Ray Comfort gets called out on his douchebaggery.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: Ray Comfort gets called out on his douchebaggery.
I can thankfully say that I have never heard of the guy or his movie.
I'm not inclined to search and change my state of blissful ignorance on this one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 08:56 AM
An atheist response. I did catch some minor flaws with her response, but the gist is okay.

17-08-2013, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 09:16 AM by houseofcantor.)
(16-08-2013 08:28 PM)closet.atheist Wrote:  I can thankfully say that I have never heard of the guy or his movie.
I'm not inclined to search and change my state of blissful ignorance on this one.

Good plan. Thumbsup

(17-08-2013 08:56 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  An atheist response. I did catch some minor flaws with her response, but the gist is okay.

Ray's "points" are so ridiculous that her use of a snide tone in rebuttal comes across as insulting to this viewer, so I didn't. View it all, that is.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 10:15 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(17-08-2013 09:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 08:56 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  An atheist response. I did catch some minor flaws with her response, but the gist is okay.

Ray's "points" are so ridiculous that her use of a snide tone in rebuttal comes across as insulting to this viewer, so I didn't. View it all, that is.

There are far better video's countering Ray's claims that where produced before Ray ever even thought of making his video. They are simply any science video you'll ever watch.

I post this not because it's the best. It's not. I post it because it's a direct response, and relevant to the post.

I would suggest to anyone wanting to find complied, detailed, accessible information to refute Ray's claims, to pick up a copy of Dawkin's "The Greatest Show on Earth". Far superior to watching Youtube videos for your knowledge.

17-08-2013, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2013 10:26 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
The real problem I see with Ray's video is not Ray's approach. Well, it is a problem with the video to be sure, but his approach is a symptom of our society, and that most people do not want to think, they don't really even want to understand. They just want quick sound bites that make immediate sense and allow them to go on about their day.

A quick sound bite for what evolution is would be that we evolved from monkeys. I hate even writing that because even just that short simple sentence makes me cringe and feel a massive need to go back and expound upon that. But that's the sound bite. Ray Comfort's sound bite is, "God did it". And his rebuttal sound bite to evolution is, "Have you ever seen a monkey give birth to a human?"

In the girl's video response, that I posted, she began to explain 'ring species'. That can be explained relatively quickly and easily, but would never have made it into Ray's video because it's not a sound bite, and he is looking for a sound bite. And he is looking for a sound bite because his viewers don't want to think long about it. They'd rather have 40 minutes of quick sound bites, all reaffirming their a priori beliefs, than one detailed explanation that is 40 minutes long.

This is why Ray does this in this way. Because that's what they want. They want quick sound bites, not explanations. If evolution could be explained in detail in a sound bite, that might sway these ones. But our sound bite of, "the gradual genetic change of a species over time due to the process of natural selection" or however else you want to word that, would then require more explanation.

"God did it" should require a more endlessly, intrinsically detailed explanation for these people too. But for some reason it doesn't.

The problem is not the message, it's the viewer. They don't care. I had a friend, a theist, ask if I thought intelligent design should be taught in school. I said no because it's not science, then began to go into explaining why. I don't think I got through my first sentence when she stopped me and told me she didn't really know what intelligent design was exactly. She just wanted to know what I thought about it. I tried to explain why again but she was not interested in why, she just wanted a yes or no from me.

The problem is that that is how people are. Like my friend. She supports intelligent design, and is anti evolution (which funny thing about being anti evolution, you don't really have a choice) but she definitely does not understand evolution, but the thing she does believe, ID, she didn't even know what it was other than what could be gathered from the title. The title "Intelligent Design" is all the sound bite she needed to know she "believes" it. She didn't want any details from me about what it was. She just wanted to know whether or not I believed in it so that she could place me in her box she made for me in her cubbie of people.

That's the real problem. How do you get to those people who really do not care, and only want sound bites, and the sound bites of religion are easy because they are made up anyway?

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
17-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Another great book written by a theist is "Darwin's Gift..." By Francisco Ayala" available for Kindle. If may be more acceptable to theists and explains the evidence for evolution very well.
17-08-2013, 01:12 PM
(17-08-2013 10:12 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I would suggest to anyone wanting to find complied, detailed, accessible information to refute Ray's claims, to pick up a copy of Dawkin's "The Greatest Show on Earth". Far superior to watching Youtube videos for your knowledge.
Yes, great book, but one has to take the time to find the book, be open to investing time to read a book authored by Dawkins and be open to read a book on evolution.

Thing is, the ID/Creationist plan is a PR thing, not a science thing. They have no science. They are winning over the religious Americans by telling them what they want to hear. That they are special, made in god's image, that they have a divine purpose and responsibility to be moral, whereas animals are just animals.

Comfort's movie is well advertised and promoted, people want drama, they want to hear that the atheists are shook up by the movie. The movie is also very funny to watch, all the "scientists" squeeming and squirming, contradicting themselves, stating that evolution is not a belief that it is fact, then all of them saying that they believe in evolution and they have strong believe, Saying that they have proof of evolution because fish turn into fish, bacteria into bacteria.

The Quila video is quick, it lacks entertainment value, lacks build up and promotion, and only asserts things and doesn't show how scientists know macroevolution is fact.
The video with the girl is just ramblings, no entertainment, it doesn't even address anything until over 2 minutes in, by then most people would have stopped watching it.

What we need is a quick sound bite <cringe, I know> but that is what ordinary people in their busy lives, reluctant to see any proEvolution stuff need to see.
Something very quickly showing how scientists know that one "kind" is related to another "kind", then when the audience understands, then trow the proof of how we know chimpanzees and humans have common ancestry.

I don't know, I'm no PR person, no marketer, but it strongly feels to me that the ID/Creationists are winnging the american public over with their "intelligent" and well planned, well marketed, well targetted PR initiatives.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
06-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Holding evidence hostage is a sure sign of dishonesty.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-10-2013, 11:11 AM
(09-08-2013 07:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ray Comfort is a grade A douche.

Intelligent reply
19-10-2013, 11:13 AM
(09-08-2013 07:50 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  I cannot wait til the video where Ray tearfully admits his intellectual dishonesty.

That is a nice dream!