Real Time Strategy Lovers' Corner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2014, 04:57 PM
RE: Real Time Strategy Lovers' Corner
I bought AOE II HD when it released but never played so far. It's been so long since the last time i played an AOE game and i think in multiplayer everyone will crush me Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Any Halo Wars players out there? Tried StarCraft way back when in high school and hated it... loved Halo Wars though, probably cuz it's not a "real" RTS for most fans of the genre... Undecided Sure loved building me some Scarabs though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
13-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey there, never played it but is it a spin-off of the Halo franchise?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
13-11-2014, 08:30 PM
(13-11-2014 06:55 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Any Halo Wars players out there? Tried StarCraft way back when in high school and hated it... loved Halo Wars though, probably cuz it's not a "real" RTS for most fans of the genre... Undecided Sure loved building me some Scarabs though.

Yo!

I fucking loved Halo Wars! I see your Scarabs and raise you ODST spam!

(13-11-2014 07:09 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Hey there, never played it but is it a spin-off of the Halo franchise?

I wouldn't say it's a spin-off so much as a side-story: it takes place during the Human-Covenant War and tracks crew of the refitted colony ship Spirit of Fire as takes part in operations to retake Harvest, defend Arcadia and the like.

Interestingly enough, Halo Wars has its roots as far back as the very first Halo builds: Halo originally was supposed to be an RTS, but that was scrapped in favour of the shooter relatively early in.

It's a solid RTS for the 360, it controls fairly well, and is quite well balanced between the Humans and Covenant and the sub-factions represented by 'Leaders', but Covenant Leaders themselves (as units) tend to be overpowered late-game or early in the hands somebody who knows how to use them. Especially the Prophet of Regret *shudders*.
Though I have noticed problems: in big battles sometimes the game starts chugging a bit to try to keep up and I have never had a stable online match... Probably due to my internet more than the games servers being bad.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Oh, thank you, I'll check it out on Youtube. I hadn't heard about it before now. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
14-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Ugh, hated the Prophet, didn't like playing as him or against him... so annoying. Usually opted to play human, either as Forge or the Anders chick so I could have my warthogs and Spartans. Definitely enjoyed playing as the Arbiter though on occasion. As a huge Halo fan, it was the only RTS that ever really caught my interest.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
14-11-2014, 12:59 PM
(24-10-2014 04:59 AM)yakherder Wrote:  When I was stationed in Japan, back when we were all on dial up and got charged by the minute (making internet play impractical), me and a bunch of the other guys secretly rigged a fairly vast ethernet network through the walls of a bunch of the barracks rooms and we'd play Total Annihilation. Loved that game. Don't mess with them Big Bertha cannons!

One of my all-time favorites!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
14-11-2014, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2014 02:59 PM by Free Thought.)
(14-11-2014 11:36 AM)MustangManda Wrote:  Ugh, hated the Prophet, didn't like playing as him or against him... so annoying. Usually opted to play human, either as Forge or the Anders chick so I could have my warthogs and Spartans. Definitely enjoyed playing as the Arbiter though on occasion. As a huge Halo fan, it was the only RTS that ever really caught my interest.

I can understand the frustration with the Prophet, gotta admit fully upgraded his stupidly powerful...
I also prefer to play UNSC, though I'd rather play as Cutter; that way it's easy to rush with an Elephant and just start spewing marines out right at the enemy base. Never been too fond of Anders though...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Three words for you people. Three words:
Men. of. War.

... this is my signature!
14-11-2014, 03:30 PM
(14-11-2014 03:01 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Three words for you people. Three words:
Men. of. War.

That's more of a RTT than a RTS. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd