Rationality vs Emotion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Rationality vs Emotion
I try to be critical or at least skepitcal in my thinking.
There are many trusted voices here.
Where do you personally, draw that line?
When do you step back when talking to an emotional person?
Specifically, a religious emotion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 03:31 AM by Rahn127.)
RE: Rationality vs Emotion
What we're really talking about is rational vs irrational
When that irrational person gets emotional about their beliefs, you may need to take a step back and realize you're dealing with an unstable personality.

This video might give you some ideas on how to deal with an irrational person who is emotional

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
28-10-2014, 03:30 AM
What do you mean by "unstable personality"? Because from your post it sounds like you're dealing with someone crazy, out of their mind, and I don't think that's the case.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
28-10-2014, 03:50 AM
(28-10-2014 03:30 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  What do you mean by "unstable personality"? Because from your post it sounds like you're dealing with someone crazy, out of their mind, and I don't think that's the case.

Let's talk about emotions
Anger, sadness, fear, joy, happiness.
When irrational behavior leads a person to experience charged emotional states, then I don't think you're dealing with a stable personality.
Imagine someone who had a belief that stepping on a crack in a sidewalk would truly hurt another person. If this person saw someone stepping on cracks in the sidewalk, they may become angry, sad or fearful.
If that anger erupts toward you, then I would call that person unstable. If their sadness causes them to cry for all the people they think you've hurt, then that too becomes an unstable emotional behavior.

When religious people become emotionally charged to the point where their delusion is causing then to feel anger, sadness, fear, then their actions can become unpredictable and unstable. Even extreme happiness from the idea that you are crashing planes into a building and will be rewarded in heaven for your acts are the products of an unstable mind.

In my opinion

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
28-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Emotions - much blamed, ill defined, often superfluous or exaggerated, sometimes very necessary messages from our ancestors.

I don't think emotions and rationality are enemies, they are designed to work together. Emotions are primal reactions to stimuli our ancestors would have found significant. They have stuck with us for thousands of years because at one time they were crucial to our survival. At times, they still are.

They are influenced/modified by hormones, at different times of our lives they appear at different strengths. Like many young males are moved to fight at the drop of a pin, many young females are prone to cry for no discernable reason.

They are alerts sent by our ancestors and are supposed to trigger certain actions. An emotionally well balanced person makes good use of them, an emotionally unbalanced person makes a mess of things.

Religion has no more to do with them than any other life component. When emotion meets religion, or racism, political convictions or prejudice of any kind, it can become super destructive.

So, emotions are alerts. Don't suppress them, and be careful when judging people on their basis.

The thought process is not "this person is crazy because emotion" but "this is crazy because x triggered emotion in that person". (Substitute the specific emotion)

Personally, I tend to withdraw from people whose emotions get triggered strongly by religion, or racism, political convictions or prejudice of any kind.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-10-2014, 07:56 AM
(28-10-2014 12:52 AM)pablo Wrote:  Where do you personally, draw that line?
When do you step back when talking to an emotional person?
Specifically, a religious emotion.

Luckily, for the most part, the people I'm close to don't get very worked up about religion. While I was nominally raised Christian, religions seemed to be mainly something that was practiced in church and at prayers before dinner (and only dinner), and was otherwise exceptionally private. It would only be brought up rarely outside of those contexts.

My wife considers herself quite Christian, and even then, it seldom comes up outside of church. She's recently entered a phase where she has a bit of a renewed interest, but still, the amount of time she talks about it on any given day is quite small.

So, basically, I tend to shy away from conversations where people do more than just a cursory mention of their religious beliefs. If they state them, I'll likely say something like "okay" to acknowledge them in a non-confrontational way, and then just let it go. I typically don't want to get into a debate in most social contexts.

(28-10-2014 04:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Personally, I tend to withdraw from people whose emotions get triggered strongly by religion, or racism, political convictions or prejudice of any kind.

I agree. I get uncomfortable around people who get really worked up about things, even if I agree with them. My best friend has a tendency to get emotional in discussions about religion or politics, so I try not to bring them up. We somewhat agree politically and we largely agree religiously (he shows tinges of pantheism or something, but he's largely non-religious). When he gets worked up, I try to let it just drop, steer the conversation away, or at a minimum, engage in a calm fashion.

He actually noted the last time he was over how calm I've been for quite some time. I was trying to send a text and my phone was being stupid, and I started swearing at my phone in a way that he hadn't seen in quite some time. He said something to the effect of "It's been a long time since I've seen angry Rob. Lately, you've been so calm about everything.". I'm actually really glad that I've gotten that way and that he's noticed it. I got sick of carrying all that vitriol around with me (I let it all out here Tongue).
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
28-10-2014, 02:47 PM
If either party gets angry in a debate, then both lose IMO. I try to stay calm, but I also feel the emotions I show or participate in have to be appropriate to the situation. Talking about someone's dangerous lifestyle or heaven/hell can get a little serious. "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep" is good in terms of showing empathy to those who are hurting or rejoicing.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I can understand emotion when discussing religion. It's human. I get pretty worked up and sometimes have to control my anger in debate because of how frustrating it can be to deal with a believer. Making matters worse is that their position is based on irrational beliefs that when viewed through their upbringing and perspective are, to them, perfectly rational.
29-10-2014, 01:25 PM
You are speaking of the phenomenon (ironic, I know, to call it a phenomenon) of Christians who need to be "real" with people. It takes a little while after conversion to true faith (not cultic faith) to calm down and deal with people who are materialist about non-materialist things while maintaining a level stance and a level head. Yup.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user