Real Time Strategy Lovers' Corner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Heart Real Time Strategy Lovers' Corner
Any RTS game lovers? Most people seem to play either tablet-like games, like Angry Birds, RPGs or FPS games.

I kind of feel like the RTS genre has a bit slowed down in the past few years, but I remember it had its golden age and I really wish it came back.

Anyone remember pearls like Submarine Titans? Big Grin

What games do you like in this genre? Of course, don't exclude old games, the 2D Isometric Sprite Era Big Grin

I like: the Age of Empires series, Cossacks, Age of Mythology, Submarine Titans, Homeworld series, Sins of a Solar Empire, Command and Conquer: Zero Hour, Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars, Stronghold, Rise of Nations Gold Edition.

I'm sure there would be more though! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
23-10-2014, 03:51 AM
RE: Real Time Strategy Lovers' Corner
C&C tiberian sun was my favourite rts as a kid. Booted it up the other week for the first time in years, still not bored of it. I have all the c&c games except the last tiberian game since i heard it was awful. Which is ashame as it was a great series with the exception of red alert 3....which doesn't deserve a mention.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
23-10-2014, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 04:06 AM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
(23-10-2014 03:51 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  C&C tiberian sun was my favourite rts as a kid. Booted it up the other week for the first time in years, still not bored of it. I have all the c&c games except the last tiberian game since i heard it was awful. Which is ashame as it was a great series with the exception of red alert 3....which doesn't deserve a mention.

Are you talking about Tiberium Twilight? Yes, they took a really different direction there. I do like new ideas for RTS, but this one really changed too much and... it looks very different. I never played it, only saw something on Youtube but didn't catch my attention at all.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
23-10-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 07:10 AM by Free Thought.)
(23-10-2014 03:55 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 03:51 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  C&C tiberian sun was my favourite rts as a kid. Booted it up the other week for the first time in years, still not bored of it. I have all the c&c games except the last tiberian game since i heard it was awful. Which is ashame as it was a great series with the exception of red alert 3....which doesn't deserve a mention.

Are you talking about Tiberium Twilight? Yes, they took a really different direction there. I do like new ideas for RTS, but this one really changed too much and... it looks very different. I never played it, only saw something on Youtube but didn't catch my attention at all.

Tiberium Twilight...

I want to meet the person who came up with that game and force them to give me my money back.
It was hands down one of the most disappointing and frankly shitty games I have played. Tiberium Wars was one of my favourite games and I expected something better, but what I got was a shitty game where in-game progression and multi-player were tied together; Do you play C&C for multiplayer? Not in Twilight you don't! Unless you only want like three units to use. And that's not to mention the single player; you pretty much need to work with another person in a different class to ensure you can get through most levels because that there class system. The classes system had potential, but it sucked; far too restricting for a game like that. Talking of restriction; Bases. Where the fuck did the bases go? That is a core thing to C&C and they threw it down a flight of stairs and got a replacement in a clunky single-building mobile base system, which too the whole MCV concept to a new level of absurd.
Also, the DRM: You have to be online to play the game. Have no internet? Sucks to be you. If your internet cuts during a singleplayer campaign game, you lose all your shit. And thanks to the DRM tying the copy of the game to the account you sign up for, you can't use multiply accounts on one computer, at least it didn't let me. As such I don't even feel right about selling the game off to a friend (not that I'd inflict a friend with such a game, but still...).

I understand taking chances and changing things in games to stop them from becoming little more than simple Cash Cows being endlessly milked a la Call of Duty, but change needs to be measured and basically chucking base and core mechanics of a much-loved series in favour of 'bold and new' is not a way to success.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-10-2014, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 07:50 AM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
Very interesting insight Free Thought. I never played it so I need to rely on others' experiences.

I agree with you that a different take is certainly welcomed. I like when RTS games change from "just get resources, build army, destroy opponent", which is not bad by itself, but sometimes you like some more factors to be added: diplomacy, different resources, different ways to gather resources, morale for troops, borders (RoN comes to mind), attrition, and so on.

But from what I saw Tiberium Twilight sounds kind of... really redundant and with not a lot of variation. I loved Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath too!

P.S. I hate the DRM/always-online stuff. I hope it vanishes and goes extinct.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
23-10-2014, 07:51 AM
(23-10-2014 07:43 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Very interesting insight Free Thought. I never played it so I need to rely on others' experiences.

I agree with you that a different take is certainly welcomed. I like when RTS games change from "just get resources, build army, destroy opponent", which is not bad by itself, but sometimes you like some more factors to be added: diplomacy, different resources, different ways to gather resources, morale for troops, borders (RoN comes to mind), attrition, and so on.

But from what I saw Tiberium Twilight sounds kind of... really redundant and with not a lot of variation. I loved Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath too!

Tiberium Twilight was, frankly a game which should not have happened. Especially not in the wake of Wars.

I enjoyed Kane's Wrath not nearly as much as I did Tiberium Wars, to be honest; I did love the variation that game presented though; that was far better done than Twilight.

My biggest gripe with Kane's Wrath was one animation. The GDI Titan had a really shitty muzzle flash when it fired... Ever notice that? I never could be sure whether it was in the game itself or it was the calculator I was playing it on.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-10-2014, 07:53 AM
I used to play Warhammer 40k every once in a while when I was younger. It was pretty fun.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-10-2014, 08:58 AM
(23-10-2014 07:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  th was one animation. The GDI Titan had a really shitty muzzle flash when it fired... Ever notice that? I never could be sure whether it was in the game itself or it was the calculator I was playing it on.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WtO2g4xWc

Do you mean that around 23:12? (start from 23:10 so you see it properly)

Hi Vosur! I have tried that too, but I didn't get the chance to try it out properly.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
23-10-2014, 09:08 AM
(23-10-2014 08:58 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 07:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  th was one animation. The GDI Titan had a really shitty muzzle flash when it fired... Ever notice that? I never could be sure whether it was in the game itself or it was the calculator I was playing it on.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WtO2g4xWc

Do you mean that around 23:12? (start from 23:10 so you see it properly)

Hi Vosur! I have tried that too, but I didn't get the chance to try it out properly.

No those aren't it. Definitely looks better that what I had when I played though...

23-10-2014, 09:22 AM
If you happen to find it, please link it to me. And yeah, it looks better than mine too.

孤独 - The Out Crowd