Rational Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
15-11-2011, 11:00 AM
RE: Rational Suicide
(14-11-2011 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And if it is, how would one start to go about determining the point of maximal benefit?

Me? I'd use the "Benefit O-Matic" by Ronco... as seen on TV. For $19.95 it determines your point of maximal benefit. Plus, it slices, dices and makes perfect julienne fries.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2011, 07:41 PM
(15-11-2011 11:00 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And if it is, how would one start to go about determining the point of maximal benefit?

Me? I'd use the "Benefit O-Matic" by Ronco... as seen on TV. For $19.95 it determines your point of maximal benefit. Plus, it slices, dices and makes perfect julienne fries.

Yeah, I have that. I just don't trust it. Because it only cost $19.95 and I've seen the way it slices, dices, and makes julienne fries. Those julienne fries are far from perfect.

#sigh
24-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Bump. 'Cause I had my annual Suicide Prevention training recently and I always leave there thinking they should call this "Suicide Contemplation" training. And there's some good shit in there from JohnnyC and some old friends Zatamon and Peterkin.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Interesting thread. Something else to consider, I guess.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
03-05-2016, 02:04 PM
bump...

#sigh
03-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Just bump? Explain yourself, dear Sir!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
things that go bump in the thread......... sounds like woo to me.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
(12-11-2011 07:35 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  This is exactly why the state and church have no business intervening by force. Once the authoritarian obstacles were removed, it would be far easier to seek third-party - expert? - advice in situations where ending a life may be the best solution for all concerned - or perhaps there is an alternative the people involved had not considered.

In any case, the only person who has an absolute right to make such a decision is the protagonist. In no other decision, from whether to wear white socks with sandals, through majoring in ancient Chinese art, buying a house in Santa Barbara, whether to gamble or drink or dive into the lake on New Year's morning, nobody arrogates my right to exercise my own poor judgment. Why in this one? Even if it's the wrong decision, i have a right to be wrong. This is, in fact, the only decision i can't possibly regret.

I agree. T'aint nobody's bidness but mine!

People are so very emotional about this, there is little decent conversation to be had about it.

Most certainly, unless I am a badass criminal, no one but me has the right to decide about my life and my death.

What people don't get is that often the suicidal person will hide because they don't want to deal with the patronizing attitudes of others. Judgement about you is made in a second flat if you are suicidal - we don't want you to do it, we are going to do everything we can to keep you from doing it...

Whether the specific suicide is "rational" or not, this attitude puts added hardship on the suicidal person. The authorities being called in and carting you off to a mental institution, who wants that?

So, suicide is driven underground. It is the most closeted of closeted things. Because everyone wants to meddle.

This is bad all around - the young suicidal person is likely trying to escape from meddling in the first place, and the old person who wants to put an end to their own suffering has to feel like an outcast and sneak around and hide.

It's stupid, the whole way suicidal people are treated. They have no place to go where they get non-prejudiced counsel. They have to hide from everyone. That situation alone often signs the deal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
(03-05-2016 02:27 PM)skyking Wrote:  things that go bump in the thread......... sounds like woo to me.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-05-2016, 03:48 PM
(03-05-2016 02:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Just bump? Explain yourself, dear Sir!

Coming up on 54 yo. Once I hit 55 yo the term insurance premium doubles. To maximize ROI I off myself before that and make it look like an accident. ,,,,, It's not like I haven't thought about this.

#sigh