Real Reasons for Ratzinger's Retirement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 12:12 AM
RE: Real Reasons for Ratzinger's Retirement
(11-02-2013 06:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  He's going. First one to retire "voluntarily" in 600 years. Why? Here are some possibilities.

1. He's being pushed off the perch because he's so incredibly incompetent. Why did it take them so long to work that out? Yet even his prepared speeches (written and checked over by those in the system) were abysmal, and totally out of touch with the 21st century. His letter to Catholic Ireland is a classic example.

Only voluntary resignations are permitted under church rules.

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  2. There's a serious scandal (another one) about to be made public, and he's in the middle of it.

He's the Pope. Of COURSE he's going to be in the middle of it! Thats his job. He is where the buck stops in the RCC.
No Pope can say....oh well, that major scandal has nothing to do with me.

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  3. Catholics in the developed world are leaving the church in their millions, and the flow of cash is compromised, so it's time for some serious pr work, and he's not the man.

False. Catholic numbers are increasing. Eg. In Australia.

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  4. He's getting older and more out of touch. That didn't stop all the others hanging on.

Yep. People get old and die. Well spotted! Excellent theory! I wonder if all those other Popes who died in office expected to do so.
Death has a funny way of catching people by surprise.

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  5. He, himself, is frightened of being knocked off (ie murdered). If that sounds far fetched, read up about the last 2 pope's deaths. You don't die in a hospital if you're a pope.

Yeah. That sounds far-fetched. But hey, I dont expect you to be an evidence-based, rational atheist 24/7.
Enjoy your wacky, imaginative conspiracy theory. You could even send a movie script to Hollywood Thumbsup

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  In a way, I'm disappointed he's going. The Vatican was dying. The really serious shit was, at some time soon, in the next few years, going to hit the fan, and I think the power and prestige of the Vatican would have been seriously compromised. They will get someone in charge who's more in touch and likeable...

Yeah. Being likeable. That will do it. Tons of people go for style over substance.
Team Atheism needs more friendly likeable folk too IMHO.
Nothing like a few jokes, a great big smile and lovely white teeth to win over the skeptics.

Big Grin Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge? Its going cheap! Big Grin

AH! Now I know what IRC stands for.

Insipid Roman Catholic.

I was going to reply to you with some facts, but remembered you're not interested in facts.

For those who are...
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/...enDocument
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
12-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Here's what P Z Myers had to say...

"Get rid of one, and they’re just going to appoint another one. It’s not as if the job description has changed: the primary criteria are the ability to profess brain-buggering bullshit and work your way through the arcane medieval hierarchy of church politics, so it’s not as if we’re going to be surprised. It’s going to be another old guy who has dedicated his entire life to superstitious nonsense."

Yep.

And there will be a whole generation of brainwashed catholics who think the new geezer's a great guy.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
12-02-2013, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 07:38 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-02-2013 02:33 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Here's what P Z Myers had to say...

"Get rid of one, and they’re just going to appoint another one. It’s not as if the job description has changed: the primary criteria are the ability to profess brain-buggering bullshit and work your way through the arcane medieval hierarchy of church politics, so it’s not as if we’re going to be surprised. It’s going to be another old guy who has dedicated his entire life to superstitious nonsense."

Yep.

And there will be a whole generation of brainwashed catholics who think the new geezer's a great guy.
It is really hilarious. Many news organizations are saying they will present "the latest from the Vatican". Haha.
*As if* there was anything new. The old men, appointed by the other even older GUY, ONLY because they could be trusted to do nothing unusual, (in their red robes/dresses, as that was how early Renaissance Italian CIVIL officials were dressed), will elect another GUY to appoint some more, and play dress-up for a few more years. They look like "birds on a wire" all lined up in their helmets.
Of course, anyone who knows the history of the church, knows the seats of the Patriarchs were ALL EQUAL, originally, until late in the game, Rome decided to usurp, and change the power structure, and back-end justify it, causing the great schism.
http://www.friesian.com/popes.htm
Love PZ. He teaches up in Minnesota, where my best cousins live. It would be fun to drive up to his school and meet him. He's very articulate, and destroys the nonsense quite effectively.
Who wouldn't want such nice booties. Eat your heart out Kim Kardashian.
[Image: vatican-pope-pius_3243_600x450.jpg]
They do look nice in the fish mouth hat of the ancient fish god, Dagon, (where the original "arc of the covenant" probably came from also).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4glgTfl2C0vDuqcnNzEv...0vV14Jdwlw]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2013, 07:16 AM
The only Dagon I worship is Mehrunes Dagon! Tongue

[Image: Shrine_of_Mehrunes_Dagon_Skyrim.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
(11-02-2013 05:03 PM)tiorthan Wrote:  An atheist pope?
Obviously. All popes are atheists. Can anyone claw his way that high in any organization while retaining his faith?

