Real Christians Don't Call the Police

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Real Christians Don't Call the Police
I was browsing through the bible this evening when I came across this gem...

1 Corinthians 6

1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Let me summarize... Christians are not to bring each other to courts, and following the same logic, not go to the police. Apparently those godless heathens on the judicial bench aren't fit to rule over Christians, and so matters between Christians should be taken to a Christian arbiter and nowhere else.

Whatever happened to "judge not lest ye be judged" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? Apparently you can decide matters between others, just so long as those bastards belonging to other religions or to no religion don't get the chance to judge you.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2012, 06:49 PM
RE: Real Christians Don't Call the Police
(02-01-2012 06:35 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I was browsing through the bible this evening when I came across this gem...

1 Corinthians 6

1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Let me summarize... Christians are not to bring each other to courts, and following the same logic, not go to the police. Apparently those godless heathens on the judicial bench aren't fit to rule over Christians, and so matters between Christians should be taken to a Christian arbiter and nowhere else.

Whatever happened to "judge not lest ye be judged" or "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? Apparently you can decide matters between others, just so long as those bastards belonging to other religions or to no religion don't get the chance to judge you.

Having spent a few years as a Christian, I never once heard this as any justification to not call the police. You say it follows the same logic, but I don't see it. This has to do with disputes, not with crime. And it doesn't have to do with a "godless" judge ruling over Christians. In fact, Paul and Jesus both say to live as good citizens of the Empire and to pray for those in authority over you. Instead, this is a teaching about how Christians ought to treat each other and what to do when there is a dispute between two Christians. If you borrow my lawnmower and don't bring it back, instead of taking you before Judge Judy, I'm supposed to try to work it out with you first. If it can't be worked out between us, then the church leaders are to help us out. The specific language is over "small matters," not over crimes. I'm all for bashing the Bible, but let's be honest and diligent in our bashing.

Side note, I've noticed a lot of Atheists seem to read the King James Version. This perplexes me. Most Christians haven't picked up a KJV in years. The only Christians I know who do this are probably in their 70s and 80s. There are newer and clearer versions out there. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
It looks like this passage is only talking about civil cases so I don't really see a problem with him telling Christians to settle these disputes among themselves rather than creating divisions within the Church.

Paul and Jesus both tell Christians to submit to the law so I'm pretty sure this isn't telling them to never go to a judge or call the police.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
03-01-2012, 04:10 PM
(02-01-2012 06:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Having spent a few years as a Christian, I never once heard this as any justification to not call the police. You say it follows the same logic, but I don't see it. This has to do with disputes, not with crime. And it doesn't have to do with a "godless" judge ruling over Christians.

I never heard such a thing either, which is why this caught my interest recently. While your average protestant may see it the same way that you do, Jehovah's Witnesses do. But even though we haven't heard such a thing, it doesn't mean the bible doesn't say it. Were you ever told that women aren't allowed to speak up in church? Well of course you've read it, but it's glossed over because it's incongruent with the zeitgeist. Churches don't enforce such a thing and don't teach it.

While the bible does say that you are to obey the legal authorities, it's possible that it says the opposite as well - which would make it a contradiction.

BTW, click the link. I think you'll enjoy it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
(03-01-2012 04:10 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(02-01-2012 06:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Having spent a few years as a Christian, I never once heard this as any justification to not call the police. You say it follows the same logic, but I don't see it. This has to do with disputes, not with crime. And it doesn't have to do with a "godless" judge ruling over Christians.

I never heard such a thing either, which is why this caught my interest recently. While your average protestant may see it the same way that you do, Jehovah's Witnesses do. But even though we haven't heard such a thing, it doesn't mean the bible doesn't say it. Were you ever told that women aren't allowed to speak up in church? Well of course you've read it, but it's glossed over because it's incongruent with the zeitgeist. Churches don't enforce such a thing and don't teach it.

While the bible does say that you are to obey the legal authorities, it's possible that it says the opposite as well - which would make it a contradiction.

BTW, click the link. I think you'll enjoy it.

You're right, that's a good link.Smile I always had a tough time with that idea of subjecting yourself to the authorities. Dietrich Bonheoffer was a hero of mine. If you know anything about him, he was a Lutheran Pastor who was involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler and was hanged just days before the end of WW2. He certainly didn't obey the legal authority, but he felt led by his convictions to do something about the horrible dictator leading his country.

As far as women not speaking in churches...It's not always glossed over. I was in a church that did not allow female pastors or any women to teach an adult Bible Study Class. It was one of the many reasons I couldn't stick with it any more.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post