Real Reasons for Ratzinger's Retirement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 08:12 AM
RE: Real Reasons for Ratzinger's Retirement
(12-01-2016 07:41 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 04:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your #2 was the first thing I thought of, and it is possible. Perhaps there is now a smoking gun between a victim and his time as Prefect of the Congregation of the Faith. But I doubt it. It's just general incompetence. A couple years ago they realized how bad things were when they hired that Fox News PR guy to actually sit in the Apostolic Palace in the central daily meetings, as an advisor. I don't remember which of the blunders prompted the hiring exactly, but they knew they were in trouble. Then in the recent "butler" scandal, the Italian newspapers exposed what disarray his administration is in, and the infighting that is constant. So I suspect they just convinced him he was such a poor administrator it was time to go. If he had ever assembled a strong team with central power it would be different, but it seems the various factions, each have enough power to hold each other at bay.
But come on, he's an 85 year old. long past retirement age German academic, who was a seminary professor, and never ran anything in his life. How would someone like that be expected to run a huge organization ? It was a blunder to ever put him in office in the first place.
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/02/154093529/...gulfs-rome
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/world/....html?_r=0
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01...62590.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...hurch.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatileaks_scandal
http://abcnews.go.com/International/vati...d=17378353

Hey careful. It is God that put him in office. Do you think God makes blunders?

If by god, you mean old white guys in funny hats. Yes, that is very possible. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 09:56 AM
(11-01-2016 11:27 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Christ, the pope's brother was a kiddie fucker too? I'm starting to wonder how many preists in Rome actually AREN'T pedos.

Do any of the accusations implicate him directly? He was in charge and responsible for any coverup and for not stopping it in the first place but I haven't seen him accused of participating.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
(12-01-2016 09:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 11:27 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Christ, the pope's brother was a kiddie fucker too? I'm starting to wonder how many preists in Rome actually AREN'T pedos.

Do any of the accusations implicate him directly? He was in charge and responsible for any coverup and for not stopping it in the first place but I haven't seen him accused of participating.

No, the articles make it clear that no one has accused him (the pope's brother) of sexual abuse. Or physical abuse for that matter.

However the article also makes it clear that the abuse was common knowledge amongst the staff. It was frowned upon but not punished.

The cover-up and condoning are as evil as the acts themselves, albeit in a different way.

How fucked up does a person have to be to condone this?
How can you sleep at night, when you know that children are being abused?
When you know who is doing it? When you know when and where?
At the very least, what keeps you from picking up the phone and calling the police?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-01-2016, 10:33 AM
(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 09:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Do any of the accusations implicate him directly? He was in charge and responsible for any coverup and for not stopping it in the first place but I haven't seen him accused of participating.

No, the articles make it clear that no one has accused him (the pope's brother) of sexual abuse. Or physical abuse for that matter.

However the article also makes it clear that the abuse was common knowledge amongst the staff. It was frowned upon but not punished.

The cover-up and condoning are as evil as the acts themselves, albeit in a different way.

How fucked up does a person have to be to condone this?
How can you sleep at night, when you know that children are being abused?
When you know who is doing it? When you know when and where?
At the very least, what keeps you from picking up the phone and calling the police?

It looks like Italy's statute of limitation puts all of the criminals in the clear. They can't even charge them with anything.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-01-2016, 12:27 PM
(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How fucked up does a person have to be to condone this?

Fucked up enough to put their faith in a god.

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How can you sleep at night, when you know that children are being abused?

Because god allows it (free will argument), and will punish or forgive on his own terms.

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  When you know who is doing it? When you know when and where?

It's not their place to judge (except when it is, like hating on consenting gay adults having sex).

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  At the very least, what keeps you from picking up the phone and calling the police?

When absolute forgiveness is but a mere confession and a few hail Mary's away, who needs secular authorities? The Catholic Church are god's representatives on Earth after all. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2016, 06:27 AM
(12-01-2016 12:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How fucked up does a person have to be to condone this?

Fucked up enough to put their faith in a god.

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  How can you sleep at night, when you know that children are being abused?

Because god allows it (free will argument), and will punish or forgive on his own terms.

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  When you know who is doing it? When you know when and where?

It's not their place to judge (except when it is, like hating on consenting gay adults having sex).

(12-01-2016 10:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  At the very least, what keeps you from picking up the phone and calling the police?

When absolute forgiveness is but a mere confession and a few hail Mary's away, who needs secular authorities? The Catholic Church are god's representatives on Earth after all. Dodgy

You nailed it.BowingBowingBowingBowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 06:33 AM
"They will get someone in charge who's more in touch and likeable, someone with a squeaky clean past, and they'll have a new lease of life and heaps of new publicity."

Mmmmm. I was right, wasn't I!

My guess is they employed some switched on pr firm to choose the current puppet.
16-01-2016, 06:38 AM
(12-01-2016 08:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 07:41 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Hey careful. It is God that put him in office. Do you think God makes blunders?

Ummmm ... yeah. Apparently big ones.

Ummmm ... no. It all happens in line with His ineffable plan.

Remember, He's a fucking sadist. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]