Really need to be around rational thought right now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Really need to be around rational thought right now
Hi atheists.

I'm surrounded by people who think circular reasoning is ok, Christianity should be taught in school, and the only reason people need to be able to read is to read the Bible.

I've had many arguments with them over the years and I'm giving up. It seems that if people want to change, they will change. If not, they won't. So there's nothing I can do to make anyone in the world more intelligent/capable of critical thought.

This is weighing on me. So here I am seeking out critical thinkers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes freerangehuman's post
23-12-2016, 09:56 PM
RE: Really need to be around rational thought right now
Welcome Smile
23-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Sorry, wrong place. All Jesus Freaks, here.

Cuz I'm a Bible totin', scripture quotin', sin defacin', Devil chasin', chorus hummin', guitar strummin', gospel preachin', soul searchin', overcomin' Child of God.

Oh...no, wait, I'm a Secular Humanist and evolutionary biologist who made it out of that crazy world.

I feel your pain. Welcome to TTA. And sanity.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-12-2016, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2016 07:35 AM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
It is nice to have you here, sir. Based on my experience here, there are some pretty cool TTA (theists and non-theists) members who are rational/critical thinkers. In addition, IMO, there are plenty of stimulating, inquisitive, and curious conversations taking place on TTA. With that said, I hope you get what you want out of this place, sir. Live long and prosper.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
23-12-2016, 10:35 PM
And you came here? Blink Blink ... bwahahahahhahaha.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Hello!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Kindly visit the smiley boutique as you run screaming into the night. Evil_monsterHoboBanana_zorroGirl_nailsBanginBechasedChaseKnights who say NI!

(23-12-2016 09:29 PM)freerangehuman Wrote:  I've had many arguments with them over the years and I'm giving up.

I hear you. Sometimes it seems like you're pushing cooked spaghetti uphill.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
23-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Welcome! Where are you from (state is good enough)?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Hello! Big Grin

(23-12-2016 09:29 PM)freerangehuman Wrote:  Hi atheists.

I'm surrounded by people who think circular reasoning is ok, Christianity should be taught in school, and the only reason people need to be able to read is to read the Bible.

I've had many arguments with them over the years and I'm giving up. It seems that if people want to change, they will change. If not, they won't. So there's nothing I can do to make anyone in the world more intelligent/capable of critical thought.

This is weighing on me. So here I am seeking out critical thinkers.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
24-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the club.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post