Rate the last manga or comic or graphic novel you read

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Rate the last manga or comic or graphic novel you read
Sweeness and Lightning 甘々と稲妻
[Image: 108707.jpg]
So crunchyroll provides access not only to anime and live action drama, but also to manga. Not wanting to let this opportunity pass me completely by I thought I'd read a volume to get a sense of what is in the collection. I was expecting wall to wall tentacles and BL but the first series I have picked up is something different.

This is a manga about the love of food. Read it feels at times like watching Tampopo but drenched in moe. The core relationships are between teacher and widower Inudzuka Sensei and his preschool daughter Tsumugi-Chan, and a high school student Kotori-Chan who is teaching Inudzuka-Sensei how to cook... while more or less learning along the way herself. Food is the centrepiece but the drama is full of touching moments as father and daughter deal with growing up without Tsumugi-Chan's mother, and Kotori-Chan whose parents are divorced deals with the absences of her mother due to work. It's an ongoing series and I'm somewhat concerned about where the crush Kotori-Chan has on Inudzuka-Sensei will lead through the series, but author Gido Amagakure has shown a light touch thus far. 4/5

Tampopo: Great movie, by the way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 11:05 AM by Hafnof.)
RE: Rate the last manga or comic or graphic novel you read
Father and Son ちちとこ
[Image: i216759.jpg]

It's not that father and son is a bad manga really. It's just that comparing it to sweetness and lightning is like comparing chalk and cheese. They both set out to achieve more or less the same end, but father and son does it without the same subtlety and finesse. The cooking theme works really well for sweetness and lightning because the dish or the recipe plan can be the plot. It keeps the narrative clean and allows the characters to be themselves within that context. Father and son seems to struggle with plot direction and tries to push the story forward by introducing increasingly zany characters. If you were to pick one of the two to read it should be sweetness and lightning hands down. So it's 3/5 from me.

On reflection sweetness and lightning probably deserves a 5/5, but I didn't want to leave myself nowhere to go on my very first review.

Arakawa Under the Bridge 荒川アンダー ザ ブリッジ
[Image: Arakawa_Under_the_Bridge_Vol_01_Cover.jpg]
This is a weird series. I don't mean the characters are wired per se or the plot. Both of these are weird. But this is essentially a series about homelessness where all of the characters are zany friendly folk who really have everything they need. I think the author could do with a reality check. Leaving that aside the story is OK but doesn't stand out for me. 3/5.

Inuyashiki いぬやしき
[Image: 9191_TMOmanga210600.jpg]
This series is something interesting. I described it to my wife as the Japanese cultural equivalent of Breaking Bad. An old guy is diagnosed with terminal cancer. He feels like his family doesn't even care enough to tell them about it.

So he wanders down to the local park where he has a fatal encounter with some kind of alien vessel. The aliens rebuild him. Sort of. And he turns his life around and becomes a super hero. Kind of.

But silly as that premise sounds the story is played straight and has a decent depth to it. It's more about the kind of Japan its citizens want to live in than about superhero antics. It still feels like early days in the series but it's a 4/5 from me with plenty of scope to grow into 5/5.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story

I didn't know much more than her name before reading this. Margaret Sanger is one of a few people who spent 50 years making the Sixties possible. She educated poor American women about sexual and reproductive health and created the women's clinics that would eventually become Planned Parenthood. She spread information about contraception when doing so was deemed "indecent" and "obscene." She was jailed for her actions, her beliefs, and her association with other radicals. And, incidentally, she was an atheist.

I found the book accessible, enlightening, and worth re-reading. It sheds light on a part of American history that rarely shows up in public school textbooks. I recommend it to anyone interested in our current fights about reproductive rights.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
24-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Sanger is an inspiring figure. I heard her name via anti abortion activists and looked her up a few years ago. She was definitely ahead of her time and did some fantastic and lasting work. I'll have to look up Woman Rebel.

13-12-2015, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 11:27 AM by Hafnof.)
My Wife is Wagatsuma-san 我妻さんは俺のヨメ
[Image: wagatsuma37.png]
Unpopular teenager Aoshima Hitoshi finds one day that he can "slip" into the future and experience life as his future self for a few minutes at a time. In his first time slip he finds himself married to popular classmate Wagatsuma-san (lit. Wife).

What follows is a romantic comedy that was very much up my alley with touching moments, interesting characters and plenty of low brow humour. This is a time travel system where current events can shape the future so events in the future drive plot in the present. Often this is a little contrived and the events of high school unreasonably impact future events. But it's pretty good, especially when it sticks to present day event plots.

This is a completed series so you won't be stuck waiting for another chapter to come out. If the above doesn't put you off it may well be worth your time. I had plenty of fun with it. 4/5.

16-12-2015, 07:23 AM
One crunchyroll 48 hour guest pass. Useful for existing non premium members only really. First come first served: http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=BQN7G6X3AU8

01-01-2016, 03:37 PM
[Image: doctor-strange.jpg]

Picked up Dr Strange #1-3 last night great story and a good jumping on point. Launched as part of the All New All Different line this is the beginning of what looks like an awesome arc. The art is amazing and I love how they show the ectoplasmic dimension layered over our own. If you are looking for a slightly different style of comic I highly recommend getting on the Dr Strange Bandwagon now. With the film coming up I imagine he will be getting a big push in the upcoming year.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post