Reading through the bible again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 01:30 PM
RE: Reading through the bible again
On the other hand, I have seen/heard several talks by JT Eberhard (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/), and he never fails to state emphatically that it is possible to "turn" theists using reason. He then reinforces this point by asking how many in the audience were once theists (and are now atheists), Usually, a majority of hands go up. Everyone on this forum who has come from theism to atheism is living proof that the transition is possible.

However, I have never had any luck convincing a theist of the error of his/her ways. I defer to JT, though, who has much more experience at this sort of thing (and maybe he's just a better debater than I am). I think it may be necessary for the theist to at least begin questioning things on his own. My transition was completed by reading the likes of Nietzsche and Bertrand Russell, but I already had a pretty good skeptical "head of steam" on my own before I read them. They just confirmed what I was already thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Have you seen this contradictions in the bible infographic yet?

[Image: y7apu4ur.jpg]

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/20...adictions/
[/quote]

Yes I have I actually want to frame that as a poster lol
30-06-2014, 02:07 PM
(30-06-2014 10:14 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I started reading the bible from the beginning again. My first two times actually reading the whole thing I was actually in the beginning phases of my atheism. This time I went into with more understanding on scientific processes and theories. So I noticed something I never had before...the beginning of the days as noted in Genesis has some huge problems from the first few verses.

1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

So I started to wonder....where is the sun? Is it just implied that he created the sun here? Even if that is the case doesn't light take years to travel the distance to the earth?

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Oh....so he created it...days after he made light? Where did the light from the third verse come from then? Another question this passage raises- I'm guessing the other "light" is the moon....Doesn't the moon reflect light not give it off?Blink

I seriously had to put this down for a while after just 20 verses.

Even more amazing, plants came about before the sun! (Gen.1:11-13)
Compare Genesis 1 and 2 and you'll see two different creation accounts.
Doc
30-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Even more amazing, plants came about before the sun! (Gen.1:11-13)
Doc
[/quote]

That's not the only thing. I also noticed that the creation of man is mentioned once in Genesis 1 and again in Genesis 2. So did he create separate humans in the first chapter then adam and eve the second time?
30-06-2014, 02:25 PM
(30-06-2014 02:17 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Even more amazing, plants came about before the sun! (Gen.1:11-13)
Doc

That's not the only thing. I also noticed that the creation of man is mentioned once in Genesis 1 and again in Genesis 2. So did he create separate humans in the first chapter then adam and eve the second time?
[/quote]

MrKrispy,
Don't forget to include the first parenthesis (looks something like this:[quote='generic name' pid='XXX' dateline='12345'], when you reply. It makes for an easier read.

You're right. There are a ton of theories as to why there are two separate creation accounts. If you're not already familiar with it, look up the "documentary hypothesis".
Doc
30-06-2014, 02:28 PM
(30-06-2014 02:25 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 02:17 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Even more amazing, plants came about before the sun! (Gen.1:11-13)
Doc

MrKrispy,
Don't forget to include the first parenthesis (looks something like this:"{quote='generic name' pid='XXX' dateline='12345'}", when you reply. It makes for an easier read.

You're right. There are a ton of theories as to why there are two separate creation accounts. If you're not already familiar with it, look up the "documentary hypothesis".
Doc
30-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Now I just made a fool of myself!

Doc
30-06-2014, 02:33 PM
(30-06-2014 02:29 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Now I just made a fool of myself!

Doc

Laugh out load
30-06-2014, 02:34 PM
(30-06-2014 02:33 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 02:29 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Now I just made a fool of myself!

Doc

Laugh out load

High five!
30-06-2014, 03:05 PM
I reread parts of it too after realizing I was an atheist. However, I quickly became interested in WHY it was written. Literacy was such a rare commodity back then and to spend so much time writing this and then have contradictory and redundant texts (Genesis 1 & 2 for example) Left me with a lot of questions, but the answer is fascinating and can be found right here:

OT Texts/Another look

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition