Re-introduction, question for ex-believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 02:51 AM
RE: Re-introduction, question for ex-believers
Raised Roman Catholic in New Jersey, went to Catholic schools through high school. Started exploring other faiths at 19, moved west and became a Mormon at 21. Realized that it was crazy and started exploring again... came to the realization that I am an atheist at 38.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 05:55 AM by Deltabravo.)
Hi debna

In our home, when I was a child, no one ever mentioned Jesus, God or anything religious at all.

My parents were married in a Methodist church and they were both church elders but when I asked my father about religion he said that where he grew up, in England, everyone said they belonged to the Church of England if they were asked but only to avoid having to discuss religion. None of my extended family in the UK or California have any religiousness about them at all. I don't even know if any of them even believe in god or go to church.

As I grew up I heard about this god guy and Jesus but I suppose, since I am, according to some (House of Cantor), "kinda dumb", I was isolated from lofty intellectual thoughts about the creation of the world and suchlike. My dad gave me 25 cents every Friday to spend after Cub Scouts and I could buy a comic book and a chocolate bar or a bar of chocolate and a bottle of Orange Crush. The choices were limited back then. On Saturday I played with friends and Sunday we went to church but I didn't pay attention so I can't remember what they talked about in Sunday school. I have a recollection of sitting in a gymnasium in our church one day and hearing about the crucifixion and thinking to myself that this couldn't possibly be true and must have been some kind of trick and that Jesus obviously did not die on the cross. Beyond that, I had no thoughts about religion whatsoever. Shortly after that I asked my parents if we could stop going to Church. In fact, I refused to go and that meant we all stopped going and spent Sunday mornings listening to the radio instead.

I grew up in a deeply religious community, however, and when I got to High School I met a few people who were very religious and I just tried to avoid talking about it. I did a degree in political philosophy and did study religion in that degree program.

I have to admit it never occurred to me to believe in a god or in the stuff in the New Testament and I have always wondered why anyone had to deconvert from any religion. I fail to understand how anyone could ever become religious in the first place because it involves accepting things which are counter-intuitive and obviously untrue.
04-05-2016, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 05:50 AM by Deltabravo.)
duplicate deleted
06-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Hello, I was raised Lutheran and even taught Sunday School for awhile. I realized I was an atheist while in high school and going through confirmation. I kept it to myself and went through the confirmation but I honestly think that was the last time I went to church (outside of the usual weddings, funerals, and such). I'm now 30 years old and just getting comfortable flaunting my atheism in the open, although it's tough in the Christian community I live in.

Good luck with adulting in the real world! I don't think I quite have it down yet. Undecided
06-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Greetings....

I was raised being forced to go to a Methodist church - and pretty much always thought it was about as believable as the Tooth Fairy...............

I was forced to go to summer "bible school" -- then off to summer camp ----

where surprise, surprise --- I discovered poontang..... (at the age of just shy of 12...... with an "older woman" -- 14....)

Needless to say, my interests in church had a slightly different focus after that....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-05-2016, 04:11 AM
I was raised Episcopalian but never drank the cool-ade until I met an episcopal minister who became my best friend. When he committed suicide last year something snapped and I saw religion for what it is, which is basically nothing but hot air and flim flamery, I suspect he saw the same but as a priest couldn't deal with his doubts. I'm lucky as Britain is fairly secular, I was shocked by how religious and superstitious life is in America I had no idea about the creation museum Ken Ham etc til I came here.
14-05-2016, 11:16 AM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Hey debna27

Welcome Back. I'm Common Senesi. And I like to party.

Was raised Roman Catholic in Central New Jersey, Stopped going became a Agnostic Theist, then eventually Atheist.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
14-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Welcome back as well Big Grin

I was without religion until I was about 6 and my mom decided that she is now Roman Catholic. I never bought into it really though, apart from the guilty feeling stuff. Christians are damn good at making you feel guilty without actually every saying that you are a bad person...
At 14 years old, in Germany (where i do not live any more), you have the legal right to choose your own religion so I stopped church completely. I already believed in witchraft so that is what I then dove into and so I was a witch from 12ish (yep, before I left the church) up until about 25ish when I started to question my belief.
I would say I have been an atheist from about 26ish or 27ish.
But naturally there are sometimes still moments when parts of my witchy background creep up on me and I have the big "BUT WHAT IF..." in mind.

woop

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)