Reading the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Reading the Bible
Hey guys. I'm considering reading the Bible, because I need all that extra ammo Wink
I want a "Skeptic's Annotated Bible", but I'm not out of my parent's house yet, and that'd start a bit of controversy, not that my dad is going to hate me or anything, but I don't want to get too involved with my family in religion.

So, when I finally get the time to read the Bible, should I go front to back, or should I focus on specific ammo-chapters, such as Leviticus? I feel I have some strong arguments, although I am not anywhere near the level of many of you, but I know that the Bible can give me a weapon of unbelievable power.

I have been able to coax my fellow Christian classmates into explicitly saying "The Bible is 100% true", which is murder. If they deny this, then the Bible is not a credible source at all, correct? Then, there are those who say that "it is not literal", but I don't think many I know are on this level, with enough knowledge to be able to claim this. I know that I can easily show them the silliness in their argument, and once they say that the Bible is "100% correct", they cannot deny anything that the Bible says. Welcome slavery, ridiculous creation accounts, etc.

My go-to-argument as of now is still my original, the argument that states that Christianity is no different from any other religion (first, getting them to say that Christianity implies all other religions who differ in ANY minute aspect are false), then showing them the similarities, and asking if they have any evidence of uniqueness among Christianity (claims of Jesus did such and such are easily linked to Muhammed, Hindu gods, etc.). However, the Bible would take me to a whole new level.

And lastly, I'd like to thank you all, atheist or theist, agnostic or gnostic! You've all given me excellent viewpoints and arguments to consider, and I hope to become as well-versed as you all. Arguments with some of my classmates have led them to tough spots. One guy, a Christian, and one who I cannot hit with the concept of sin too well, because of his "piousness", gave me an argument against evolution that I was able to refute (if evolution was true, then we should see the complete array of evolution, including examples of the first land animals, to which I replied that natural selection favored those with stronger legs or whatever, eliminating those "in-between" species of animals), and I also got him stuck into "a few corners". He said he congratulates me on the toughness of my arguments, and I'd like to hear that more often! He's a smart guy as well, so it was nice knowing I could stump someone with the intelligence of more than my right shoe.

I still technically consider myself an agnostic atheist, because I believe you cannot disprove the existence of a deity, but I assume that there is none, unless I am given adequate evidence of one.

Thanks!

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nsguy1350's post
12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: Reading the Bible
If you are 100% devoted to reading the WHOLE bible, you can start from the beginning.

But seriously, Old Testament is hard to get through since it's all about genocide, sacrifices and plagues. Hell/Trinity/Jesus/Satan isn't even there either. Christians usually don't emphasize much on the OT.

Read some of the OT then jump to the NT is probably the best way.

I find that the best way to understand it is to read it with an open heart. Don't follow the thoughts of other theists/atheists. Make your own opinion.
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
If you are interested in having "ammo then you damn well better read the entire thing. Old and new testament, and preferably the most accepted translation.
It's important to know context and history. So learn that as well. Know your shit.

I used to think I knew my shit pretty well, having read the new testament several times and the old testament once or twice. But then I came here. There are some people here who really really know their shit. Puts me to shame.
So much so that I vowed to reread the bible, and the correct version this time, as soon as I could find a copy. (for cheap)

Having only a piece of the puzzle can embarrass you muchly if you get into it with a religious person who knows their theology better than you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I know theologies pretty well. Ask me what you need.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
[Image: 08.gif]

This guy. This is the kind of guy that would make you look silly in a theological debate if you weren't somewhat familiar with the theology being discussed.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Debating scripture for me is like arguing whether Barbie is a whore or Ken is gay.
It’s just make believe. Make up any interpretation you want.
These are things children do. Children of God is a just description.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
If you do read it, annotate the shit out of it and get those little post it stickers. One benefit is that it's blasphemous to write all over the thing, and the other benefit is that you have your own crib notes when you're done.

Shameless self-promotion:
Atheist T-Shirts from the Atheist-Monkey T-Shirt Company
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 09:35 PM by craniumonempty.)
Before you read, watch evid3nc3's vid about some of the history of the gods in the Bible. It starts to make a lot more sense knowing where it came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
13-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Scope this - http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-the-Bible. The Internet Infidels also go on a pretty good sacrilegious romp.

Personally I think reading the Bible is masochism. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Personally I feel no need dive into the details of the Koran or the Bible. there is enough bs stuff there on the surface to discredit the whole thing without going into details. I am not a biblical scholar and do not aspire to be one. Besides spending that much time with it only gives it credence. I don't need to read Mein Kampf in detail to know that many of the basic messages there are wrong. Arguing scripture with a devoted theist is silly. They know the text better than you and have already suspended rational thought in their understanding of it so it isn't an even debate since one side is not playing with a full deck.