Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 07:34 AM
RE: Reactions To My Scarlet "A" Pin
(14-11-2012 05:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I personally find

{snipped for space}

more aesthetically pleasing than

{ditto}
So do I. I haven't seen that one in a lapel pin anywhere, though -- has anyone else?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 08:07 AM
(14-11-2012 01:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 01:51 PM)pianodwarf Wrote:  I wear my scarlet "A" pin most of the time:

http://store.richarddawkins.net/products/1-a-lapel-pin

This is one of my small personal contributions to the civil rights aspect of the atheist movement: one of the most important elements of any such movement, and probably the most basic element, is letting the "rest of the world" know that we exist. When people see "real people" who are nonbelievers, it makes atheism more personal, rather than abstract, and may therefore potentially make people think about it differently. Most of the time, people who ask about my pin simply nod and don't seem to think too much about it.
They were both laughing because they knew that they would soon be firing you.
Or it was just nervous laughter after an unexpected answer to a personal question.
I think that the laughter reaction is the most natural you could get. Such as in a completely secular workplace where religion and atheism are no big deal. Id say dont worry about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
15-11-2012, 10:35 AM
(14-11-2012 01:51 PM)pianodwarf Wrote:  I wear my scarlet "A" pin most of the time:

http://store.richarddawkins.net/products/1-a-lapel-pin

This is one of my small personal contributions to the civil rights aspect of the atheist movement: one of the most important elements of any such movement, and probably the most basic element, is letting the "rest of the world" know that we exist. When people see "real people" who are nonbelievers, it makes atheism more personal, rather than abstract, and may therefore potentially make people think about it differently. Most of the time, people who ask about my pin simply nod and don't seem to think too much about it.

Today, though, the HR Director and the President of my company both stopped by my work site, and during the chit chat, the President asked me about my pin. I smiled and said, "Oh, that? 'Atheist'." They both laughed. I'm not sure what to think about that... that's not a reaction I've ever seen before. Has anyone else had this kind of response? What did you think or say or do?
The laughter strikes me as a means of avoiding discussing it further. However, why they didn't want to discuss it has several possibilities. It may be that they recognize religion is a touchy subject and simply wanted to avoid it. Or it could be that they weren't happy with your atheism and didn't want to get into a heated discussion. Or it could even be that they are atheists themselves, but haven't come out so they laughed in a sort of agreement that they didn't fully want to admit to. I'm sure there are other possibilities and it's impossible to know what they really meant without them giving more information.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2012, 10:38 AM

[Image: Atheist_symbol.jpg]

[Image: atheism+symbols+and+richard+dawkins+and+...mpaign.jpg]

Besides, it looks too much like V for Vendetta:

[Image: v-for-vendetta-logo-wallpaper.jpg]

or even worse, the anarchy symbol:

[Image: cropped-anarchy.jpg]
Hmm, actually if you turn your preferred symbol upside down it strongly resembles the V for Vendetta without any alteration. As an atheism symbol, I do prefer it myself though.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2012, 10:49 AM

[Image: Atheist_symbol.jpg]

[Image: atheism+symbols+and+richard+dawkins+and+...mpaign.jpg]

Besides, it looks too much like V for Vendetta:

[Image: v-for-vendetta-logo-wallpaper.jpg]

or even worse, the anarchy symbol:

[Image: cropped-anarchy.jpg]
Or even worse yet:
[Image: 811331-crissangellogo.jpg]
Criss Angel logo.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
15-11-2012, 10:52 AM
How about a tattoo of 666 on your forehead? Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-11-2012, 07:47 PM
(15-11-2012 10:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  How about a tattoo of 666 on your forehead? Evil_monster

Pics or it don't count.

[Image: 666israel.jpg]

Awesome beard, though. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Funny, for the past few days I have been contemplating getting a scarlet 'A' to tack on my backpack or somewhere obvious. I know it sounds silly, but part of me is hesitant to do so because I think I'd be perceived as being "in your face" or stirring up trouble. But religious people are open about it all the time. Just the fact that people see out-n-proud atheists as an offense is all the more reason to do it. Hmm. Thanks for your help talking that one out, lol. Hey can I use a Visa on Dawkins' store, or do I hafta' make a PayPal account?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user