Reading the entire Bible, again!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 06:47 AM
RE: Reading the entire Bible, again!
I've read it several times. If nothing else it's a good source of a lot of English language... There's a lot of common phrases that are in use every day which trace back to the Bible. It also enables you to understand a lot of obscure sounding references.

And when I read it the first few times I was trying to be a believer Unsure

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 06:51 AM
(20-05-2014 06:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  And when I read it the first few times I was trying to be a believer Unsure

That's so damned cute. I like that little itty bitty type

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
20-05-2014, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 05:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
I tried a different tact on my reread. Second time around I only read the red letters in the Red Letter version of the New Testament in the Aramaic Version in Plain English (BibleHub's got it), ignored all the commentary from the fuckin' peanut gallery and brought my own context, deliberation, and interpretation to the red letters. Came away a Christian atheist and realizing that them calling themselves christian don't even know what that even fucking means. Buying into some religion's supposedly authoritative interpretation of The Word is not only lazy, it's fucking pussy. I can figure The Word out all by myself and you so-called christian fucks have seriously misinterpreted it. (Except maybe Pope Francis, aka the AntiChrist. Hobo )

Anyway, just something to consider KrautMeister. I found it an interesting and illuminating exercise.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-05-2014, 11:35 PM
(20-05-2014 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I tried a different tact on my reread. Second time around I only read the red letters in the Red Letter version of the New Testament in the Aramaic Version in Plain English (BibleHub's got it), ignored all the commentary from the fuckin' peanut gallery and brought my own context, deliberation, and interpretation to the red letters. Came away a Christian atheist and realizing that them calling themselves christian don't even know what that even fucking means. Buying into some religion's supposedly authoritative interpretation of The Word is not only lazy, it's fucking pussy. I can figure The Word out all by myself and you so-called christian fucks have seriously misinterpreted it. (Except maybe Pope Francis, aka the AntiChrist. Hobo )

Anyway, just something to consider KrautMeister. I found it an interesting and illuminating exercise.

IIRC even the Man couldn't stop himself from gloating every now and then about how all who failed to listen to him were gonna buuuuuuuuuuuuurn.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-05-2014, 02:44 AM
I've never been able to make it through the whole thing - always found it tedious.
21-05-2014, 03:33 AM
I've read the New Testament all the way through. A fun little yarn but it gets tedious being repeated so many times in contradictory ways. I prefer the film version that came out called Rashomon.
21-05-2014, 03:46 AM
(21-05-2014 03:33 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I prefer the film version that came out called Rashomon.

Strange. I don't remember you liking Rashomon.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
21-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I think the bible was intentionally made boring in some places so your brain could fall asleep a little bit, think less critically, and favor cherry picking over detail.

Dodgy I've out-stepped quite a lot lately.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
21-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah, a person's brain has it's defenses. It's going to use them when it starts feeling tortured.

Dodgy I've out-stepped quite a lot lately.
[+] 2 users Like Lienda Bella's post
21-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Glutton for punishment....Wait! Is that a sin? I have no idea. Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post