Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 07:24 AM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Psycho Pass サイコパス
This is a hot and cold series for me. The first couple of episodes had really nothing going on worth mentioning. Episode three for me is where it suddenly took off. From there until the last couple of episodes it was the best thing I've seen in a long time until it fizzled in the last two episodes.

The title refers to a score each person receives form an automated system whenever they're in range of its sensors. In an ideal society this system analyses the human mind and predicts human behaviour. In this world evil is dealt with before crime is committed and those responsible placed under treatment programs. Syblil determines crime coefficients and sets each person into a career and life which will bring them the most happiness.

Be prepared for violence.

[Image: PsychoPassvol1.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
30-05-2015, 07:45 AM
(30-05-2015 07:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:   Psycho Pass サイコパス
This is a hot and cold series for me. The first couple of episodes had really nothing going on worth mentioning. Episode three for me is where it suddenly took off. From there until the last couple of episodes it was the best thing I've seen in a long time until it fizzled in the last two episodes.

The title refers to a score each person receives form an automated system whenever they're in range of its sensors. In an ideal society this system analyses the human mind and predicts human behaviour. In this world evil is dealt with before crime is committed and those responsible placed under treatment programs. Syblil determines crime coefficients and sets each person into a career and life which will bring them the most happiness.

Be prepared for violence.

[Image: PsychoPassvol1.jpg]

From my favourite writer; Gen Urobuchi, the guy who also wrote Fate/Zero.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
30-05-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know where else to post this but I got in a discussion with my boys about sumo ninjas. Surely they must exist and are all around us.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-05-2015, 11:15 PM
(30-05-2015 07:45 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(30-05-2015 07:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:   Psycho Pass サイコパス
From my favourite writer; Gen Urobuchi, the guy who also wrote Fate/Zero.

How you would feel if I said that of the work I have seen my favourite by far is Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

So I have seen:
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 10/10
- Fate/Zero, ~8/10
- Psycho-Pass, 9/10
- Gunslinger Stratos, ~7/10... hrmm. actually I have a feeling I haven't watched this to the end and need to get back to it.
(series only, none of the films... and I'm citing my current sense of them which may differ from reviews previously listed in this thread)

Overall what I have seen tells me that he is a great world-builder. He explores consistently interesting themes and adapts ideas from prior philosophical works to be accessible to his audience. He occasionally even includes recommended reading lists in his work, such as you can find in Psycho-Pass.

What I don't find him strong on is character building or character development. With the exception of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I tend to find it difficult to connect to and care about the characters he writes. That's why the last two episodes of Psycho-pass fell flat for me. I just didn't care about the conflict between Kogami and Makishima. That's why Fate/Zero also fell flat. I did care about a couple of characters in that series, but they were people like Iskander and (god help me) Gilles de Rais. I cared about the side characters but most of the main characters never went anywhere for me. It seemed like they were just going through the motions towards an obvious endpoint as if the action itself would be enough to keep me interested. Well I'm not really interested in action for its own sake. I'm only interested when I feel like something is at stake.

So that's why I feel like his writing for me is hot and cold. He creates an interesting world with interesting things going on in it, but it's really hit and miss for me whether I feel like anything is at stake in any given scene or episode or whether I'm watching a mere automaton march towards a predetermined outcome.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-06-2015, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 10:22 AM by Gilgamesh.)
(31-05-2015 11:15 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  How you would feel if I said that of the work I have seen my favourite by far is Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Dunno'. I haven't seen it. I've been told it's not your average magical girl bullshit, and I believe it, but it's still a turn-off.

Quote:What I don't find him strong on is character building or character development. With the exception of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I tend to find it difficult to connect to and care about the characters he writes. That's why the last two episodes of Psycho-pass fell flat for me. I just didn't care about the conflict between Kogami and Makishima. That's why Fate/Zero also fell flat. I did care about a couple of characters in that series, but they were people like Iskander and (god help me) Gilles de Rais. I cared about the side characters but most of the main characters never went anywhere for me. It seemed like they were just going through the motions towards an obvious endpoint as if the action itself would be enough to keep me interested. Well I'm not really interested in action for its own sake. I'm only interested when I feel like something is at stake.

I can't relate. I thought all the characters were interesting in F/Z. Not only that, but the notion that it felt like a pre-determined outcome seems ridiculous to me, too. I suppose the show made it clear that team Kiritsugu was the main-protagonist team, so it was natural they would make it to the end, but for them to ultimately lose the holy grail war wasn't something that could have been foreseen, surely? I quite enjoyed seeing the supposed villains win, while the main-protagonists suffered bittersweet, or tragic, outcomes.

And the Gilles + Ryuunosuke pairing was hilarious.

Oh, and the F/Z soundtrack is 10/10.

