Rate the last anime series you watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 09:12 AM by Hafnof.)
RE: Rate the last anime series you watched
Myself; Yourself マイセルフ;ユアセルフ
[Image: 75247.jpg]
This is an average romance-based anime with nothing really terrible or great going on. The writing is ok, but not great. The characters is pretty two dimensional, the story is more or less defined into its present state rather than growing over time. There really isn't much to recommend it but not much stood out as worthy of particularly harsh criticism either. The art style is fine, but possibly the best thing this series has going for it is Itō Kanako singing the end credits. If you've seen Steins;Gate you'll likely recognise her voice. 5/10 from me.

I tried watching the first few episodes of Gatchman Crowds' second season, but I don't think I can sit through another "Bird Go" and self-congratulatory everyone-loves-us series.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2015, 10:07 AM
OK people, let's get back to Overlord. Anyone watching this? This is one of the best animes, this last episode is just fantastic. If you haven't seen it, start watching it today.

[Image: tumblr_nsk33sGy9H1uchg1vo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon? ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうか
[Image: 70187.jpg]
I have been watching School Days, but took a break from the depressing second half to put on this entertaining series. It has a style to it that is similar to the better parts of sword art online but with the fun dialled up from 5 to 9. The series follows rookie adventurer Bell Cranel, an adventurer recruit for Hestia goddess of the hearth and agriculture who has given up her powers and come to down to earth amongst many other gods. The gods now express their power only through a blessing on their followers who are able to fight monsters in the dungeon.

I've been struggling with fitting series into my ratings scheme having increased my rate of consumption of late. I think I should simplify to a 5-star system as follows:
5 - Must watch (highly subjective)
4 - Very enjoyable
3 - Some good features, but significantly uneven or compromised
2 - Nothing really to recommend it
1 - Hated it

On that scale Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka is four stars from me. To be honest the 3, 4, 5 slots can all still change around depending on the mood I'm in. The star ratings also don't really say whether I would recommend a given series to a given person or not. I know a few people who I would recommend my 3s to over my 5s for various reasons.

A quick rerating of series mentioned this this thread:
1 star:
- My Little Monster

2 star:
- Celestial Method
- A good librarian like a good shepherd
- Btooom!
- Myself; Yourself

3 star:
- Silver Will Argevollen
- Fate/Zero
- Kotoura-san
- Apreggio of Blue Steel
- Blue Exorcist
- Gurren Lagann
- Gargantua on the Verdurous Planet
- Toradora
- Golden Time
- Aquatic Language (short film, same director as Time of Eve)

4 star:
- The coffin princess: Avenging battle
- Attack on Titan
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (would have been 5 star except for slow first season)
- Your lie in April
- Steins;Gate
- Noein
- Psycho Pass
- Maria the Virgin Witch
- Is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon?
- Sword Art Online (but skip the second half of the first season, otherwise 3-star)
- Log Horizon
- Time of Eve
- Cowboy Bebop
- My Wife is the Student Council President (Did I just admit to watching that? It was. For research purposes.)
- Danchigai (As was this. Research purposes.)

5 star:
- Jin Roh
- Pulla Magi Madoka Magica
- Kids on the Slope
- Samurai Champloo

I'm currently watching
- School Days (I'm having trouble finishing it)
- Actually, I am (good fun)
- Chronicles of the Going Home Club (I've been waiting to watch episodes of this with Miss 9 who has been enjoying it a lot)
- Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers (interesting but...)
- Gate (good fun)

I tend to pick up suggestions from this thread and pop them on my queue but will likely miss any currently airing series that aren't on crunchyroll, such as Overlord. I'm liking the convenience of being able to watch via my chromecast on a bigger screen, but maybe I'll pick that one up among other once they have finished screening.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-09-2015, 11:20 PM
(25-09-2015 10:57 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I have been watching School Days, but took a break from the depressing second half ...

I was tempted to set a challenge to see if people would actually watch that...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I actually thought the first half of the season was reasonably well written and showed a bit more of the warts and all nasty behaviours that sometimes go along with teen girls, but then its actually based on a H-game isn't it? I may have simply been reading too much into what I saw. I have three episodes left, so I'll probably get to them and render a final verdict. It's the completionist in me.

26-09-2015, 12:25 AM
(25-09-2015 11:42 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I actually thought the first half of the season was reasonably well written and showed a bit more of the warts and all nasty behaviours that sometimes go along with teen girls, but then its actually based on a H-game isn't it? I may have simply been reading too much into what I saw. I have three episodes left, so I'll probably get to them and render a final verdict. It's the completionist in me.

Oh, you're going to have lots of fun with the ending...

And yes, it's based on that sort of game.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-09-2015, 12:50 AM
School days was fun. It was a random watch, had no idea what to expect. Needless to say I was surprised. Enjoy the end!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
26-09-2015, 04:59 AM
School Days スクールデイズ
[Image: 17594.jpg]
I'd heard the name School Days going into this but didn't know anything about it. It's a bit hard to talk about the plot really without giving the story away. In short it is about the relationship between teenage boy Makoto Itou, a girl he likes Kotonoha Katsura, and the matchmaker Sekai Saionji. It's pretty well written for the most part and doesn't pull any punches about what teenagers do to each other in seeking after a committed relationship.

The series goes through a pretty friendly stage, then into an understandable but disappointing stage, then into an outright the-writers-hate-the-characters stage before eventually ending strongly with... urrm... well I won't give away the ending but it did remind me of a very good series I watched a while back.

I really found this difficult to watch but I liked the ending. There was a middle section that perhaps paid too much homage to the game-based origin of the series but I liked it overall. I'll give 4/5 stars. But it's not for the faint of heart.

Speaking of which I don't remember ever posting a review here of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
30-09-2015, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 07:47 AM by Hafnof.)
Actually, I Am 実は私は
[Image: 74042.jpg]
Actually, I Am is a typical harem romantic comedy with a few supernatural and extraterrestrial themes thrown in. It's actually reasonably funny and I looked forward to a new episode coming out each week over the recent season. It's not particularly deep and doesn't really do anything to make a name for itself. The art style is a little different in a way that I'm still not sure whether I like or not. The story plays out in a school where a notoriously easy to read boy accidentally discovers the secret of a girl he likes. Both the principal of the school and the class president are pretty decent comedy foils. 3/5 stars.

30-09-2015, 09:13 AM
DRAMAtical Murder ドラマティカル マーダー
[Image: 75642.jpg]
Dramatical murder is whole pile of nothing. I would say style over substance but even the style is a bit light on the ground. The episodes just kept getting worse throughout the season. The series is centred around Seragaki Aoba, a second hand store employee who for no apparent reason is deeply connected into various gang-like groups... and everyone loves him for no reason.

Aoba eventually discovers that he has the power to "go inside" people and one by one "goes inside" each of his sexy sexy boy friends. ComingGoing inside someone apparently lets you see the one dramatic event that shaped them into the perfect gentlemen they are today all dressed up in their bad boy gang clothes... but really tormented over that one thing that is completely solved once he comes inside them. Then everything is right with the world. Eventually he comes inside himself. And his brother. And his dog. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The end. And if you get the impression from any of this that there is actual BL, well you won't even get that out of the series. So pointless. 2/5, significantly below average from me.