Reality Based Science Fiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 05:03 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Reality Based Science Fiction
I wrote a blog article three years ago describing the depiction of evolution in the 2013 film Man of Steel. In it, I mentioned the Codex, a piece of biotechnology shaped like a primitive skull that houses the entirety of the Kryptonian genome. I never got a good view of it because of all the action in the opening of the film, but I thought the alien tech looked liked very similar to an Australopithecine skull.

Today, I discovered that there are 1:1 scale replicas of the skull available, and after some examination, I was surprised to find that it is based on a real world fossil that is approximately 2.5 million years old. The piece in question is Australopithecus africanus STS 71, which is a partial skull first discovered in Sterkfontein, South Africa in 1947. I don't have an official source, just my meager background in paleoanthropology. Here is a video showing off the replica (start at minute 1:16).

Both the replica and STS 71 are missing the left side of the skull, as can be seen from the above video and these images:

[Image: DpBvxD.jpg][Image: 0j7ACg.jpg]

The prop masters even copied and exaggerated the fractures on the right side of the skull.

[Image: aaOvVu.jpg]

It just thought this was really neat. Does anyone else have examples of real life influencing science fiction? Yes, this includes "Hard Science Fiction".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-01-2017, 12:42 PM
RE: Reality Based Science Fiction
There is no such thing as "Reality based science fiction" "Reality" and "fiction" are opposites. There can be however science fiction people write which is influenced by real events. But the art itself is an escape, not a real science.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
16-01-2017, 01:22 PM
(16-01-2017 12:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  [...]
Does anyone else have examples of real life influencing science fiction?

I guess the 1910 science fiction movie "The Comet" could be a possible contender? It was about the annihilation of the planet caused by the orbit of Halley's Comet nearly intersecting with Earth's orbit. Astronomer and sometime science fiction author Camille Flammarion (La Fin du Monde [The End of the World] 1893) publicly stated in 1910 that he believed that the cyanogenic gasses from the tail of Halley's Comet "would impregnate the Earth’s atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet." He used the 1835 passing of Halley as the basis of his 1893 science fiction story.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2017, 01:27 PM
One of the few examples I can think of that went from sci-fi to reality is the mineral found in Russia which was very close to the fictional chemical name of kryptonite.
In the movies (I believe) they labeled kryptonite as...
sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide with flourine.

The newly discovered mineral was..
sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide

The fiction came first, then the mineral was discovered. Granted it's not an identical match, but very close.

Lots of fiction comes from real life events.
I know many of the fictional events in my book, "Kindred Lives" were inspired by events in my own life.

There is an upcoming genre of storytelling called real fiction. It's when you tell a story that really happened but you add fictional elements to it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-01-2017, 02:27 PM
So how did Kryptonite get to Earth while Clark was still alive?
16-01-2017, 02:50 PM
(16-01-2017 12:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  There is no such thing as "Reality based science fiction" "Reality" and "fiction" are opposites. There can be however science fiction people write which is influenced by real events. But the art itself is an escape, not a real science.

He means hard-science fiction. A science fiction story, whose plots and events do not deviate or minimally deviate from what is generally considered scientifically feasible. Do you enjoy any art at all?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
17-01-2017, 07:48 AM
(16-01-2017 01:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess the 1910 science fiction movie "The Comet" could be a possible contender? It was about the annihilation of the planet caused by the orbit of Halley's Comet nearly intersecting with Earth's orbit. Astronomer and sometime science fiction author Camille Flammarion (La Fin du Monde [The End of the World] 1893) publicly stated in 1910 that he believed that the cyanogenic gasses from the tail of Halley's Comet "would impregnate the Earth’s atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet." He used the 1835 passing of Halley as the basis of his 1893 science fiction story.

Wow, I've never heard that before. I wonder what his basis for the gas absorption was.

(16-01-2017 01:27 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One of the few examples I can think of that went from sci-fi to reality is the mineral found in Russia which was very close to the fictional chemical name of kryptonite.

The fiction came first, then the mineral was discovered. Granted it's not an identical match, but very close.

I know many of the fictional events in my book, "Kindred Lives" were inspired by events in my own life.

There is an upcoming genre of storytelling called real fiction. It's when you tell a story that really happened but you add fictional elements to it.

I remember that from the Reeve's film, but I never realized that it was based on an actual find. Thanks for sharing.
17-01-2017, 09:11 AM
(16-01-2017 01:27 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...

Isn't that just called American Mainstream Media?

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Folks, the events can be fictional while the science is accurate. The Martian tried hard to do that, and "I only cheated when I had to." Smile
18-01-2017, 06:22 AM
(17-01-2017 07:48 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 01:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess the 1910 science fiction movie "The Comet" could be a possible contender? It was about the annihilation of the planet caused by the orbit of Halley's Comet nearly intersecting with Earth's orbit. Astronomer and sometime science fiction author Camille Flammarion (La Fin du Monde [The End of the World] 1893) publicly stated in 1910 that he believed that the cyanogenic gasses from the tail of Halley's Comet "would impregnate the Earth’s atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet." He used the 1835 passing of Halley as the basis of his 1893 science fiction story.

Wow, I've never heard that before. I wonder what his basis for the gas absorption was.

(16-01-2017 01:27 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One of the few examples I can think of that went from sci-fi to reality is the mineral found in Russia which was very close to the fictional chemical name of kryptonite.

I remember that from the Reeve's film, but I never realized that it was based on an actual find. Thanks for sharing.

It wasn't based on an actual find.
The movie came first. The writers invented the chemical composition. Years later when the new mineral was actually found, the scientist was shocked to find that it was a near exact match for fictional kryptonite from the movie.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results