Ready for Winter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Ready for Winter?
I don't go outside so I was ready all year lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2015, 01:54 PM
(29-10-2015 01:27 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 12:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hell, they don't have to have that much to shut things down, all they need is a snowflake sighting anywhere downtown and they send everyone home.

I'm out in the sticks. Unincorporated area...On the edge of civilization (meaning there is a Target a few miles away).

Not really anywhere important. Tongue

Washington DC is like that. I once drove to the pet store when there was about 1/4 inch of snow on the roads. DC's normally packed streets were nearly empty and there were only 2 people working at the store, and they were only able to make it in because they were within walking distance. Laugh out load

Here in North East Ohio, if there's less than a foot, being late isn't even excusable.

I remember when Obama was first elected president and there was a storm that hit DC, he was amazed that the city shut down. After living in Chicago I guess he was rather puzzled.

When I was a kid we lived in the Sierras near Tahoe. Our cabin was about two miles from Donner Pass. The snow comes down in buckets and it wasn't unusual for it to snow 4 feet overnight. Much of the winter would see 8 or 9 feet of snow on the ground with more piling up. This is the Donner Pass area.

[Image: SodaSprings3_11.jpg]

I think the average snowfall was around 400 inches a year. This might have changed with global warming though.

If I remember it right the year the Donner Party got trapped the snowfall was over 25 feet deep. One year around the 1890's or so the snowfall was over 66 feet deep. That's SIXTY-SIX feet....not inches.

Not a good place to take a shortcut on the way to California.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-10-2015, 02:11 PM
(29-10-2015 01:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 01:27 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Washington DC is like that. I once drove to the pet store when there was about 1/4 inch of snow on the roads. DC's normally packed streets were nearly empty and there were only 2 people working at the store, and they were only able to make it in because they were within walking distance. Laugh out load

Here in North East Ohio, if there's less than a foot, being late isn't even excusable.

I remember when Obama was first elected president and there was a storm that hit DC, he was amazed that the city shut down. After living in Chicago I guess he was rather puzzled.

When I was a kid we lived in the Sierras near Tahoe. Our cabin was about two miles from Donner Pass. The snow comes down in buckets and it wasn't unusual for it to snow 4 feet overnight. Much of the winter would see 8 or 9 feet of snow on the ground with more piling up. This is the Donner Pass area.

[Image: SodaSprings3_11.jpg]

I think the average snowfall was around 400 inches a year. This might have changed with global warming though.

If I remember it right the year the Donner Party got trapped the snowfall was over 25 feet deep. One year around the 1890's or so the snowfall was over 66 feet deep. That's SIXTY-SIX feet....not inches.

Not a good place to take a shortcut on the way to California.

We used to go to lake Tahoe during the winter....once during the winter we went to Reno. Facepalm

I was listening to the weather all morning and urged hubby to leave. We were already checked out, but his dad decided to play some slot machines.

So they kept saying five more minutes....Facepalm

Finally we got them all together and it's snowing hard. We just made it to almost the summit and they let us go without chains, saying they thought we'd make it.

We just passed the summit and they closed 50.

Another car wizzzed passed us (a BMW) and we were going so super slow,
We went a couple more miles and saw them pushing the car out of a bank of snow. We passed them and chuckled.

Eventually the snow turned to rain and it rained very hard all the home....

It was totally a white knuckle drive for hubby.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-10-2015, 02:52 PM
(29-10-2015 01:36 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 01:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here also the problem is that we don't have plows. So while ODOT might plow the freeways and major roads, but the streets around those aren't touched.

Yeah, DC is like that. They have to get Virginia and Maryland to plow for them... But 1/4 inch doesn't need to be plowed.

I can understand why when they got 24 inches, it shut everything down. They've got nowhere to put the snow, and almost no plows to move it anyway. But seriously, a light dusting...

I'm pretty sure that in that storm they had both plows operating. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2015, 02:56 PM
(29-10-2015 02:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 01:36 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yeah, DC is like that. They have to get Virginia and Maryland to plow for them... But 1/4 inch doesn't need to be plowed.

I can understand why when they got 24 inches, it shut everything down. They've got nowhere to put the snow, and almost no plows to move it anyway. But seriously, a light dusting...

I'm pretty sure that in that storm they had both plows operating. Drinking Beverage

That's what she said. Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
31-10-2015, 04:52 AM
Here in North Mission everyone loses their minds when it snows. 1/4" of powdery snow? CLOSE THE STORES! CLOSE THE SCHOOLS! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

They should call it a bread warning instead of a snow warning, because everyone runs to the store to buy a million loaves of bread.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
31-10-2015, 05:07 AM
(31-10-2015 04:52 AM)mecanna Wrote:  Here in North Mission everyone loses their minds when it snows. 1/4" of powdery snow? CLOSE THE STORES! CLOSE THE SCHOOLS! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

They should call it a bread warning instead of a snow warning, because everyone runs to the store to buy a million loaves of bread.

When I lived in SC I learned that once the mention of a possible snowflake was made on the radio or TV that you had about five minutes to get to the store or all that would be left was olives and charcoal. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
31-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Extra 100 lbs of fat. Check.
4" of dried berries on my paws. Check.
Den cleaned. Check.

Bring it on.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Just finished doing some tweaking on one of the propane space heaters. (Pilot light wasn't quite right.. a strong breeze kept knocking it out..) If there's something I missed - I can't think of it.....

Once I get a deer or three processed and in the freezer (and maybe make some jerky too) we'll fill the freezer to the top.

I suppose I should hit the liquor store and stash a few bottles, just in case we DO get snowed in at some point....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-10-2015, 11:50 AM
OK after reading your posts, I'm going to say NOT ready. I have a list to do, but it is pouring outside.
I do have plenty of propane and non-ethanol gas with stabilizer in it for the generators. Don't hunt but I have a half beef on order for the freezers.