Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2010, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2010 11:18 AM by Buddy Christ.)
Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change
The likes of Hitchens and Harris have referred to Atheists as Rationalists, because atheist is the derogatory name given to us by the faithful. A-theist, without/ lack of a god, suggesting that we are without a quality that they possess. People who don't believe in unicorns or leprechauns aren't snubbed as aunicornists or aleprechaunists. And by embracing the term Rationalist, theists would have to accept the term Irrationalist; a fitting title to coincide with those particular set of irrational beliefs.

But seeing as how this is starting to sound a bit preachy and the fact that I've been up for about 26 hours straight... maybe I'll just post this before I try to organize a Rationalist march on the Vatican.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 08:12 PM

RE: Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change
I think we're in trouble when we change our name, because we're worried of how we're perceived by The-ists. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
My father calls himself a Darwinist because he doesn't believe in god and 'atheist' sounds too hard.

I think people can call themselves what they want.

Atheist should remain the proper term though imo. To avoid confusion.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I think we have to be careful about avoiding the term atheist. The more we avoid it, the longer it will remain stigmatised. And really, as long as the majority are theists, we have to distinguish ourselves somehow from them. Eventually, if the majority become atheists, the theists may need to re-think their label, but until then, the current ones work. If it gets people riled up, well, just use it as an opportunity to educate people; let them know that we aren't devil-worshipping, baby-sacrificing, immoral people ^.^

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
(08-11-2010 09:43 PM)BnW Wrote:  'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Ha! I was about to post that.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I think we should all take a lesson from Juliet Capulet and not worry about the nomenclatures. Let people call us what they want; sticks and stones will break my bones, etc. etc. etc.

The word "Atheist" is not a pejorative term. And, ultimately, if people try to make it a pejorative, what they are attacking is your (non) belief, not the word. Avoiding the word does not avoid the intent. If you change the name to "Hashslingers" then people are going to attack the word Hashslingers on the same basis.

Labels are not the point and are not in any way relevant to any intelligent discourse. Words are no more than linguistic symbols used to communicate. The issue here is intent and, quite honestly, I'm not the least bit concerned about any negative intents on the idea I don't believe in God.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I wanna be a Schloobendorf. Can we change it to Schloobendorf? Pleeeeeease?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-11-2010, 01:21 AM
I like rationalist. I also like atheist. Why don't we change back and forth randomly and confuse the crap out of theists?
09-11-2010, 02:41 AM
(09-11-2010 01:21 AM)No J. Wrote:  I like rationalist. I also like atheist. Why don't we change back and forth randomly and confuse the crap out of theists?

I vote for this one! Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user