Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 07:35 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
(24-05-2015 07:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I just signed up to Netflix here in Australia so am working my way through the anime series I can unambiguously watch legally.

Point of order; we also have Crunchyroll and animelab to use legally... One moreso than the other.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2015, 08:07 PM
(20-05-2015 03:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 10:36 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Full Metal Alchemist. 9/10. I am not an anime fan but it was great.

Was it the original or Brotherhood?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went through Baka and Test recently.
[Image: 50389.jpg]

It's a comedy anime first and foremost with occasional flairs of considerable depth.

The show is centred around a 'prep' school in Japan (where else?) called Fumizuki Academy, known for it's use of two 'unique' systems:
1. The school is structured as in a meritocratic style: "if you want to have a comfortable school life, you have to be the best, otherwise, prepare yourself for a nightmare." is the paraphrased moto of the school.
2. Is the "Summer Test War"; a system where students are given avatars which they may use to initiate combat with other students. The power of the avatar is based on the summoner's last test in a given field. The purpose of the system is a physical test of student's abilities, where the War comes in. Classes may declare war on other classes in order to prove their worth and obtain the defeated class's equipment as the spoils.

The show focuses on the activities of Class F, a class comprised of nothing more than the dumbest and least motivated the school has to offer. It is quite well summed up by the secondary protagonist and self-appointed class representative Yuuji Sakamoto "We're the lowest of the low! The bottom of the freaking barrel, guys!". The show primarily focuses on Yoshi Akishia, a unique student in our band of misfit morons; labelled a "Provisional/Probationary Student" due to his immense idiocy on his quest to attain the life his crush, prodigy Mizuki Himeji (who was placed in F due to illness causing her to leave the placement test), he feels she deserves. This leads to many, many wars and a great number of other antics for our poor protagonist as he and Yuuji (for reasons of his own) try to push Class F to the top.

The animation in the show isn't really anything to shout at: it is competently done, but that's about it.
The shows' music is pretty good, but nothing really outstanding.
The dub, was actually well done. My only gripe would be the voice choice for Himeji, but that's a personal thing.
Frankly the comedy will be hit and miss for a lot of people, since it mostly comes out of various forms of abuse against Yoshi for his stupidity either by the environment itself or by the local Tsundere in the form of wresting pins and by her own (unwanted) clinger-on and on Yuuji by his later-acquired Yandere ("Love hurts, but it can hurt more if you stray"), and a good portion also comes out of fanservice, usually relating to either absurd nose-bleeds, a serious case of A-cup Angst and the use of possibly the most androgynous male character to have ever been drawn as a highly unwilling vehicle for it (His being targeted is not necessarily fanservice and is often times people just refusing to acknowledge him as as a male despite his continued protestations). However there are some moments of genuine fun, such as a pterodactyl shadow going across the characters out of nowhere, or the infamous bathhouse incident which requires a great deal of context, and the FFF Inquisition, a nigh-unstoppable coalition of lonely boys who are avowed to hunt down all 'betrayers of the brother's code', such as going out with girls and having feelings.

The shining stars of the show are Yuuji and the Wars. Yuuji develops rather well as a character, thanks to his job as Class F's strategist and as the series goes on, his motivations for his series of campaigns makes more sense as events progress, he really does steal the spot-light from our main character, but that may just be my bias favouring smart characters. The War strategies in the show are surprisingly well made given what the show is and don't rely too much on the usual anime bullshit of friendship and luck seeing them through, instead they rely on legitimate tactics such as obfuscation, information leakage, enemy division and so on... But it still often relies on the Crutch Character of Himeji as the trump, but when you have a powerful tool, you build your plans around it, no?

In my opinion, thanks the the existence and role of Yuuji and the strategies he builds, the show is transformed from what would otherwise be a totally unremarkable school comedy with literally class-warfare into a tale of the underdogs attempted to show the world that one's position in the hierarchy is not everything.
It's good at times but has numerous faults which really will make the show a hit-or-miss deal for most.

I'd give Baka a 6.6/10.

