Rational Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
14-11-2011, 07:57 PM

RE: Rational Suicide
(14-11-2011 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen 2 examples of rational suicide....

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer (3 years ago), we had a pact: if they could not cure her, we would go out with a bang! Sell everything, buy a motor home and travel around to all the places in North America that we always wanted to visit. When the time came, we would walk into the 'light' (or more precisely the darkness) together.

Without that pact I don't think I could have coped with the prospect of losing her. This way I was strong, calm, being the rock I needed to be.

Luckily they managed to cure her completely and we are back to wanting to live forever! Big Grin

Rational suicide is the most rational decision one can ever make. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Girly and Zat define rational, Peterkin wants to pick nits, and me and my Gwynnies are foreverzzz...

That is all. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 08:15 PM

(14-11-2011 08:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Girly and Zat define rational, Peterkin wants to pick nits, and me and my Gwynnies are foreverzzz...

Actaully, I don't think Peterkin is picking nits. From the posts I have read, I would judge Peterkin to be the most rational person I have ever known! I often wish I could master that penetrating insight and eloquent precision exhibited in those posts I have read. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
14-11-2011, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 10:08 PM by houseofcantor.)
(14-11-2011 08:15 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 08:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Girly and Zat define rational, Peterkin wants to pick nits, and me and my Gwynnies are foreverzzz...

Actaully, I don't think Peterkin is picking nits. From the posts I have read, I would judge Peterkin to be the most rational person I have ever known! I often wish I could master that penetrating insight and eloquent precision exhibited in those posts I have read. Smile

Peterkin is a smart man and no doubt, but in this thread, he wuz picking my nits - all there is to it. Tongue

living word
14-11-2011, 08:33 PM
You hang 'em out there, i'll pick 'em.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
14-11-2011, 08:47 PM
(14-11-2011 07:57 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen 2 examples of rational suicide....

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer (3 years ago), we had a pact: if they could not cure her, we would go out with a bang! Sell everything, buy a motor home and travel around to all the places in North America that we always wanted to visit. When the time came, we would walk into the 'light' (or more precisely the darkness) together.

Without that pact I don't think I could have coped with the prospect of losing her. This way I was strong, calm, being the rock I needed to be.

Okay, 3 examples.

#sigh
14-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I've thought about it. Tons. My family has some genetic predisposition to cancers. Never the good old curable kinds either it seems.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
14-11-2011, 09:59 PM
25ish years ago, while attending an Evangelical College, I read Camus, Sartre and Kierkegaard. At the time I thought to myself that if I weren't a Christian, I could see the appeal of being an Existentialist. Kierkegaard gave me some hope that one could be a Christian Existentialist, but the more I mulled this idea over, it did not seem to fit with my Evangelicalism.

Back then I found I could resonate with Camus' observation that the individual has free choice and one of the most meaningful options an individual has is to choose to end one's existence. I believe he dismissed ending existence as a viable option, stating what made that choice even greater would be to stare into the abyss of nothingness and choose to step back and live in the Absurdity of Life. While he dismissed suicide, interest in that existential option stayed with me. Flash forward a couple decades and a half, and now as a nascent atheist, subject to bouts of clinical depression, I find myself exploring that question again. Sagan, Dawkins and others would say that because our existence is so unique with nothing waiting for us at death, then life is extra precious and we ought to embrace the mystery and awe of life coming into existence and leading to the point where we are alive in this unique era of human consciousness. Yet, my musings keeping going back to the point that if nothing awaits us at death, and living brings pain, both emotional and physical, then why isn't suicide the best option? I won't be conscious to regret my choice. I wouldn't be leaving behind a family, and in fact, not having progeny would ensure I would not be adding my depressed genes to future generations. Other than the fact that I don't like pain very much and am reluctant to hurt myself, I have a difficult time finding anything wrong with making the choice to end the Absurdity...except then I wouldn't be able to enjoy this fine bowl of Cocoa Puffs before me soaking in cold milk.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
14-11-2011, 10:11 PM
(14-11-2011 09:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ...except then I wouldn't be able to enjoy this fine bowl of Cocoa Puffs before me soaking in cold milk.
Cocoa Puffs... also magically delicious. Yeah, my Irish is showing. Big Grin

living word
14-11-2011, 10:16 PM
(14-11-2011 10:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 09:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ...except then I wouldn't be able to enjoy this fine bowl of Cocoa Puffs before me soaking in cold milk.
Cocoa Puffs... also magically delicious. Yeah, my Irish is showing. Big Grin

Funny you should say that. I staggered to the corner market craving Lucky Charms, but the best I could get was Cocoa Puffs...the "Puff" part seemed fitting at the time.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post