Rationalism is a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: Rationalism is a religion?
(06-06-2017 11:08 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 10:59 AM)mordant Wrote:  I would have to object to that last one. Theology is a non-science and a faux discipline that consists of trying to bring consistency to the random unsubstantiated assertions of a particular religious school of thought.

Yes, religions could not get by without rationalizations, but that's not the same thing as rationalism.
The problem I have is with the progression: theology is NOT treating reason as ANY sort of authority in religion, it is simply studying the different ways in which it is DENIED in favor of religious faith. It is not like philosophy, where reason has primacy over experience -- or like rationalism where reason and knowledge have primacy over religious or emotional sentiment.

Theology sometimes makes a PRETENSE to reason (for example, in my Bible Institute days, our go-to multi-volume theology was Chafer's Systematic Theology -- suggesting a systematic and scholarly consideration of the subject matter but neglecting to mention the presuppositions built-into the system). But it is actually totally UNreasonable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
06-06-2017, 05:25 PM
RE: Rationalism is a religion?
(06-06-2017 05:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 06:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  God is claimed to be any different things by many different people. A sufficiently advanced other worldly intelligent life could easily be the basis of a persons religion, for example. Another example are those that claim that nature is god and worship the universe without the need for a guiding intelligence at all.

I'm not interested in semantic games that simply paste a "god" label on something else. If somebody says that they get comfort from believing in a god that loves them and they mean an alien civilization or the non-sentient universe then they are being deliberately misleading.

(06-06-2017 02:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  No, much bolder than that. I said I believe that there is intelligent life in the universe outside of planet earth, and that the nature of the universe may very well make that belief impossible to test. I also claim that it is not an irrational belief. Do not misunderstand, I don't make Gnostic claims.

Which is why I made a distinction between believing that alien life exists and believing that it is likely that it does. The latter is based on extrapolation from the evidence we have and is not an irrational belief.

I'm not playing fast and loose with the definition of "God" or "religion" (as what my actual claim was to begin with) to fit my argument. I am explaining my position as I layed out from the beginning. Organized religions' popular conception can vary greatly from individuals 'personal gods', even if the believer in the personal god calls hom or herself Christian or Muslim, or whatever. But regardless, as 'god' (whatever that may mean in context) is not required for religion, nor anything supernatural. Many versions of Hinduism are specifically atheists. This is not some obscure belief system that applies to a handful of wishful loons. This is a common way religion is practiced.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post