Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
RE: Rationalists = Atheists, time to officially name change
(11-11-2010 12:23 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  I think Atheist need to get something straight.
You have a religion
You have a god (science)
Atheists need to understand that you aren’t above it all and watching a feeding frenzy of religions you are very much in the thick of it fighting for dominance. That would lead to the more preferable name change being sciencians as you worship science

First of all what aspects of Atheism do you consider religious. We have no songs, chants, rituals, hierarchy, book of moral law, or anything else of that sort. I'm always amazed when a theist brings this up.

Is science omnipresent, omniscient, or demanding of any kind of moral code or worship. It is not a deity like any other god and has MANY answers it can't explain and does not try to.

with the first two points being total ignorance of what an atheist is or what we tend to do your last point is just a false conclusion based on false ideas.

Obviously you have little to no understanding of what an Atheist is. If your willing to learn then ask but if all your going to do on these forums is try to "convert" others to your point of view then I'd suggest you leave as you won't honestly find anyone so ignorant here.

We care about truth around here from what I have seen not trying to convert anyone to or from anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
(11-11-2010 02:55 AM)Emperor Paradox Wrote:  having a god doesn't necessarily mean that you worship it but that you idolize it put you faith in it and believe in it.

1. Reread my post, without interpreting what I said into something that I didn't say. I said we question and weigh the evidence. Obviously you don't know what weighing evidence is.
2. Learn how to use the English language properly. There are a lot of people on this form who obviously have another language as their first language, but they stay to the context of the language a lot better than you do. ie worship and idolize mean basically the same thing. Having faith in goes hand in hand with worship and idolization.
3. Your arguements are actually evidence to us that at least some theists, you in particular, are not interested in looking at both sides of the arguement with an unbiased and open mind. This means that you are strengthening our resolve to be atheists and convert theists to our side. We won't bother with you because we see you as a lost cause, at least I do.
12-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't condone what I think is an unfair attack, but I have seen atheists try to assert the similarity between atheism and religion. There are the venerated tho' unelected leaders, the commonly read 'holy books', the regular meetups at lectures etc., the online community gatherings. ...and people are making good money at it! Big Grin

Those things in no way make a religion, but it's amusing to make the comparison, if only to get a reaction. Atheism is beautifully simple: it's the lack of belief in god/s.
12-11-2010, 10:13 PM
(12-11-2010 09:17 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  I don't condone what I think is an unfair attack, but I have seen atheists try to assert the similarity between atheism and religion.

I have never seen or heard anything even remotely similar to this statement. I have heard a number of theists make such a claim, but verification of such a claim has never been witnessed by me, in any way shape or form.
13-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Just because an atheist might have claimed it doesn't add validity surely No J.?
13-11-2010, 07:33 AM
(13-11-2010 04:28 AM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Just because an atheist might have claimed it doesn't add validity surely No J.?

Huh? What does this mean?

You said that atheists are claiming that atheism is like a religion. No.J came back and said that he's never heard an atheist make this claim, but has heard theists make the claim ostensibly on behalf of atheists. Then you came back with the statement above which means absolutely nothing in the context of the conversation.

I'm all for having reasonable, or even unreasonable when warranted, debates. However, I'm having continued problems following your logic and what you are saying. So, please explain what this statement means for the less fortunate (i.e. me) amongst us.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-11-2010, 11:36 AM
fr0d0,

Would the following more accurately reflect what you are saying?

"Just because an atheist might have made the claim, "atheism is like religion" surely that doesn't add validity to the statement. Would you agree No.J?"

That's how I interpreted it, so I thought I'd attempt to clarify what you are saying. Please correct me if I mis-interpreted your statement. I too am having a hard time understanding some of the things you are saying.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Can anyone even link to a single incident of an Atheist trying to assert that Atheism is a religion. I've seen plenty of theists do so but never an Atheist (although I have seen Theists claims to be Atheists attempt this).
13-11-2010, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2010 07:01 PM by fr0d0.)
Stark Raving got it right. Apologies for my poor communication. I think I need to relax some.

An example Godless: http://atheistforums.org/thread-3008.html
13-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Well I'll be darned. Someone was crazy enough hehe thanks for sharing that.

The second link however is about the most pointless page I've seen for a while but that "fun" link attempted to open 3 or 4 sex sites on my computer. Please don't post such things.