Reading the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Reading the Bible
Ok, I remember trying to read the bible like ten different times when I was younger and still (sort of) believed in god. Now I recently started reading it and flew through Genesis like it was nothing.

I guess viewing it as a comedy rather than an educational book makes all the difference. Am I alone or is it easier to read the bible once you realize it's a load of crap?

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nbberm2's post
20-06-2014, 03:46 PM
RE: Reading the Bible
It's easier to read once you take off the holy blinders, that's for sure.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I read the bible recently and It opened my eyes to the truth of gods will.
Everything made perfect sense and being completely true until I woke up screaming and realized that everything that had just happened was just a nightmare.

....good think I have not lost my sense of logic or I would be in trouble.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
20-06-2014, 10:26 PM
I have never read the bible as a believer. I remember distinctly picking up the bible for the first time when I was about 16. I kind of expected it to ring with some sort of holy resonance. The bible meant so much to so many people, I expected to be impressed by it. I was shocked primarily by how boring it was. At the time what I took away from it is that ancient peoples where really liked to write about agreements and covenants.

I revisited the bible again over the last year and, armed with a better translation and better literary prowess, I have started to see the book the same way most atheists see it. I think if you are reading the bible as if it is an ancient religious text than the bible is not very difficult to understand. The translators took a lot of the work out of it for us. If you are a believer, and you need to read something divine in every page, I think the bible is a bit of a head game. Everything you read in it that seems to be irrelevant, or make no sense, or be outright horrible has to be a cryptic metaphor for some great and divine truth. As an atheist we just get to read it like it is any other book at take it at face value. Probably one of many reasons why atheist often know far more about the bible than believers.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
23-06-2014, 06:20 AM
(20-06-2014 01:53 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  Ok, I remember trying to read the bible like ten different times when I was younger and still (sort of) believed in god. Now I recently started reading it and flew through Genesis like it was nothing.

Yeah, back when I believed, I made at least two attempts to read it. One starting at Genesis (I puked out somewhere around Deuteronomy) and the second time starting with Matthew (I stopped in the middle of Acts).

(20-06-2014 01:53 PM)nbberm2 Wrote:  I guess viewing it as a comedy rather than an educational book makes all the difference. Am I alone or is it easier to read the bible once you realize it's a load of crap?

I haven't tried reading it since I stopped believing, but I could see it as being a lot easier to stomach. I know when I was having trouble with my faith, I decided I needed to start reading the Bible again. I picked it up and started where I'd left off years earlier in Acts. It didn't help. The more I read, the less I saw a loving god in the world or in that book.

That being said, for me, it might be even harder to read now that I don't believe it. Sure, I won't have to pause every three verses to figure out what the hell it means, but I'll have to work up the desire to even read it in the first place. I've already got a few other books that I'd actually like to read sometime on my list. The Bible is not competing with any of those at this point in my life.