Rationalism is a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 12:13 PM
I keep hearing this crap from Christians and even one deist who thinks UFO's are real.

It's getting annoying, And I know this is a common Topic,

But, I am in the view that science can test "the supernatural".
We just haven't found convincing proof of anything, that can be explained by other means Drinking Beverage

Another thing do you sometimes catch you or other Atheists doing a logical fallacy too?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OmniConsUme's post
04-06-2017, 12:16 PM
RE: Rationalism is a religion?
(04-06-2017 12:13 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  But, I am in the view that science can test "the supernatural".

Only problem is, the moment scientists hypothetically do and find something, it's no longer supernatural by definition.
[+] 6 users Like Grauwyler's post
04-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Well, given that the definition of a religion relies on the belief in the existence of a divine superintelligence, then no, rationalism cannot be a religion.

Do atheists commit logical fallacies?

Yes, of course. Just because a person is an atheist does not necessarily mean they can't fall victim to errors in logic. I've been known to make a few myself. Thankfully, the good people of this board call me on it and I learn something in the process.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
04-06-2017, 12:20 PM
If rationalism is the practice or principle of basing opinions and actions on reason and knowledge rather than on religious belief or emotional response then no it isn't religion. I heard such sentiment uttered once or twice but it seems that theist like to pin label of religion to everything, atheism included so I'm not annoyed. It's funny in it's own strange way.

As for supernatural - one can not test what does not exist.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
04-06-2017, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 01:22 PM by Vera.)
No.

Next. Drinking Beverage

Also, no such thing as "supernatural". If aught befalls you, it is good exists, it is by its very nature (get it? Rolleyes ) natural.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm literally, going through quora right now, and oh boy some of these answers REPEAT on and on again.

But this seems new,

"Any argument which claims atheists have a better ground to interpret the Bible should be rejected on its face—the fact that you disagree with any text does not make you a better or more objective critic than one who agrees. The claim that people who deeply study scripture tend to become atheists is also one of these wishful-thinking atheist cliches which I wish would go away.

Having said this, Christians, Jews, atheists, Buddhists, Nigerians, skiiers, left-handed Morris dancers, and red-headed saxophone players all have a perfect right to read and give an opinion on scripture if they wish to."
[+] 2 users Like OmniConsUme's post
04-06-2017, 12:34 PM
(04-06-2017 12:26 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  left-handed Morris dancers

Fuck! Now I have to go learn how to morris dance, and I am *so* not into any dancing Dodgy

Might try out for the old lady's part though, seeing as after my concussion that's about the only horse I see myself riding again.

[Image: morris-dancers.gif]

But thanks, unknown quora bozo, for bestowing upon us your most gracious permission to waste our time, reading that pile of bronze-age shit. Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-06-2017, 12:52 PM
(04-06-2017 12:26 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  I'm literally, going through quora right now, and oh boy some of these answers REPEAT on and on again.

But this seems new,

"Any argument which claims atheists have a better ground to interpret the Bible should be rejected on its face—the fact that you disagree with any text does not make you a better or more objective critic than one who agrees. The claim that people who deeply study scripture tend to become atheists is also one of these wishful-thinking atheist cliches which I wish would go away.

Having said this, Christians, Jews, atheists, Buddhists, Nigerians, skiiers, left-handed Morris dancers, and red-headed saxophone players all have a perfect right to read and give an opinion on scripture if they wish to."

It may be new but it's still shit. One would think that Almighty would be able to write something in a way that would preclude interpretation.

Also I would say that reading a Bible would make one anti-theist nor atheist in vein of Reagan quote about "communism":

"How do you tell a Communist?
Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin.
And how do you tell an anti-Communist?
It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
04-06-2017, 12:55 PM
(04-06-2017 12:26 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  I'm literally, going through quora right now, and oh boy some of these answers REPEAT on and on again.

But this seems new,

Whadda ya mean interpret the Buybull? If it doesn't mean what it says why would anyone need to interpret it? Just throw it out with the other trash.
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
04-06-2017, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 01:04 PM by Cosmo.)
I think Christians have a tendency to confuse evidence with dogma, because atheists have a tendency to repeat the same evidence ('cuz it's true,) over and over, while often having the statements fall on, unfortunately, deaf ears. This includes new evidence when it comes up, such as the sheer vastness of the cosmos, exoplanets, black holes or other potential dimensions; things that undermine the anthropocentric view of the Universe. They fail to realize that there is a large difference between stating evidence (or lack thereof as we'll often call out) and just repeating something because an ancient book said so.

I'm not trying to be dogmatic. I'm trying to be rational.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post