Reading C S Lewis (his books on christianity)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
RE: Reading C S Lewis (his books on christianity)
I read the first few chapters of Narnia having confused it with Lord of the Rings in 7th grade. What an awful pile of shit even then, I couldn't get through book one.... I didn't even realize that I had missed out on LOTR until years later.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 04:01 AM
I've only heard a few favorite arguments by C. S. Lewis, especially the Liar - Lunatic - Lord trichotomy, which has never sounded to me like a valid argument, because 1) we have examples of people who did great things and who were lying about certain things as well as people who did great things, but who we could consider insane 2) you need to proof Bible is accurate first to use this argument (of course I've heard arguments about the exceptional reliability of the Bible, of which some wasn't really sound arguments from the very beginning and the other has been shown inaccurate and misleading with a little effort).

It seems to me that critics of Lewis are right in claiming that his arguments are only sound for the people who are already believers, not for the people who don't believe.

I haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia, but I am thinking about giving it a try. It's quite famous book and I am interested in seeing what it's famous for. And I like fantasy.

I've read The Lord of the rings and I pretty enjoyed it. I've even read it more than once. I've never really noticed any particular religion in it. Maybe because I've never been religious?
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 11:01 AM
You might like his space trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I tried those once. I like it when writers try a genre totally outside their normal... I think I only read the first one though. It was pretty weird. Psychedelic almost.
09-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Religious books tend to pamper emotional or philosophical comfort - he loves you, he's there for you - blah blah blah. They aren't there to teach, they're there to make people happy and more secure in their faith.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post