Reacting Calmly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 09:23 AM
RE: Reacting Calmly
My wife tried doing that the other day, getting me to buy some new clothes. I'm not against it, I just don't like "fashion" stores you see on the high streets.

For example: she pulled me into one these shops, and said "oo look, this is nice", and it was a pair jeans will multiple large rips down the legs. Now, I don't mind the "faded" look, or even the odd like mark on the jeans, but several large holes in them? That's just shit, and it looks bad too....but apparently that's what people are wearing now lol. I just like regular t shirts, regular jeans/shorts and comfy shoes....is that a crime?

TLDR: I'm an old man now lol.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
14-07-2017, 09:30 AM
I lived on Guam during my 6th grade year. I was frequently harassed for being one of the few white kids in the public school for being a haole (pronounced like "howlie"), a Hawaiian term that the locals (especially local children) had borrowed describing non-natives, particularly white people.

Aaaaanyway- a local kid followed me into my biology class one day and punched me in the stomach right in front of everyone, called me a haole, and then walked out. It was hard enough to knock the wind out of me for a sec, but not much more. I calmly told the teacher about it, then told the principal. Rather than fight back, I didn't see the point in it. It was a common sentiment at the time, so I doubted that I would have any allies in that fight. It was one of the few times I reacted calmly to the bullying there, which was not infrequent.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
14-07-2017, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 10:06 AM by Emma.)
(14-07-2017 09:23 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  My wife tried doing that the other day, getting me to buy some new clothes. I'm not against it, I just don't like "fashion" stores you see on the high streets.

For example: she pulled me into one these shops, and said "oo look, this is nice", and it was a pair jeans will multiple large rips down the legs. Now, I don't mind the "faded" look, or even the odd like mark on the jeans, but several large holes in them? That's just shit, and it looks bad too....but apparently that's what people are wearing now lol. I just like regular t shirts, regular jeans/shorts and comfy shoes....is that a crime?

Yep, that's a classic old man symptom. Sorry friend, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE an old man now. We can treat this condition, but unfortunately it's incurable. I'm so sorry. I'll leave you alone for a minute to collect your thoughts.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
14-07-2017, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 10:01 AM by OakTree500.)
(14-07-2017 09:33 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:23 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  My wife tried doing that the other day, getting me to buy some new clothes. I'm not against it, I just don't like "fashion" stores you see on the high streets.

Yep, that's a classic old man symptom. Sorry friend, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE and old man now. We can treat this condition, but unfortunately it's incurable. I'm so sorry. I'll leave you alone for a minute to collect your thoughts.
Weeping

I was about to reply, but that sounded even more "old man" than the first post Laugh out load . Basically I'm stuck in 90's fashion: Jeans/Shorts + Tshirts + hoodies + caps lol. I'm sure I'll like a right tool when I'm 70 but who cares Big Grin

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
14-07-2017, 09:50 AM
In high school I was walking to class through the gym (small school) and got pelted in the head by a flying volleyball that some kid had aggressively spiked.

I just kept on walking as though nothing happened, though I'm pretty sure it gave me a concussion.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
14-07-2017, 11:14 AM
I've been thrown into situations where I thought I'd lose my shit. I had first aid training, but not EMS. I worked with a guy who was a paramedic (he even helped train EMT basics). A customer was in distress, so I called emergency and then this guy.

I knew I'm not a trained medic, but my mother was on the nursing staff for decades. I check for alert bracelet. I asked, Is he diabetic, does he have a history of strokes, does he have a history of heart problems, what's he being treated for, etc. My paramedic buddy comes up with his medic bag, I tell him what I've learned. He nods, hooks the guy up. I stand behind the guy's walker (the kind you can sit on). He starts to pass out, I ease him down. (My mother had shown me how, since she also specialized in geriatrics.)

One coworker is freaking out. She's making the guy's companion/girlfriend scared. I say, wait outside for the ambulance. Afterwards, my paramedic friend says I did well, and I was very calm. I say, hell no, I'm freaking out on the inside, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. He says I did well, and go sit down in private. Adrenaline crash isn't fun. Smile

But the guy's companion called a couple days later. He was fine.

And then this has happened a few times since then.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
14-07-2017, 12:15 PM
(14-07-2017 08:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think the notion that you want to be a better person is ridiculous.

I think the norion that you actually care about anything regarding this is ridiculous, considering you said you didn't care, and also you say words like "sand nigger" just in an attempt to offend people. You're nothing more than a provocateur.

14-07-2017, 12:23 PM
(14-07-2017 09:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:33 AM)Emma Wrote:  Yep, that's a classic old man symptom. Sorry friend, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE and old man now. We can treat this condition, but unfortunately it's incurable. I'm so sorry. I'll leave you alone for a minute to collect your thoughts.
Weeping

I was about to reply, but that sounded even more "old man" than the first post Laugh out load . Basically I'm stuck in 90's fashion: Jeans/Shorts + Tshirts + hoodies + caps lol. I'm sure I'll like a right tool when I'm 70 but who cares Big Grin

Pffft! I may be old, but wearing jeans and a t-shirt doesn't make me a man. Actually it emphasizes the round parts nicely if I may say so myself.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2017, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 01:35 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(13-07-2017 11:02 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  What are some events where you've reacted calmly? In middle school, a kid was throwing a ball at my friend, who asked him to stop. He didn't stop throwing the ball, so I took the ball and threw it onto one of the school buildings. So, he decides to punch me in the back. I didn't fight back (partly because I didn't know how to fight), but also because I didn't understand why he attacked me. It's just a ball. I'm going to fight him because of a ball? Anyway, that's one of my best moments.

As an Air Force firefighter, I pretty much had panic trained out of me.

In the intervening years, I've witnessed several emergencies, and just went at it -- rendering assistance at an auto accident before emergency services had arrived (which consisted mainly of checking for fuel leaks, telling the victims to stay put and not move, and directing traffic).

Panic is what happens when we encounter a situation at once so novel and so traumatizing that the mind locks up. It helps to know something about what you're dealing with if you want to ward off panic.

ETA: Addressing the other part of staying calm, I do have a big temper. I'm generally able to control it, but when I'm out of patience, I have to remove myself from the situation before I speak or behave in ways I'll regret. I've got a long fuse ... connected to some dynamite.

I don't start fights, but if someone attacks me I will fight back. Even in a fight, there's an analytical process that happens at very high speed, not to say that I'm calm, but to say that even under adrenaline dump my brain seems okay with the workload.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-07-2017, 02:07 PM
This forum daily.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post