As is the case in both Psycho Pass and F/Z; Urobuchi doesn't shy away from bittersweet endings, tragic characters, and anti-heroes/anti-villains.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
02-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Blue Exorcist 青の祓魔師
[Image: Ao_no_Exorcist.jpg]
It is common in anime to use Christian mythology as source material. Blue exorcist paints a world where demons are real and the Vatican's exorcist corps are important players in the defence of earth. Into this world are born twin sons of Satan who are raised by a powerful exorcist. The series mostly takes a light humorous tone as the boys take on exorcist training.

As wild as this promise would be coming out of Hollywood for anime this is well trodden ground so there really isn't much new to be explored or found in this series. I thought overall it could have been significantly shorter for the material it covered. It did build as it progressed though and by the end I was enjoying what it had to offer. 6/10.

[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
08-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Gurren Lagann 天元突破グレンラガン
[Image: p189467_b_v7_ac.jpg]
This is another hot and cold series for me. It's longer than I usually bother to sit through and it doesn't earn its extra episodes. It has a relatively strong middle section but takes a long time getting there and finishes fairly weakly.

It's hard to describe the plot without spoilers. Humans live underground in a meagre existence. The surface is in inhabited by beast men in deadly machines with orders to kill anyone who reaches the surface. What is the reason behind this order? The middle section is set 7 years after the earlier events and allows the consequences play themselves out. 4/10. Would have scored a 5/10 if it had less filler.

A note on scoring. For me an average anime will sit in the range 4-6. A remarkable series will score 7-10.

08-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
(Alt. My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected)

[Image: 49459.jpg]

As one may have surmised by the alternate title, this is a romantic comedy gone wrong.

The show starts like this: We are introduced to our protagonist(?), one Hachiman Hikigaya, by a witheringly cynical monologue on the nature of youth. He then proceeds to argue the merits of his diatribe with his teacher, who, sick of his shit forces him to join a club in the hopes of exposing him to a brighter world and thus forcing his change. Enter the second protagonist, Yukino Yukinoshita, a girl who is almost as twisted as Hachiman himself, however she attempts to force herself to see the better in others, instead of simply writing off humanity as annoying and corrupt as Hachiman does.
The Service Club itself is a club which does exactly as it says on the tin; it is built by Yukino to provide services to others, particularly in issue resolution.

The function of the Club into which our 'hero' has been forced largely sets the pace of the show; an episodic affair with every episode (ranging to small arcs) built around the pair's (and eventually group's) efforts to solve the problem they've been given, intermixed with a great deal of ultra-pessimist v pessimist philosophy on the nature of people and how things should be done; naturally our primary characters have... different methods. Despite the episodic nature, the show does have long-running surrounding events, the primary among them being Hachiman's constant and deliberate refusal to fall into "a teen romantic comedy" and his refusal to change his ways, no matter how they turn out for him.

The animation and art are okay. They both have a distinct feel to them, but they are also rather 'generic' for want of a better term.
The soundtrack is pretty damn good, a nice variety of music in it and all very nice to listen to; stands well on it's own.
The characters are the highlight of the show, and are written pretty well.

Fact is, I like the show. It's not anything particularly special, but i like it all the same; some times it's nice to just watch a series that doesn't fuck around with the whole life is cheery nonsense.

I'd give it a 6.5/10.
I might be under scoring it, but I'm trying to keep my bias in check. If you can find it, I'd recommend watching it but it won't be for most.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 鋼の錬金術師
[Image: Fullmetal_Alchemist_Brotherhood.jpg]

Well, what a turnaround. Brotherhood is the second stab animators have taken at the Fullmetal Alchemist magna and is generally regarded as the better series. Knowing this I expected great things.

After watching the first season I took a break for a while. That season is mediocre at best. It has lacklustre character and plot development, and while it has some compelling moments these feel borrowed from the earlier version.

Watching the second season made me realise that the last few episodes of season one signaled a major turnaround and from that point the remaining four seasons were consistently good. I have my quibbles about how some parts of the story were put together but for such a long anime I think it held together remarkably well and finished strongly.

Brothers Edward and Alphonse have grown up in a world of alchemy, the science of transmuting matter into alternate forms of equivalent value. Remarkably skilled as youngsters in this craft they break a taboo in the wake of finding themselves orphaned. A price is paid.

This story becomes one of some political intrigue as Edward takes up a post with the military as a certified state alchemist. Over time they will uncover the history of the Ishvalian war and indeed the history of their nation as they pit themselves against the machinations of monsters born of their own craft.

I'm finding it a little difficult to score this one. It is firmly top tier but the first season drags on it and I think it could have done with being a little shorter in order to maintain the intensity I was looking for. I'll give it 8/10.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Fate/Stay Unlimited Bladeworks:
9/10.

I have always liked the Archer, great production values, great characters, well-written, great animations.

I just wished there was some Archer vs Gil action.
[+] 2 users Like π¶∆'s post