Reading Music Help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: Reading Music Help.
(12-04-2012 03:16 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 11:52 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I only know how to read tabulature. Which for anyone that plays guitar knows, is a very basic stripped down version of sheet music.

I read both and you've sold tablature short here.
Besides the obvious (tab indicates instrument fingering, standard notation does not),
at least in terms of Rock music, tablature is the only way to show things like:

pick slides, harmonic chiming (pinch harmonics), dive-bombing whammy bar antics,
hammer-ons, pull-offs, string-bending, sliding, tapping, hand-switching, etc.

For me personally, tab is the clear winner for guitar.
Standard notation is the winner for my piano. Thumbsup
I also wrote this part:
Quote: I don't really agree with that because todays tabs have almost the same
amount of info on them that sheet music does, but in a more readable
form.
I agree that tabs are overall the better format for guitar music. The problem comes in multiple forms though. The most accurate guitar music is written in Sheet music form not tab. Whether I like it or not. Also sheet music has time signatures so you know how to play something without hearing it.

I prefer tabs but I have to learn sheet music so there's more available for me to learn.

If you read my subsequent posts you will see that I've laid out many reasons I'm not a big fan of sheet music for guitar.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2012, 12:17 AM
(12-04-2012 05:58 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I agree that tabs are overall the better format for guitar music. The problem comes in multiple forms though. The most accurate guitar music is written in Sheet music form not tab. Whether I like it or not. Also sheet music has time signatures so you know how to play something without hearing it.

Well... yeah... I mean, are you using actual tab books or a crappy notepad version of tab, or something else?
I personally can't see how sheet music is more accurate if it can't even show finger position.
Also, all my tab books have time signatures. Music is separated into measures, just like standard.
I guess I'm wondering what kind of strange tab you're looking at that doesn't have these things.
My tabs show standard notation above and tab below. Like these:

[Image: AL_00-36745__05.jpg]

[Image: 192148.jpg]
[Image: MTR_09.png]
Also, standard sheet music doesn't tell you which tuning the guitar should be in.

Hey, it occurs to me that you might learn standard notation faster using this kind of tab,
since you can see both styles. Might help you to understand it better? Could be. Consider
Cheers!

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Lucradis,

Many people learn to play the guitar without ever knowing how to read notes or understanding musical theory. Tablature was around before musical notation was, and it worked out find for many.
However, with tablature you can't tell which notes are crotchet or minim beats, you can't denote a rest, a tie, or a vibrato. Basically, you will have to listen to a song and play it mostly by ear, with the numbers just helping you out.

The same thing goes for chords. The way I learnt to play chords started with the musical theory behind major, minor, 7, suspended (etc) chords and why we call them that. Then you can build any chord you want because you know which notes should be on that chord. However, plenty of people, some of them likely famous musicians and song-writers, just learn the chords by shape. They memorise hundreds of shapes, and when they see for example, Dsus2, they know which shape to play without knowing the theory behind it.

You don't need to learn to read notes to be awesome on that electric guitar. You don't even need to learn to read notes to write your own music. Personally, I'm a classical musician and my advise to people is usually: get a music theory book and study it. But that isn't really necessary.
I know that this website generally has tablature just underneath the sheet music: http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3

If you still want to learn to play notes, I suggest this pink book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Guide-Music-...1854724460
You could also get the workbooks and test your knowledge on your own.
You might even be able to find a pdf version online (I am not encouraging piracy, I just don't know if this is available in America). Just stick with it, it won't come easily. The first few pieces you play, you will need to isolate each note individually and maybe even write them down to help (or at least pencil in the fret number). But with practise, it'll become second nature. You will be able to look at a note and know what it is just as easily as you read the letters.

Good luck! There's nothing more fulfilling than mastering a new piece and shaping it. There's no greater feeling of happiness than hearing yourself make something so beautiful as music.
Just don't give up.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
13-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks Smoosh!

And Quid, you are using a combo of sheet and tab. That's not the same as genuine tab. It's a combo. The majority of tab books are tab only and in all honesty are horribly inaccurate. I have many I promise. Typically for tabs I look online or use programs like songsterr that allow me to both see and hear so that I can more easily gauge its accuracy.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
13-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Not genuine tab. OK...
Well, all 46 of my books are "combo".
Got them for cost when I was manager of Guitar Center in Scottsdale.
Hated the job, loved the perks.
Anyway, we carried hundreds of tab books and they were all "combo".
Even the shit music, haha.
So I would dispute your majority claim.
I don't know what to tell you.
Maybe you should seek out the non-genuine "combo" versions of the books you have now.
That way you'd have time sigs, etc. and it might help with learning standard notation.
Just sayin'.Undecided

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
13-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Just out of curiosity what brand were the tab books you carried?

I take your suggestion though and would love to find books locally that were hybrids however as I said before the majority of tab book available aren't hybrid and I've found myself unable to locate any at all for music I'd like to learn. That's going through 7 different music stores over a period of five years. Maybe it's the stores I don't know.

I see them online all the time, but I don't order things online for a variety of reasons.

It's a moot point really because I'm not denying how much I prefer tabulature and I also didn't really want to get into a debate over which one is better. I just want to learn to read sheet music. That is the path that I am on. It will open up many different possibilities for learning.

I appreciate all suggestions. And thank you very much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you listen to any religious music? TheLogicalAthiest 5 51 22-07-2014 01:30 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Religious Music CiderThinker 19 189 11-07-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  33 Days of Music Miss Suzanne 140 1,762 17-06-2014 05:01 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Indie Music Thread WeAreTheCosmos 64 1,152 07-06-2014 07:37 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  my music DawkinsFan420 1 85 04-06-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: FreeThinker69
  Classical and Instrumental Music Thread Michael_Tadlock 14 203 29-05-2014 04:11 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  Days of Music? Miss Suzanne 5 109 18-04-2014 05:41 AM
Last Post: ELK12695