in the holy grail war: Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin and Berserker. There can only be one of each class in a grail war; every class is filled. The classes require the hero to be adept at whatever class they are summoned under - A hero who was not known to be a bowman, basically, could not be summoned under the archer class. The classes augment the heroes in certain ways.

Masters are the servants 'anchor' to this world. They supply the mana which allows the servant to materialise in this world, and to use noble phantasms. Every Master is granted 3 command seals when they summon a servant. The servants, despite having free will, are not humans; they are manifestations brought forth by the grail and their master, meaning their bodies are, to a degree, under the control of their masters will. The servant, if they strongly disagree with their masters orders, can resist the magic that dictates they obey, and this is where command seals are most relevant: Command seals literally force the servant to obey an order; the servants body will move, even unwillingly, to fulfill the order if it is done by command seal.

It looks fucking amazing, donning the fan-given name, "unlimited budget works." The visuals themselves are enough to warrant a watch, really. Sexy fight scenes. Sexy everything.

Some shonen-y elements exist in UBW 2015, to my distaste, but still less than the visual novel; overcoming tremendous odds thanks to 'plot armour', cookie-cutter goody-two-shoes main character, ect. The story of Fate/Staynight (UBW is a 'route' to the F/S visual novel) isn't to my taste at all; I'm mostly watching it because it's the sequel to Zero. However, and I think it's much thanks to ufotables influence, many characters ASIDE from the protagonist shy away from character tropes, much like they did in Zero. It's easy to love the supposed 'villains.'

7/10.
24-05-2015, 07:20 AM
I just signed up to Netflix here in Australia so am working my way through the anime series I can unambiguously watch legally.

Kotoura-san (琴浦さん)
This series follows the recovery of psychic schoolgirl Kotoura from the isolation of her youth as she finds friendship for the first time. It's an uneven series with its best episodes mostly near the start. The series closes well enough though. The characters are likeable albeit typecast and the story and humour well written. Expect plenty of jokes about perverse fantasies. 5/10