Rational Suicide - Constructive Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Rational Suicide - Constructive Discussion
(27-01-2017 10:21 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Nitrogen is fast and painless. I used to work sometimes in what is called an "enclosed space", which is a volume that has few openings (like a tank) that must be supplied with fresh air to keep you alive. If that space was flooded with nitrogen (as happened to three NASA techs working on a space shuttle), you are unconscious within three breaths and will be dead within minutes without medical intervention.

And it doesn't trigger the suffocation alarm, and no mess so cleanup is easy. And if the ME isn't alerted to check, it will go down as a natural death of unknown cause for insurance purposes. It's important to be considerate in these matters.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-01-2017, 11:02 AM
(22-01-2017 07:57 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't really get why people get involved in suicide prevention. Why continue on if you don't want to?
Because of the (admittedly not entirely objective) difference between rational and irrational suicide.

No one suicide or potential suicide is 100% rational or 100% irrational.

But suicide because one is depressed is very often, especially for the young, a permanent solution to a temporary problem. As an atheist I place very high value on the only life we definitely / likely have, so winning the lottery only to throw it away when it hasn't already been effectively taken from you, is something to avoid if there's any reasonable hope at all. Especially for the young. Often, others can help you see that hope. That is why people fight against it. Yes, it's technically up to the person, but we don't encourage every person equally to do whatever they want. Sometimes it's worth pushing through to the other side.
29-01-2017, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 11:16 AM by mordant.)
(22-01-2017 08:27 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  From what I remember, his cancer wasn't as bad as what Banjo is going through now, or what a friend's grandmother's third surgery for the same type of cancer as my mother's friend. However, he didn't want to face it. I don't think anyone who knew him was opposed to it.
Then it was most likely a legit rational suicide. It is fine for someone to decide whether or not they want to have more experiences so long as they are making a reasonably objective assessment of their prospects and don't show disordered thinking and aren't under duress.

My wife and I for example feel very strongly that we do not want to be bedridden and having strangers scrape poop off us, and we will end our existence before that comes to pass. Others would not mind it at all. I suppose, potentially, there are scenarios where even we might come to accept it as our "new normal" and have things to look forward to, and might change our minds or at least go with inertia. But from where we sit now, relatively able-bodied, "no way, Jose". Ain't gonna happen if we have anything to say about it. That is rational suicide. It is OUR needle to thread.
29-01-2017, 11:15 AM
(23-01-2017 01:56 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Yeah. So maybe leave some money at least. That way you will provide some care and ease the burden somehow.

It's just that I have nothing against suicide, no shame in it for me, but I despise parents who screw life of their children - even if they screw it by doing something that is/should be their right.
Yes the needs of others need to be considered, but not just how they will feel about your death, but how they will feel about your life.

My late 2nd wife is and always will be dearly missed, but our life together had become a joyless slog and a financial drain, and frankly, in practical terms, her death had many undeniable positives for me, as well as many horrible negatives. Her decision whether or not to continue having new experiences very much took that into account. In the end, she decided not to carry on, but even then, she got my permission first, and made sure I was able to let her go. If I had seen it as a betrayal or moral wrong, she might have delayed it (but certainly wasn't obligated to).

Ironically, her having made contingency plans for her rational suicide, probably lengthened her life. Empowerment is important. I think she lasted a good year longer than she otherwise would have. You always worry whether you will miscalculate, and be unable to end your life without assistance, and therefore having to pull loved ones who would assist into potential legal problems. By making plans and being able to carry them out, to a point, you can better choose not to. Ironic, but true.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
29-01-2017, 11:55 PM
(22-01-2017 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  First I want to say that I am glad to see you Clockwork! You have been missed.
Thanks. Knowing me, I'll probably leave again anyway. I checked in and saw a message from someone about this issue. Then we discussed the thread, and here we are.

Quote:Especially with a world culture that is so heavily religious there is a feeling that only a god can make the decision...that's BS. Too many religious are in places of power and they don't want to go against the concept that only god can decide to end a life.
Even back when I was religious, I didn't fully understand this. I figured that suicide wasn't the worst sin anyone could commit. And besides, I thought, don't we put down our pets when they get too sick? To me, if I'm helping a four-legged family member stop pain why not a two-legged family member?
30-01-2017, 10:37 PM
(27-01-2017 03:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And [Nitrogen] doesn't trigger the suffocation alarm, and no mess so cleanup is easy. And if the ME isn't alerted to check, it will go down as a natural death of unknown cause for insurance purposes. It's important to be considerate in these matters.
Nor does helium, which is more easily available.