Reason for Being.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Reason for Being.
What is your raison d'être?

Christians say their reason for living is to serve god. With out god lets let them know what we are doing with our lives.

In my life, I got a job at a non-profit. I enjoyed doing for others so much that I started up an atheist group with a friend. Also I've participated in skype conversations with other atheists, helping as much as I could.

Today my meaning in life is simply to be there for other people, learn like I'd live forever, with tomorrow in mind.

What's your raison d'être? (reason for being)

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
09-04-2013, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 08:36 PM by Atothetheist.)
RE: Reason for Being.
Personally, I am in no hurry to die. I think that if there is no afterlife, that makes life much more precious. Much more valuable, Much more...sacred. I live for my friends, with whom I have laughed and cried with. I live for my family, who will, maybe, realize that religion shouldn't divide parent from child. I live for you guys, for whom I have had many great memories, discussions and debates.

I live for the future, which has infinite possibilities, everyone of them as mysterious as the next.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
09-04-2013, 07:41 PM
To understand more about whatever it is I am interested in at any given time. Information junkie.

I won't mind losing all that knowledge once I'm dead. It's the journey that counts, therefore it's not a waste.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I strive to be a great husband, a good brother and son.
I help deserving families with their rent.
I volunteer for a non-profit helping them do scientific work with invasive marine species.
I photograph the underwater world and write articles for dive magazines.
And recently I have found this forum, it gives me support and in the process I hope to give some back.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-04-2013, 07:55 PM
(09-04-2013 07:34 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  What is your raison d'être?

Dammit, I was going to use that phrase, but nooooo you had to bait me with your simple title then yank away the opportunity to sound smart by using French at the last minute.

You're a terrible person. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
09-04-2013, 07:59 PM
(09-04-2013 07:55 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 07:34 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  What is your raison d'être?

Dammit, I was going to use that phrase, but nooooo you had to bait me with your simple title then yank away the opportunity to sound smart by using French at the last minute.

You're a terrible person. Drinking Beverage

I like the french term, and love the french enlightenment.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-04-2013, 09:39 PM
VIVA LA INERTIA!

No, seriously. I love my life, I love what I do for a job, I love what I do in my spare time. But even if that weren't true, routine and inertia would keep me going.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Our life on earth is a mystery and is not solvable by humans, and never will be. I live my life in hope that I can better myself through the process, and better everyone that I encounter and hopefully leave my legacy in society.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
[+] 1 user Likes Misenhelter's post
09-04-2013, 10:25 PM
No particular reason, just gonna be 'til I'm fucking tired of being. ... The fuck else I'm gonna do?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-04-2013, 10:26 PM
(09-04-2013 09:55 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  Our life on earth is a mystery and is not solvable by humans, and never will be. I live my life in hope that I can better myself through the process, and better everyone that I encounter and hopefully leave my legacy in society.

Hey now, never say we will never be able to do something. The future may yield many surprises.

Otherwise, good answer.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post