Really tired of people who claim America is being destroyed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
RE: Really tired of people who claim America is being destroyed.
(08-06-2015 05:24 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 02:50 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I'm really tired of people who claim that America is being destroyed. I'm patriotic. I proudly fly the flag. I think our country is a beacon of hope in a world that needs it. That's not arrogance...it's pride. The thing that will destroy us is hate. We've become less civil. More partisan. People need to think beyond their party and beyond politics and start thinking about each other.

I'm kinda tired of the "'murica dun be under threat" claims too. Mostly because the claims are always stupid. Always.

Besides, it's natural for the dominant nations to begin losing their power eventually. You can't keep on top forever.

True say. American hyperpower in the 1950s and 1960s was based on a couple salient but temporal factors - namely, the rest of the world was either bombed flat or dead broke or both. Sure as hell no way that was going to last forever.

Course, there're worse places to be internationally than one of the largest (by size or population) and richest nations going, even in a more multipolar world.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I have nothing against America. There is much there I'd like to see. I hope to holiday there and visit friends.

I had a great conversation with an Australian couple who always holiday in America. What they liked was the variety of landscape. Mountains and grass plains and deserts etc. Whereas Australia is just flat. We don't even have a real mountain. We call them mountains but in fact they are too short to qualify as such. Smile

Americans who get on the internet and bang on about what a great nation they are etc are less attractive. Methinks they dost protest too much. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-06-2015, 05:37 PM
(08-06-2015 05:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Americans who get on the internet and bang on about what a great nation they are etc are less attractive. Methinks they dost protest too much. Wink

There is a sociological idea out there - I wouldn't qualify it as to be as developed as a "theory", and neither would the proponents I originally encountered - saying that Americans, culturally, are to some extent caught up in the lingering hangover of perceived inferiority with respect to old Europe.
(that was, after all, indisputably a dominant meme in the 19th century)

Perhaps that explains some latter-day behaviour.

... this is my signature!
08-06-2015, 05:52 PM
(08-06-2015 05:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There is a sociological idea out there - I wouldn't qualify it as to be as developed as a "theory", and neither would the proponents I originally encountered - saying that Americans, culturally, are to some extent caught up in the lingering hangover of perceived inferiority with respect to old Europe.
(that was, after all, indisputably a dominant meme in the 19th century)

Perhaps that explains some latter-day behaviour.

Interesting. I have no idea.

In Australia we have The Tall Poppy Syndrome, where people are quick to pull others down who have perhaps moved beyond their station. A different reaction to perhaps a similar hangover.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I see many beacons growing and shining all across the sphere of Earth and don't really think they all need a political force to them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
(08-06-2015 05:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
Samuel Johnson.

I thought that was H.L. Mencken. Well, whoever said it hit the nail on the head. The world has become too small a place for nationalistic patriotism.

The fact is that America has some really good things and some really crappy things. We've done some things right and some things wrong. We cannot be painted with just one color brush.

We certainly have a LOT that could be improved, and blind patriotism is an obstacle to that improvement when it refuses to see the bad with the good. But we also shouldn't deny the good, because that can lead to resignation and apathy. If the country is all bad, what's the point of trying to improve it? If it's all good, it needs no improvement. So let's be honest about both the good and the bad and agitate to make improvements.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
08-06-2015, 08:02 PM
(08-06-2015 05:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well, I like it here in America. I even like it here in Texas.

Someone name me a place where everything is perfect...I would like to research it...a real place...not some gawd said place.

Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-06-2015, 10:16 PM
(08-06-2015 05:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well, I like it here in America. I even like it here in Texas.

Someone name me a place where everything is perfect...I would like to research it...a real place...not some gawd said place.

It's not about being perfect. I'm not saying X place is perfect and Y place isn't. I'm saying X place is better than Y place.

Scandinavia, Switzerland, Australia, NZ etc.. for example.

The issue with America is not that it's dying it's that it's ignorant. It's ignorant to its own shittiness. It's still better than most places in the world, that's a given, but it claims to be #1 when actually it's about #17. See what I'm saying?
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-06-2015, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 09:33 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Well, I think America is certainly suffering. Suffering from a glut of entitlement-snowflake politically-correct do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do special folks to whom the rules don't apply and for whom the ultimate appeal for any rough treatment from life is not redoubled effort but rather, an appearance on Oprah explaining that they're a victim of something, they just don't know what.

Too many fucking Americans think that life owes them something. Life doesn't owe you a fucking thing. Life doesn't owe you the next breath.

And yes, America is suffering from a glut of these assholes who think that you should work late because they came in at closing time, that you should get out of their way or risk being run off the road because they think that their text is more important than our collective safety -- people who think that being an asshole is an untrammeled right.

It doesn't work that way, sorry. You will have to understand that you can't always get what you want. Surely little Buffy will live if there are no Hostess Sno-balls in the back storage; you need not call your lawyer.

(08-06-2015 04:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All "patriotism" does, is divide.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't be glad, to live in a great country -- you should. I do. I'm quite grateful to the people who made this a good place to live.

But pride?? No, not really.....

(cf. my avatar)

Quote:Better the pride that resides
in a citizen of the world
than the pride that divides
when a colorful rag is unfurled
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-06-2015, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 11:39 PM by Banjo.)
(08-06-2015 07:39 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I thought that was H.L. Mencken. Well, whoever said it hit the nail on the head. The world has become too small a place for nationalistic patriotism.

Samuel Johnson

"Samuel Johnson's saying that patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels has some truth in it but not nearly enough. Patriotism, in truth, is the great nursery of scoundrels, and its annual output is probably greater than that of even religion. Its chief glories are the demagogue, the military bully, and the spreaders of libels and false history. Its philosophy rests firmly on the doctrine that the end justifies the means--that any blow, whether above or below the belt, is fair against dissenters from its wholesale denial of plain facts."

H.L. Mencken

Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post