Since I didn't do it for Samurai Girls, here's my retroactive rating 3/10

The original I think. The one where Edward is stuck in our world and Al is back at home.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
24-05-2015, 11:07 PM
(24-05-2015 08:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 03:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Was it the original or Brotherhood?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went through Baka and Test recently.
[Image: 50389.jpg]

It's a comedy anime first and foremost with occasional flairs of considerable depth.

The show is centred around a 'prep' school in Japan (where else?) called Fumizuki Academy, known for it's use of two 'unique' systems:
1. The school is structured as in a meritocratic style: "if you want to have a comfortable school life, you have to be the best, otherwise, prepare yourself for a nightmare." is the paraphrased moto of the school.
2. Is the "Summer Test War"; a system where students are given avatars which they may use to initiate combat with other students. The power of the avatar is based on the summoner's last test in a given field. The purpose of the system is a physical test of student's abilities, where the War comes in. Classes may declare war on other classes in order to prove their worth and obtain the defeated class's equipment as the spoils.

The show focuses on the activities of Class F, a class comprised of nothing more than the dumbest and least motivated the school has to offer. It is quite well summed up by the secondary protagonist and self-appointed class representative Yuuji Sakamoto "We're the lowest of the low! The bottom of the freaking barrel, guys!". The show primarily focuses on Yoshi Akishia, a unique student in our band of misfit morons; labelled a "Provisional/Probationary Student" due to his immense idiocy on his quest to attain the life his crush, prodigy Mizuki Himeji (who was placed in F due to illness causing her to leave the placement test), he feels she deserves. This leads to many, many wars and a great number of other antics for our poor protagonist as he and Yuuji (for reasons of his own) try to push Class F to the top.

The animation in the show isn't really anything to shout at: it is competently done, but that's about it.
The shows' music is pretty good, but nothing really outstanding.
The dub, was actually well done. My only gripe would be the voice choice for Himeji, but that's a personal thing.
Frankly the comedy will be hit and miss for a lot of people, since it mostly comes out of various forms of abuse against Yoshi for his stupidity either by the environment itself or by the local Tsundere in the form of wresting pins and by her own (unwanted) clinger-on and on Yuuji by his later-acquired Yandere ("Love hurts, but it can hurt more if you stray"), and a good portion also comes out of fanservice, usually relating to either absurd nose-bleeds, a serious case of A-cup Angst and the use of possibly the most androgynous male character to have ever been drawn as a highly unwilling vehicle for it (His being targeted is not necessarily fanservice and is often times people just refusing to acknowledge him as as a male despite his continued protestations). However there are some moments of genuine fun, such as a pterodactyl shadow going across the characters out of nowhere, or the infamous bathhouse incident which requires a great deal of context, and the FFF Inquisition, a nigh-unstoppable coalition of lonely boys who are avowed to hunt down all 'betrayers of the brother's code', such as going out with girls and having feelings.

The shining stars of the show are Yuuji and the Wars. Yuuji develops rather well as a character, thanks to his job as Class F's strategist and as the series goes on, his motivations for his series of campaigns makes more sense as events progress, he really does steal the spot-light from our main character, but that may just be my bias favouring smart characters. The War strategies in the show are surprisingly well made given what the show is and don't rely too much on the usual anime bullshit of friendship and luck seeing them through, instead they rely on legitimate tactics such as obfuscation, information leakage, enemy division and so on... But it still often relies on the Crutch Character of Himeji as the trump, but when you have a powerful tool, you build your plans around it, no?

In my opinion, thanks the the existence and role of Yuuji and the strategies he builds, the show is transformed from what would otherwise be a totally unremarkable school comedy with literally class-warfare into a tale of the underdogs attempted to show the world that one's position in the hierarchy is not everything.
It's good at times but has numerous faults which really will make the show a hit-or-miss deal for most.

I'd give Baka a 6.6/10.

Since I didn't do it for Samurai Girls, here's my retroactive rating 3/10

The original I think. The one where Edward is stuck in our world and Al is back at home.

I only remember that from the movie (based on the original series).

