Ray Comfort gets called out on his douchebaggery.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
RE: Ray Comfort gets called out on his douchebaggery.
(10-08-2013 06:21 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  And btw,the comedy movie costed $20 before 7 august.
He had around 60k downloads,that makes $1,200,000.
He's a very smart business man, wish I could make money that quickly and easily.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 07:34 PM
(10-08-2013 06:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 06:21 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  And btw,the comedy movie costed $20 before 7 august.
He had around 60k downloads,that makes $1,200,000.
He's a very immoral business charlatan, wish I could make money that quickly and easily.
fixd Dodgy

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Watched it. Pure rubbish. Not even good enough to qualify as a decent YouTube video. He really made money off this shit? I can only hope that the underlying reason for that is that atheism is causing enough of a stir in todays culture that Christians have become desperate enough to cling to their belief that they'll spend their hard earned dollars supporting this clown. It's encouraging, actually.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
11-08-2013, 02:54 AM
(10-08-2013 11:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Watched it. Pure rubbish. Not even good enough to qualify as a decent YouTube video. He really made money off this shit? I can only hope that the underlying reason for that is that atheism is causing enough of a stir in todays culture that Christians have become desperate enough to cling to their belief that they'll spend their hard earned dollars supporting this clown. It's encouraging, actually.

Are you at all familiar with the bogus Duck Dynasty rumor that was all over FB earlier this year? YES there is a stir within the Christian community because of atheism, but I don't think it's encouraging. We live in a society where bogus information can be relayed millions of times, around the globe, almost instantaneously by a bunch of reactionary morons who don't stop to even think if the info makes sense, let alone do any fact-checking. If they did do any research, it might be a good thing since they might realize why spreading such BS is bad. Since they don't, the stir you mention is not encouraging.

Which brings me to answer Ray's question: We are not afraid, we know how his audience treats the sort of misleading information this movie spreads. We also know how large this audience is. Because of these factors, we refuse to allow him to promote such a dishonest message to such a large and ignorant crowd.

Beyond this, what is HE afraid of? If his message is so pure, why is he against releasing the unedited footage?

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
11-08-2013, 05:52 AM
(11-08-2013 02:54 AM)eksyte Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 11:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Watched it. Pure rubbish. Not even good enough to qualify as a decent YouTube video. He really made money off this shit? I can only hope that the underlying reason for that is that atheism is causing enough of a stir in todays culture that Christians have become desperate enough to cling to their belief that they'll spend their hard earned dollars supporting this clown. It's encouraging, actually.

Are you at all familiar with the bogus Duck Dynasty rumor that was all over FB earlier this year? YES there is a stir within the Christian community because of atheism, but I don't think it's encouraging. We live in a society where bogus information can be relayed millions of times, around the globe, almost instantaneously by a bunch of reactionary morons who don't stop to even think if the info makes sense, let alone do any fact-checking. If they did do any research, it might be a good thing since they might realize why spreading such BS is bad. Since they don't, the stir you mention is not encouraging.

Which brings me to answer Ray's question: We are not afraid, we know how his audience treats the sort of misleading information this movie spreads. We also know how large this audience is. Because of these factors, we refuse to allow him to promote such a dishonest message to such a large and ignorant crowd.

Beyond this, what is HE afraid of? If his message is so pure, why is he against releasing the unedited footage?

Meh. (this is me not awake enough yet to answer you)

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
(11-08-2013 02:54 AM)eksyte Wrote:  We live in a society where bogus information can be relayed millions of times, around the globe, almost instantaneously by a bunch of reactionary morons who don't stop to even think if the info makes sense, let alone do any fact-checking.

You say that like it's a new thing.

Mark Twain Wrote:A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

... this is my signature!
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
(11-08-2013 02:54 AM)eksyte Wrote:  Are you at all familiar with the bogus Duck Dynasty rumor that was all over FB earlier this year? YES there is a stir within the Christian community because of atheism, but I don't think it's encouraging

No, I don't have cable, nor do I facepage. Drinking Beverage

I grew up with a vague notion that atheism was a thing that somewhere, someone actually thought was true, but not anyone that I was aware of. The very fact that the idea that god may not exist is becoming mainstream enough to where they have to come up with dishonest bullshit like this in order to counter it is encouraging to me.

11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
(10-08-2013 07:34 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 06:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  He's a very immoral business charlatan, wish I could make money that quickly and easily.
fixd Dodgy
Applying one's own subjective morality to another person and expecting them to adhere to it seems like madness to me.

Unless of course you subscribe to objective morality, in which case I request for the definitive guide so that we can sort out once and for all if a moral transgression has occured here.

Basically it comes down to the consequences of ones actions:
Consequence 1 - Become insanely rich
Consequence 2 - Those of the same ilk look upto you for your wisdom and look forward to purchasing your next commercial endeavour.
Consequence 3 - Those opponents whom you don't interact with have more reason to mistrust you
Consequence 4 - There are no legal consequences
Consequence 5 - There are no after life consequences

Just like the rest of us Ray has to make his own decisions and live with the consequences.
12-08-2013, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 02:41 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
(11-08-2013 04:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Applying one's own subjective morality to another person and expecting them to adhere to it seems like madness to me.

Unless of course you subscribe to objective morality, in which case I request for the definitive guide so that we can sort out once and for all if a moral transgression has occured here.

Basically it comes down to the consequences of ones actions:
Consequence 1 - Become insanely rich
Consequence 2 - Those of the same ilk look upto you for your wisdom and look forward to purchasing your next commercial endeavour.
Consequence 3 - Those opponents whom you don't interact with have more reason to mistrust you
Consequence 4 - There are no legal consequences
Consequence 5 - There are no after life consequences

Just like the rest of us Ray has to make his own decisions and live with the consequences.

I believe that his untruthful misrepresentations (i.e.: lying) is unquestionably a moral transgression, and he needs to live with the consequences. While we can all create hypothetical scenarios which would allow lying to be moral, what Ray is doing here's is certainly not one. He is manipulating statements given in good faith for his own personal agenda. What he's doing here is analogous to falsifying evidence. His own rule book (Bible) that he advocates and lives by specifically states not to lie.

As this issue gains more publicity, my hope would be that he loses credibility.

Unfortunately, as we've seen before, men who lie, cheat, or steal in the name of God simply say their apologies, serve their sentence (when applicable), then announce that God has forgiven them and so should everyone else. Their sheep will continue to support them unwaveringly; we who mistrust them will always do so.

Consequences #3, 4, & 5 seem like obvious outcomes. (Unless he's sued for libel, and suffers further consequences, then #4 is out.) #2 sadly seems like a very potential outcome as well.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
It seems reasonable that legal actions of some sort could apply to this video. He's edited the footage to make it seem as if the people in the film are saying things they aren't. While this video isn't likely to ruin any of the participants' lives, it most certainly is attempting to intentionally discredit and even slander the atheist community as a whole.

LOL @ "liable" in Jeffasaurus's post. I think you mean "libel".

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel