Really tired of people who claim America is being destroyed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: Really tired of people who claim America is being destroyed.
(08-06-2015 10:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 05:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well, I like it here in America. I even like it here in Texas.

Someone name me a place where everything is perfect...I would like to research it...a real place...not some gawd said place.

It's not about being perfect. I'm not saying X place is perfect and Y place isn't. I'm saying X place is better than Y place.

Scandinavia, Switzerland, Australia, NZ etc.. for example.

The issue with America is not that it's dying it's that it's ignorant. It's ignorant to its own shittiness. It's still better than most places in the world, that's a given, but it claims to be #1 when actually it's about #17. See what I'm saying?

A good old case of necrotic denial Tongue

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2015, 11:27 AM
(11-06-2015 04:43 AM)Recless123 Wrote:  That is a nice sentiment, but really, what planet are you on? We are a two party system, which John Adams and Washington and other founders vehemently condemned. (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/07/t...tem.html). Adams could think of no greater evil coming from the US Constitution than the two party system. Guess we nailed that one.

A two-party system is the game-theory equilibrium of plurality winner-take-all political systems.
(or: don't hate the player, hate the game)

(11-06-2015 04:43 AM)Recless123 Wrote:  That partisanship you see is really just people drinking the cool-aid. All cool-aid is the same... religious, social, economic, etc. Liberalism, Libertarianism, and Conservatism are political/economic philosophies, not theologies. They each start from different premises so they will never agree. There is a physical reality of economics and politics out there, but these are just windows into that. If you can't argue from any of them you don't understand the issue you are looking at (there are only issues, not 'liberal issues' etc). People need to stop turning their politics into a substitute religion. Liberals can't seem to remember that everything costs. Conservatives can't seem to remember the moral philosophy at the center of their economics (see moral philosopher and 'father of economics' Adam Smith).

... who, besides sweeping generalisations, actually does that?

(11-06-2015 04:43 AM)Recless123 Wrote:  It is getting so old watching other atheists, who can shoot down faulty logic in the religious with ease, lose themselves in politics and fail to hold their political philosophy to the same level of skepticism and critical thinking they hold Ken Ham to. Taking up one political label as 'the ONE' is boneheaded at best.

No, seriously. Who are you talking about with this sort of sentiment?

(11-06-2015 04:43 AM)Recless123 Wrote:  Heck, taking up ANY political philosophy as a self-identity factor is stupid.

But any political system involving a choice between candidates/parties/policies entails a commensurate identity as a supporter of one over the other(s). By definition.

... this is my signature!
12-06-2015, 10:23 PM
(08-06-2015 04:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Patriotism is bunk.

Take a look from space.

Those lines that demarcate the boundaries of nations are not visible, and only exist in the minds of those who feel it really matters.

Additionally -- nobody ever chose to be born where they were -- that's just all how the cards are dealt --- so it's not like you've really got any reason to feel personal pride in the place you happened to pop out.......

All "patriotism" does, is divide.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't be glad, to live in a great country -- you should. I do. I'm quite grateful to the people who made this a good place to live.

But pride?? No, not really.....

I understand what you mean and I agree. We are one world, and it's a shame that most people don't realize or care about that. Perhaps pride wasn't the word I was looking for. I was raised in a multi-cultural atmosphere. And as children we hadn't yet developed a sense of "Nationality". We were just kids. Children don't need to go to space to realize that lines in the dirt don't matter. But as an adult I also realize that living in America doesn't suck, and I'm tired of the people who think it does (many of them are Americans). Plenty of other places don't suck. But they wouldn't want to be there either. They'd rather bitch and moan about the hand they were dealt.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
(11-06-2015 04:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 04:43 AM)Recless123 Wrote:  It is getting so old watching other atheists, who can shoot down faulty logic in the religious with ease, lose themselves in politics and fail to hold their political philosophy to the same level of skepticism and critical thinking they hold Ken Ham to. Taking up one political label as 'the ONE' is boneheaded at best. Heck, taking up ANY political philosophy as a self-identity factor is stupid.

[Image: Skepticrat-logo-square-2000x2000.png]

http://skepticrat.libsyn.com/

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-skepticrat

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-...24303?mt=2

That's why I'm an independent...Notice the lower case "i". Unfortunately, until we get a majority of people to think for themselves, we're still beholden to two sides of the same turd.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
26-06-2015, 08:40 PM
(08-06-2015 04:44 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Be more civil and less partisan? A wake up call and ending blind patriotism will do the trick.

I agree and I think that's what I was trying to say. I'm not really blindly patriotic. It's more of a rooting for the home team. It's a great country...among many great countries. I don't buy into the whole idea of "AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM". That's just arrogant. What I should have said is "I'm tired of Americans who say this country is going to crap."

26-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Top 10 best countries in which to live.

Top 10 safest countries.

American gets 4 mentions here.

20 safest cities in the world.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-06-2015, 09:27 PM
(26-06-2015 09:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Top 10 best countries in which to live.

Top 10 safest countries.

American gets 4 mentions here.

20 safest cities in the world.

4 isn't bad. We're not the whole world. There are cities in other countries I would love living in. Some of them not even on the list. The point being...I like where I live, and I don't agree with people who call it crap. I think most people feel that way regardless of where they live. I would love Morocco, Sicily, Madrid. But I live in the USA. And it's not crap. It has it's blemishes. But so does everywhere else.

26-06-2015, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2015 09:33 PM by Banjo.)
(26-06-2015 09:27 PM)The Drake Wrote:  4 isn't bad. We're not the whole world. There are cities in other countries I would love living in. Some of them not even on the list. The point being...I like where I live, and I don't agree with people who call it crap. I think most people feel that way regardless of where they live. I would love Morocco, Sicily, Madrid. But I live in the USA. And it's not crap. It has it's blemishes. But so does everywhere else.

A lot of my friends and colleagues are Americans and they are alright. Smile

Mind you, America is going to crap. Tongue

(jk) Wink

[Image: world-leaders-pooping-the-daily-duty-cri...geri-9.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-06-2015, 11:20 PM
I love America. I love Wisconsin. I live in a beautiful part of the state. I'm two hours from Lake Superior. I'm in town surrounded by woods and lakes and pine. The air smells amazing. I get deer and black bears and giant owls and turtles in my yard yet I'm a mile from the library. I am two blocks from a lake and a cross country ski trail. I live in paradise.

I get angry when people say America is being destroyed...It usually comes from a Christian complaining about gay rights. It is such a mean and spiteful thing to say.

Life is what you make of it. Is America good or bad? Yes.
[+] 1 user Likes ThatAtheistChick's post
26-06-2015, 11:48 PM
There are a lot of disturbing currents at work.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post