Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2010, 06:32 AM
RE: Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change
I just feel like if we were called Rationalists, it might deter that annoying, yet guaranteed followup question of.. "So do you believe in anything?"

Why yes, I believe in rational thought.

When I discovered Santa Claus wasn't real, I didn't forfeit my concept of generosity.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
(08-11-2010 08:09 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The likes of Hitchens and Harris have referred to Atheists as Rationalists, because atheist is the derogatory name given to us by the faithful. A-theist, without/ lack of a god, suggesting that we are without a quality that they possess. People who don't believe in unicorns or leprechauns are snubbed as aunicornists or aleprechaunists. And by embracing the term Rationalist, theists would have to accept the term Irrationalist; a fitting title to coincide with those particular set of irrational beliefs.

But seeing as how this is starting to sound a bit preachy and the fact that I've been up for about 26 hours straight... maybe I'll just post this before I try to organize a Rationalist march on the Vatican.

So we should adopt a new name to avoid having a name that implies that "we are without a quality they possess" but we should label all believers with a name that suggests they lack rationality while calling ourselves rationalist?

Sorry but I see this as invoking the same hatred of naming used against us. Let them call us what they will. It doesn't change the truth of who and what we are.
11-11-2010, 12:23 AM

I think Atheist need to get something straight.
You have a religion
You have a god (science)
Atheists need to understand that you aren’t above it all and watching a feeding frenzy of religions you are very much in the thick of it fighting for dominance. That would lead to the more preferable name change being sciencians as you worship science
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
(11-11-2010 12:23 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  I think Atheist need to get something straight.
You have a religion
You have a god (science)
Atheists need to understand that you aren’t above it all and watching a feeding frenzy of religions you are very much in the thick of it fighting for dominance. That would lead to the more preferable name change being sciencians as you worship science

I think Emperor Paradox needs to get something straight. Your reasoning process, as per your posts on this board, shows many flaws. You need to learn to recognize reality. This is your poorest thought-out post in a series of poorly thought-out posts.

Non of us worship science or scientists. We question science and search for and evaluate the evidence that supports the scientific theories before we decide to accept them. This is something you don't seem to comprehend. Why don't you question your religion and see if there is any credible, verifiable evidence to support it?
11-11-2010, 02:55 AM

(11-11-2010 01:41 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 12:23 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  I think Atheist need to get something straight.
You have a religion
You have a god (science)

I think Emperor Paradox needs to get something straight. Your reasoning process, as per your posts on this board, shows many flaws. You need to learn to recognize reality. This is your poorest thought-out post in a series of poorly thought-out posts.

Non of us worship science or scientists. We question science and search for and evaluate the evidence that supports the scientific theories before we decide to accept them. This is something you don't seem to comprehend. Why don't you question your religion and see if there is any credible, verifiable evidence to support it?

having a god doesn't necessarily mean that you worship it but that you idolize it put you faith in it and believe in it.
11-11-2010, 04:05 AM
You have a religion
You have a god (science)

Emperor Paradox, you have just lost the last bit of your credibility.Big Grin

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
11-11-2010, 06:49 AM
I would like to know why, if the religious do confuse atheism for a religion (it would have to be the most diversified religion in the world--even moreso than Christianity, I think Tongue), why, in the same breath, we're often called "godless", and/or spoken of in a harsher tone because at least the other religions got something "right". Tongue

Not to mention I'm pretty sure most of the deeply religious both label us as following science as a god, yet also say what we believe goes against science. Tongue The real kicker comes in when I point out that most atheists I know aren't like us here and have absolutely no interest in science at all.

But, hey. If science (more like the scientific method) can be called a god, then, sure, why not? Just don't call me a Scientologist. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2010, 07:42 AM
You have a religion
You have a god (science)

Not all atheists follow science. It's not a prerequisite to being an atheist. And, I don't know what religion you think we have. Religion is an organized belief system the focuses on rituals and common beliefs. There is no common belief amongst atheists other than we don't believe there is a god. There are no holidays, no rituals, and no common understanding of anything beyond that one point. Many of us believe in science and logic but not all of us.

So, in conclusion, you're wrong.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
You have a religion

No.

Quote:You have a god (science)

No.

Quote:Atheists need to understand that you aren’t above it all and watching a feeding frenzy of religions you are very much in the thick of it fighting for dominance.

No.

Quote:That would lead to the more preferable name change being sciencians as you worship science

No.

(11-11-2010 02:55 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  having a god doesn't necessarily mean that you worship it but that you idolize it put you faith in it and believe in it.

Which is what "worship" means.

Congratulations. In two posts, you failed to get a single thing right.

EmperorParadox, we have no issue with you posting on these boards, but please do some research before you say stuff like this.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM

The change of name is irrelevant in the overall as the stereotypes and characteristics attached to it will simply cross over.
It's simply like building a replacement house on the same faulty foundations.

The important point is that we need to work to remove the issues at hand ,rather than trying to bury them in a sea of interchangable titles.