Reading Music Help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: Reading Music Help.
can you read the usual musical notation at all? or is it just a problem of translating them on to your guitar? because if it is the "translation" I can put up a quick video on youtube (tomorrow) showing you how to basically do it and how it works (at least on the guitar), like how to find a note on the guitar etc... Or I can offer a free skype cam session and show you the basics one to one (in that case you can ask right away and get an answer immediately).
lemme know what you prefer

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 02:43 AM
The fuck's wrong with you? Rock and roll don't need no notes. Play what your heart and fingers tell you to play, bitches!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Makes me love this community even more.

I have two main issues with sheet music, one being that I don't yet know what all the notation means, and the other being that since it's not in a six string format you have to memorize where each note is and then translate that to the six string format.

Also it has one guitar weakness which is that it never really tells you if you should be playing the same note higher or lower on the neck. But that isn't really a sheet music only problem as the majority of the tabs I read have the notes in the wrong part of the neck anyways.

For some reason when I read what KC wrote, which is essentially the same as everything I've found online for beginners, my brain thinks it's reading gibberish and I see this: asjehnfkn sjfnkjnf kj12 345 kjkjn23542 52 5234jnkkj C note laskdjkjhr 1245

I know it isn't gibberish, but my brain has a hard time connecting the words because I don't know all the pieces yet.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
(12-04-2012 11:46 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I know it isn't gibberish, but my brain has a hard time connecting the words because I don't know all the pieces yet.

It's like learning a new alphabet. You have to memorize what the symbol stands for.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah I just found a tutorial on the music theory basics that shows you with words and images. I'm digging it.

Like I said before I'm a visual learner, or physical is even better. But since you can't really learn how to read music physically, I'm stuck with visual.

Anyways, this is the site if anyone else is interested?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
12-04-2012, 12:03 PM
(12-04-2012 12:02 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah I just found a tutorial on the music theory basics that shows you with words and images. I'm digging it.

Like I said before I'm a visual learner, or physical is even better. But since you can't really learn how to read music physically, I'm stuck with visual.

Anyways, this is the site if anyone else is interested?
I took piano for 7 years, but the only thing that stuck was being able to read music.

For some reason, I never found that hard or challenging. I sucked horribly at piano, though.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
You're not going to make a very good preacher without some musical ability.

I suggest the accordion.

12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
rofl

And, I am the least likely Christian ever to become a preacher.

Don't ever see that happening.

12-04-2012, 12:38 PM
when you see someone explaining stuff on the guitar and you are playing the base, you just take the E A D G strings, because they are the ones we have in common and they are tuned exactly the same. it works the same too.
I'll put a little vid together and upload it, so you can see some easy ways to find your way through everything. I have taught the guitar before and I have played the base before. I'll give you a fast backround on all the basics. you will be surprised how much you can learn in 15 minutes Wink
but not today anymore, i am tired.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
12-04-2012, 03:16 PM
(11-04-2012 11:52 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I only know how to read tabulature. Which for anyone that plays guitar knows, is a very basic stripped down version of sheet music.

I read both and you've sold tablature short here.
Besides the obvious (tab indicates instrument fingering, standard notation does not),
at least in terms of Rock music, tablature is the only way to show things like:

pick slides, harmonic chiming (pinch harmonics), dive-bombing whammy bar antics,
hammer-ons, pull-offs, string-bending, sliding, tapping, hand-switching, etc.

For me personally, tab is the clear winner for guitar.
Standard notation is the winner for my piano. Thumbsup

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]