But truth be told, I never finished the 2003 version, never got close to it.
Brotherhood spoiled me of that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-05-2015, 06:18 AM
(24-05-2015 07:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 07:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I just signed up to Netflix here in Australia so am working my way through the anime series I can unambiguously watch legally.
Point of order; we also have Crunchyroll and animelab to use legally... One moreso than the other.

Hrrm... ok I didn't realise crunchyroll stream to here officially as I didn't find a .au address for them. My quick searches include a lot of claims that much of the library is not available in Aus despite paying full price for a subscription. What's your experience with it?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-05-2015, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 06:44 AM by Free Thought.)
(25-05-2015 06:18 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 07:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Point of order; we also have Crunchyroll and animelab to use legally... One moreso than the other.

Hrrm... ok I didn't realise crunchyroll stream to here officially as I didn't find a .au address for them. My quick searches include a lot of claims that much of the library is not available in Aus despite paying full price for a subscription. What's your experience with it?

I haven't used it too much, but it's been good for when I have. Surprisingly stable and consistent.

It is true that a lot of the stuff they have isn't available to us... for reasons beyond rational comprehension, but they still have a pretty big free collection, if you don't mind Subs instead of dubs that is.

I've used Animelab quite a bit more truth by told. It is an (exclusively) A-NZ site (Owned by Madman), so goody for us. Unfortunately, they have a rather limited range relative to other legit options.

Have to keep in mind, we are dealing with our great nation of Aus; really our best bet for anime is, unfortunately, less than legit sources, 'cause we basically exist on the shit end of the stick for all the things the rest of the modern world takes for granted.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-05-2015, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2015 05:57 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Remember how Akira was super weird, confusing, and ultimately a depressing mess?

[Image: AKIRA_(1988_poster).jpg]

Then watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade if you want to enjoy that same feeling of depression and awfulness against the backdrop of an alternate history 1950's post-war Japan.

[Image: MV5BMTMwMjkxNzQ4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgwMDQ5._V1_.jpg]

Yes, from the same creators of Ghost in the Shell and Akira, so fuck you. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-05-2015, 05:44 AM
I love Jin Roh. I haven't rewatched for a while though.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel (蒼き鋼のアルペジオ)
Without clear explanation or warning the human race has been cut off from the seas, her ships and communications links destroyed by an apparently alien force clearly resembling our own naval technologies. This series charts a familiar course through an outsiders examination of what it means to be human as these "fog" become more like us just as we are trying to let go of our humanity in order to overcome them.
The overall series plot is weak, but this is a show about submarines and battleships each of whom has a literal avatar sporting a human persona. If you can get on board with that and don't expect the story arc to take you to any particularly interesting place then this series may well appeal. Think of it as a shoujo-friendly transformers. 6/10

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-05-2015, 07:20 AM
(24-05-2015 11:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 08:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  The original I think. The one where Edward is stuck in our world and Al is back at home.

I only remember that from the movie (based on the original series).

It definitely wasn't the movie. I saw a couple episodes late one night on Cartoon Network about 14 years ago and I was hooked so I found a website that had all the episodes and I binge watched them. I thought it was very well done.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
26-05-2015, 07:30 AM
(26-05-2015 07:20 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 11:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I only remember that from the movie (based on the original series).

It definitely wasn't the movie. I saw a couple episodes late one night on Cartoon Network about 14 years ago and I was hooked so I found a website that had all the episodes and I binge watched them. I thought it was very well done.

I realised my mix-up here...

The 2003 movie started where it's series ended, plus I didn't manage to watch the OS all the way though, so... Yeah... That's one mystery solved.

27-05-2015, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 09:39 AM by Hafnof.)
My Little Monster となりの怪物くん
Billed as a romantic comedy this series centres on an idealised bad boy / good girl teenage fantasy relationship between grades-conscious Mizutani Shizuku and homeschooled misfit Yoshida Haru. It gets off to a reasonable start but the core relationship becomes quickly contrived and unbelievable. What follows is an on again off again romantic friendship with little interesting plot or character development. Attempts to introduce tension with overly forced love triangles ultimately fail and the series gets progressively less interesting as it goes on. The series finale was so devoid of plot and connection to character as to sour the experience further. Intro and Outro music and art style are a good fit. 4/10

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post