Archer
[Show Results]

Real debate with fundies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2013, 09:25 PM
RE: Real debate with fundies
(17-10-2013 09:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 09:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So my atheist teacher used exactly the same term in the same way because she was being an arsehole fundie? And I then subsequently used it for the same reason?

Somehow I doubt it.

Don't be ridiculous. Your atheist teacher never used it "in the *same* way". He/she may have used it, I seriously doubt it was "in the same way".
If you are claiming you "used it in the same way", are you admitting you are preaching Catholicism ?
And I never said "arsehole fundie" No wonder you see ad hominems that don't exist.

You are an ignorant dickhead. (That is just an insult plain and simple not an Argumetum ad hominem).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2013, 09:27 PM
"I don't even know where to begin.

1) In a handful of exchanges you've determined that you know more about Catholicism than I do? You know nothing about my background or what I do with my life, yet you present this as truth without any evidence. Do you always jump to conclusions, especially ones which allow you to claim that you know more than whomever you're speaking with?

Your grandfather being a "Vatican insider" (whatever that means) means nothing. Was he a theologian? What if my grandfather was an atheist? Can I claim greater knowledge? And isn't this the logical fallacy of arguing from authority?"

Touché, my friend,

"Where did I ever say that my beliefs should be imposed upon others? I think that sodomy is immoral and should be made illegal, but I did not say that everyone must believe that it is sinful. You don't have to think that speeding is unjust, but you do have to follow the speed limit. Before you get all wound up, I'm not attempting to compare speeding with sodomy. I'm merely making a distinction between imposition of an action and imposition of a belief. The law already does a lot of imposing on our actions"

Yes. You did. You don't agree with homosexuality due to your religion. You said as much as therefor homosexuals are infringing on your right by demanding the same rights under federal and state marriage you
17-10-2013, 09:38 PM
(17-10-2013 08:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then why didn't you write the ENTIRE post in Latin ?

Imago Dei and Sola Scriptura aren't just Latin decorations they summarise elaborate doctrines, they are used for brevity.

Quote:Nice try. You used it, because you thought it gave "authority" your nonsense. In fact the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, says all languages are of EQUAL value. There is nowhere that says Latin is "the language of the church".

This is Bucky Ballsack the historian speaking.

Quote:You can play with the lingustics

Linguistics is that discipline that is concerned with the study of language, it does not mean "language". Why didn't you just say, "You can play with language"? You did so because you thought you would sound more learned if you said, "You can play with the lingustics" and you fucked up (as usual).

Quote:, and twist them anyway you like. Saying you believe in something (even while Special Pleading the terminology) is worthless nonsense.
Thomistic metaphysics is also worthless. You have answered NONE of the objections.
There is no such thing as "pure act". Actions REQUIRE time, by definition, or the word "act" has no linguistic value.

"Special Pleading the terminology". Fuck me. Unparseable gibberish.

"[L]inguistic value". Fuck me. Do you mean "meaning"?

Quote:You said men were not free to hold what they believed, but only your cult members were free. Nice try at evasion, and deflection. Fail.

No cult expert deems the Catholic Church a "cult". A you an expert on cults?
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
17-10-2013, 09:40 PM
To the faithful on this thread, I'd like you to look here.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...spectfully

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
17-10-2013, 09:42 PM
(17-10-2013 09:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is absolutely no value added, (except snob appeal), to saying
made in the "image of god", and "imago Dei". They are identical. He did it for a reason.
It adds no nuance. He used it to imply he spoke with "authority" which no one here accepts.

Wrong. Imago dei refers to a specific doctrine, it doesn't simply mean "image of god". Similarly sola scriptura doesn't simply mean "only scripture", it denotes an an entire theological perspective.
17-10-2013, 09:44 PM

That's a good summary of your argument.
17-10-2013, 09:48 PM
(17-10-2013 07:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, I know about your religion than you do. My grandfather was a Vatican diplomat. I saw the crap from the inside

That settles it then, you must know more about Catholicism than everyone else.
17-10-2013, 09:51 PM
(17-10-2013 08:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Think about it ? How exactly do you think that would play out, on a practical level.

What if everyone was as ignorant and opininated as you? How would that "play out, on a practical level"? Think about it.

Why does "Think about it?" have a question mark? What is the question? Why doesn't the question have a question mark?
17-10-2013, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 10:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-10-2013 09:25 PM)Chippy Wrote:  You are an ignorant dickhead.

A you an expert on cults?

Yes dear.
Whatever you say.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.