Reading Music Help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 12:39 PM by lucradis.)
Reading Music Help.
Argh!

I want to learn new songs but I'm a visual learner typically. I play sexy electric guitar sexily.
My issue arises when I attempt to find guitar song books instead of jamming with friends or learning from internet videos.
I only know how to read tabulature. Which for anyone that plays guitar knows, is a very basic stripped down version of sheet music. It's been described as the music version of paint by numbers.
I don't really agree with that because todays tabs have almost the same amount of info on them that sheet music does, but in a more readable form.

Anyways I don't actually want to debate about which form is actually better.

Most accurate music books for guitar aren't written in tab. They are written in regular old sheet music style and I can't read that shit. It's a bunch of gibberish.
I've been looking it up online hoping for something helpful but the teachers online rarely speak in layman's terms and instead appear to have the assumption that I already know what they are talking about which is ass backwards.

I need to learn this crap though, otherwise I might as well stop playing guitar because I've pretty well drudged the depths of music I like that is available in tab form or internet video form.

Is there anyone here that can tell me some basics to reading sheet music for guitar in terms someone who is mentally challenged would understand? Or maybe has a hint as to where I could look, or books I can get that are more readable?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
RE: Reaing Music Help.
I can read and write music, and I can tell you this much..you are not going to be able to get a crash course in it like you are wanting. you will have to bite the bullet and take lessons.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
[+] 1 user Likes reverendjeremiah's post
11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Nah I'll figure it out. It will just take some time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
11-04-2012, 12:28 PM
So, you can read tab but not chords?
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2012, 12:33 PM
No I can read chords too because I know most of them.

I just have trouble reading sheet music because it has all those symbols and it's laid out on a five line code instead of a simple six string set up. Sheet music uses five because it also uses the spaces between lines to tell you what each note is. That way it can be used for more than one instrument.

It's a bitch to figure out if you get used to the basic six lines for six strings set up of tabs.

Not only that, sheet music uses symbols to tell you how to play each note or chord, where for tab the only symbols that aren't self explanatory are the ones for sharp and flat. So once you get those down you're pretty much good.
Sheet music is like it's own language.

11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Ah, gotchya. I can't help, I can only read tab/chord, and very basic. If something's too much I just look up a simpler version of the song.
11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: Reading Music Help.
Yeah me too usually but I hate playing the easier version because it usually sounds so much thinner.
By the way Observer has a crush.
Also I had to change the title of this thread because I wrote reaing instead of reading. Apparently I'm not much of a reader in the first place and that might be my problem hahah.

11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Reading music isn't hard. I learned it as a kid.

The first thing you should learn is a middle C scale in treble. Middle C sits directly below the line on a floating line for indication. With each space and line you move up a letter: C, D, F, G, A, B

[Image: C_Major_scale_%28up_and_down%29.svg]

Rests indicate how long you should stop playing.

[Image: Music_rests.svg]

The most common are quarter rests (1/4), half rests (1/2) and whole rests (1). The number next to the rests indicate how many beats you are silent for.

Notes:

Eighth note (played for an eighth of a beat):
[Image: Eighth_notes_and_rest.svg]
[Image: Eighth_note_run.svg]

Quarter note (played for a quarter of a beat):
[Image: Quarter_note_run.png]

Half note (played for a half beat):
[Image: 300px-Half_notes_and_rest.svg.png]

Whole note (played for a whole beat):
[Image: Whole_note_and_rest.svg]

Sharps and flats are special cases that change the pitch of a note.

Sharp:
It looks like a pound sign. When placed in front of a note it indicates that you are to play that note as a sharp.
[Image: C_sharp_music.svg]

When placed next to the treble or bass symbol at the beginning indicates which key you are to play it in.
[Image: C-sharp-major_a-sharp-minor.svg]

Flat:
[Image: A_flat.svg]
[Image: C-flat-major_a-flat-minor.svg]

Time signatures are very important. They tell you how many beats are in each measure and the note value. Time signature is indicated at the beginning of the piece. The most common time signature is 4/4.
[Image: Common_time_signatures.gif]

This is a crash course... let me know if you don't get any of this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Frederick M Noad wrote some teach yourself classical guitar books - Solo guitar playing vols 1 & 2, with explanation of musical notation in there. I never got very far with guitar but I can read music for it thanks to him Tongue He's got a newer edition out than the one I had too. Think he also wrote a folk guitar book with music notation but I can't remember the title - just google him, sure you'll find it. They're excellent books.
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, its very simple actually. I finished musical school so I can be of some help. BUT after tomorrow, because I'm traveling back to visit my parents tonight, and it takes 8 hrs of traveling by bus so I'll probably be dead. In the mean time you can think of some specific questions you'd like answered. I mean, do you even know the notes, and the only problem is their duration and stuff, or do you need EVERYTHING (it's not that much of anything actually) Tongue

e: Oh I missed kings post, that's basics, yeah.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]