Rational Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
04-05-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: Rational Suicide
(04-05-2016 05:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  I'm going to try to make a constructive thread about this sometime, and while recent events stirred up a lot of thoughts, this is not the time to discuss.

I see those thoughts in your posts in the other threads. I look forward to it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
(04-05-2016 05:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  I'm going to try to make a constructive thread about this sometime, and while recent events stirred up a lot of thoughts, this is not the time to discuss.

Why not? There's a better time why?

#sigh
04-05-2016, 05:37 PM
(04-05-2016 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Why not? There's a better time why?

Because some of the things that are on my mind will trigger others at this time. Not my intention, I will be looking for a very rational discussion without emotions flying high, as they are bound to do at this time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM
“The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the “divine irresponsibility” of the condemned man.” - Sartre

#sigh
05-05-2016, 12:17 PM
I am a big proponent of the right to die. I find it cruel to force people that have made the decision to die from a logical standpoint.

Basically, it all starts with the question: Do you believe that some lives aren't worth living?

I myself would answer yes to this question: I can imagine several scenarios that would happen to me that would make my life, in my opinion, not worth living. If some lives are not worth living, you can make a logical choice not to continue living them, in my opinion.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
05-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Here is a case where somebody famous took his life, and for what anyone would say was a very valid reason.
http://news.discovery.com/human/health/r...151104.htm
05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
(04-05-2016 02:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
“The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the “divine irresponsibility” of the condemned man.” - Sartre

Erik had a different perspective than Sartre.

Not an Absurdist ... but there was a taste for the absurd. Hence the hats.

I think he knew that "Brooklyn is not expanding" and I doubt he cared.

I also doubt the timing for your analysis. Some things can be too soon.

Heart

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-05-2016, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 01:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-05-2016 01:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I also doubt the timing for your analysis. Some things can be too soon.

Fair enough. Not a new analysis though. I started the thread in 2011 while contemplating a different suicide and shit like this makes me think of these things again.

EDIT: DLJ suggested I may be insensitive here. He is right. I was insensitive in that I was not even considering how my thinking might affect others at this particular time. These types of thoughts and considerations are my only refuge from weeping. I should've appreciated that it is anything but for others.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
(05-05-2016 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I also doubt the timing for your analysis. Some things can be too soon.

Fair enough. Not a new analysis though. I started the thread in 2011 while contemplating a different suicide and shit like this makes me think of these things again.

EDIT: DLJ suggested I may be insensitive here. He is right. I was insensitive in that I was not even considering how my thinking might affect others at this particular time. These types of thoughts and considerations are my only refuge from weeping. I should've appreciated that it is anything but for others.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
05-05-2016, 04:04 PM
(05-05-2016 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

[Image: sample_bearhug.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post