Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Sword Art Online
5/10

(mild spoilers ahead)

Oh boy. This is my final attempt at "popular" anime series. I'm being very generous with my 5.

As far as the plot goes, for me it was an awesome concept with an unfortunate execution. I could not relate to the characters at all (which makes sense, because how can you relate and feel sad for characters that only appear for a couple of minutes in one episode?) and the passing of two years in the game didn't feel right. And let's be honest, who can relate to two kids who act like they're married with kids? Ugh.

The pace was weird. Every episode didn't get you further into the main story, but there were rather little sub-plots for every episode and in the end you were expected to believe that two years had passed and the characters (whom you rarely see interacting meaningfully) somehow are more than acquaintances.

The animation was nice, but only as far as the battles and backgrounds are concerned. Those damn static scenes with one frame per 10 seconds was extremely annoying. If you're gonna use the same frame for a long time, at least use some panning or zooming. It's also not convincing if it's just three frames with only the character's mouth moving. I almost fell asleep. It's the 21st century people, cool battle scenes just won't do anymore. Learn how to animate.

Even though I haven't watched too many anime series, this is probably the worst one I've had to endure (because I rarely enjoyed it to be honest). It didn't meet my expectations at all and I still wonder why people go crazy over it, if it isn't just for the boobs.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
12-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 翠星のガルガンティア
[Image: Gargantia_anime_promo_image.jpg]
In the distant future earth has entered an ice age and come out the other side. Those who chose to leave have forgotten their home and live in a pitched battle against the space faring nautilus-like Hideauze. Those who toughed it out are left living in a water world stealing scraps from the bottom of the ocean left behind by more technically capable ancestors.

This is a fish out of water tale of a galactic pilot coming to terms with life on earth free from many of the constraints unending total war has placed on humans throughout the stars. Much of the plot is dedicated to pilot Ensign Ledo's search for what it means to be human, or perhaps what it means to be an adult.

Some philosophical ground is trod mid way though the series and the second half is generally better than the slow moving first half in my opinion. It's 5/10 from me.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Psycho pass is what I'm currently finishing up. Very good action packed show just a little hard to follow.
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
13-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Man, I'm enjoying Kids on the Slope. I'll put up a full review when I finish the series but it made my top tier within the first few episodes and has been continuing to climb in my opinion. I had heard the name before I started watching but otherwise knew nothing about it. It's like three or four series I really wanted to like and wanted to be better combined and done correctly. I won't score it until I see the resolution but the pace, timing and character development have been nailing it for me. It won't be to everyone's taste but I'm a bit of a sucker for series such as this one where place and musical style both feature as essential characters.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
14-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Kids on the Slope 坂道のアポロン
[Image: kids-on-the-slope.jpg]
It's always difficult to end a series like this one well but I think I got 80% of what I wanted from the conclusion. Kids on the slope is an eclectic mix of teen romance, bromance, character study, snapshot in time, and musical anime. Set in the mid sixties in a town featuring a US naval base and with a backdrop of jazz it tells a tender and well paced story of a small cast of teenage characters finding their way together. The story and plot are simple and there really isn't much new here in genre or style, but this series is put together in a way that makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts. If you don't mind a contemplative story it is well worth a look. You'll know whether it is your thing or not within the first couple of episodes. 8/10 from me.

19-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Toradora! とらドラ!
[Image: latest]
A major step down from Kids on the Slope this light drama/romantic comedy is nonetheless competently executed and surprisingly engaging. This was paced better than most similar series I've seen and despite its length held up well throughout.

Ryuuji Takasu meets his neighbour Taiga who he shares classes with. Both make a pact to help each other with their mutual crushes. A common progression occurs into a harem theme where various girls are secretly in love with the protagonist which sets up a common series of love triangles and poker games as each tries to do their best by each other. This is a style of anime that tends to lightly explore Japanese gender stereotypes in an almost dating sim environment. Some common tropes are reversed in this series but it doesn't push any social boundaries in a way that anyone would find challenging.

Subtext aside the plot was engaging and the generally dislikeable characters grew on me. 5/10

20-08-2015, 08:11 AM
I've been watching Attack on Titan (Japanese version with English subtitles) with my daughter. It's not her favorite, but I like it. Most of the anime she likes is too slow for me. Her favorites right now are Hetalia, Ouran High School Host Club, and Black Butler.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
21-08-2015, 06:28 AM
I liked the first season of Ouran, probably around 8/10. The second season would only rate a 6 though. I haven't caught up on Hentalia or black butler so far. I thought Attack on Titan started strongly but tailed off quite a bit towards the end, so roughly 7/10.

22-08-2015, 04:02 AM
Btooom! ブトゥーム!
[Image: fd16e4a8ada302acc780fcdc453838201349203837_full.jpg]
A hunger games -like contest based on a video game plays out on a deserted island. I don't know if there is really much more to say than that about the plot of Btooom. A NEET whiles away his time climbing the world rankings of an online fighting game until one day his name appears on a list of people that someone wants to make disappear. He wakes up on an island and has to fight for his life using the weapons and tactics he learned in the game. Heavy on male power fantasy, the women in the story don't fare well. They pretty much only exist as potential rape victims to be defended by "nice guys". This is but one symptom of a clumsy attempt to reflect gamer culture into the series. Most of both what goes right with the series and what goes wrong with it is due to this attempt to connect online gaming to the real world.
While I think this is a deeply flawed work I enjoyed various stretches and so it walks away with a 4/10 from me.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Sword art online ソードアート・オンライン
[Image: sword-art-online.jpg]
A neurally connected MMO passes through beta testing and is released to the public. The first ten thousand users are surprised to find the game's creator has not offered them an option to log out. Rather they are confined to the game until it is won. Moreover, they are informed they will die in real life if they life ends in game.

Sword art online probably doesn't need an induction. It's a popular series and well regarded. Myself I found the first half of the series worthwhile. It set up some great characterisations, some substantive romance and a good amount of tension. Despite a small amount of pervyness it managed to maintain a standard enjoyable to the actual adults among us.

The second half was a major let down for me marked by inadequate character and plot development and resting far too heavily on those good early episodes. The big bad was lazily constructed and the scenario increasingly unbelievable. The writers seemed to become obsessed with ugly objectification and misogynistic nice guy heroics.

Oh and what was all that about Yui becoming this deus ex machina for every situation? Lazy lazy lazy.

I guess on balance it's a 5/10 from me. I really thought it had potential early on. My advice would be to give up at the point where Kirito's sister is introduced to the story.