My theory as to this resignation: His five sons, skinheads in their 60's, have been approached by the producers of a reality show, but the network won't air it while the old guy is in a position to sue for libel. Maybe they offered him a part.

*spoiler*
[In the Season 2 premier, he finally marries their mother.]

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
12-02-2013, 08:31 AM

(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  He's going. First one to retire "voluntarily" in 600 years. Why? Here are some possibilities.

1. He's being pushed off the perch because he's so incredibly incompetent. Why did it take them so long to work that out? Yet even his prepared speeches (written and checked over by those in the system) were abysmal, and totally out of touch with the 21st century. His letter to Catholic Ireland is a classic example.

2. There's a serious scandal (another one) about to be made public, and he's in the middle of it.

3. Catholics in the developed world are leaving the church in their millions, and the flow of cash is compromised, so it's time for some serious pr work, and he's not the man

4. He's getting older and more out of touch. That didn't stop all the others hanging on.

5. He, himself, is frightened of being knocked off (ie murdered). If that sounds far fetched, read up about the last 2 pope's deaths. You don't die in a hospital if you're a pope.

In a way, I'm disappointed he's going. The Vatican was dying. The really serious shit was, at some time soon, in the next few years, going to hit the fan, and I think the power and prestige of the Vatican would have been seriously compromised. They will get someone in charge who's more in touch and likeable, someone with a squeaky clean past, and they'll have a new lease of life and heaps of new publicity. That's a shame, because one of the most evil and longest running scams to have ever been inflicted on mankind doesn't deserve a life in the 21st century.

What does everyone else think?

Though I can hardly bring myself to comprehend or accept it, I actually agree with you. But you shouldn't bemoan the RCC. It's the greatest generator of atheists on the planet. Yes
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 09:09 AM
(12-02-2013 08:31 AM)Egor Wrote:  Though I can hardly bring myself to comprehend or accept it, I actually agree with you. But you shouldn't bemoan the RCC. It's the greatest generator of atheists on the planet. Yes

Actually reading the Bible still does a better job of it, plus you're far less likely to be raped... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 04:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-02-2013 08:31 AM)Egor Wrote:  

2. There's a serious scandal (another one) about to be made public, and he's in the middle of it.

3. Catholics in the developed world are leaving the church in their millions, and the flow of cash is compromised, so it's time for some serious pr work, and he's not the man

4. He's getting older and more out of touch. That didn't stop all the others hanging on.

5. He, himself, is frightened of being knocked off (ie murdered). If that sounds far fetched, read up about the last 2 pope's deaths. You don't die in a hospital if you're a pope.

In a way, I'm disappointed he's going. The Vatican was dying. The really serious shit was, at some time soon, in the next few years, going to hit the fan, and I think the power and prestige of the Vatican would have been seriously compromised. They will get someone in charge who's more in touch and likeable, someone with a squeaky clean past, and they'll have a new lease of life and heaps of new publicity. That's a shame, because one of the most evil and longest running scams to have ever been inflicted on mankind doesn't deserve a life in the 21st century.

What does everyone else think?

Though I can hardly bring myself to comprehend or accept it, I actually agree with you. But you shouldn't bemoan the RCC. It's the greatest generator of atheists on the planet. Yes
Well then you're in good company. Anyone reading your constant invective here would clearly want nothing to do with religion.
You do your little superior dance here every day, now don't you, church lady.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
(11-02-2013 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  1. He's being pushed off the perch because he's so incredibly incompetent. Why did it take them so long to work that out? Yet even his prepared speeches (written and checked over by those in the system) were abysmal, and totally out of touch with the 21st century. His letter to Catholic Ireland is a classic example.

I think this is probably the answer. It may not have necessarily taken the cardinals so long to remove him, but rather they may have purposely waited so the timing looked less suspicious. Or perhaps even he himself recognized that he wasn't doing positive things for the Catholic church and decided it was time to step down, and this just happened to be the point where he couldn't wait any longer. But even in that case he would be "pushed off the perch" due to incompetence, with the pusher being himself.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
None of this really matters...there will be a new pope, same as the old pope...and on and on.

He may look different, he may speak a different language but it's all the same old shit.

The Catholics will all gather to watch to color of the smoke while praying that the conclave makes the "right" decision...like that's gonna happen.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post