Reason for Being.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Reason for Being.
(09-04-2013 07:34 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  What is your raison d'être?

Christians say their reason for living is to serve god. With out god lets let them know what we are doing with our lives.

In my life, I got a job at a non-profit. I enjoyed doing for others so much that I started up an atheist group with a friend. Also I've participated in skype conversations with other atheists, helping as much as I could.

Today my meaning in life is simply to be there for other people, learn like I'd live forever, with tomorrow in mind.

What's your raison d'être? (reason for being)

As much as I absolutely despise circular logic, it must come into play here for me.

I live because I live. At the bottom of it, that is the only reason I can find for the base of reasoning here, sure, I can build up on it, give me some noble goals and shit but at the end of the day, it will always remain "I live because I live".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-04-2013, 06:32 PM
My reason for being is to figure it all out, to endure and love and to allow myself the courage to let another love me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
10-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Because I was born and I'm still breathing. I hate this question, it's just plain stupid.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
10-04-2013, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 07:25 PM by DLJ.)
At the risk of repeating myself...

The PURPOSE of life is to pass on our DNA (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind (from observation)

Maybe it would sound better in French if Phaedrus wants to demonstrate his smartness?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks DLJ.

I love the responses, but this isn't what is the meaning of life. It's more like what is the reason for being alive. Or have you personally found a meaning/reason to your life.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
10-04-2013, 08:09 PM
(10-04-2013 07:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  At the risk of repeating myself...

Maybe it would sound better in French if Phaedrus wants to demonstrate his smartness?

Yabut. Why? Are you that proud of yourself? Have you no contention beyond a billboard?

Fucking hate siggys. Post a zillion times on this forum, yeah, I heard it before. Numerous times.... Dodgy

Big Grin

You know why?

You.

You justify my existence. You challenge me. You question me. You tell me, Gwyneth Paltrow is not enough. Do you not drink? Do you not eat? Do you not whack of to dark shadows that, by themselves, are not defined, Gwyneth?

And I say to you...

What do you want of me? Am I to verify you? Am I to answer the question of you? Am I not alone, to scream, in futility, to the dark and empty skies...

Why!?!?

I'll tell you why. That I love my Gwynnies, I must love you. I must know you. I must be you. I must snuggle in the flesh of your being, and look in the mirror and be not afraid, to address... Gwyneth Paltrow for all mankind.

Still.

And no, I am not satisfied. Question me with your signature, and I must tell you, asked and answered, your honor.

Question me with the rain, and I will stop and ponder. This day, I am, and like no other.

That I love my Gwynnies, I am, and do not question me in folly. For the world is wet, and cold, and all the cats are sleeping...

Inside.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
(10-04-2013 07:57 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Thanks DLJ.

Or have you personally found a meaning/reason to your life.

Yes.

Thumbsup

10-04-2013, 08:17 PM
(10-04-2013 08:09 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...
I must snuggle in the flesh of your being

Ohmy

No!

No really... you must not!

You'll catch something.

beautiful poetry btw.

10-04-2013, 08:21 PM
(10-04-2013 08:09 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 07:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  At the risk of repeating myself...

Yabut. Why? Are you that proud of yourself? Have you no contention beyond a billboard?

Fucking hate siggys. Post a zillion times on this forum, yeah, I heard it before. Numerous times.... Dodgy

Big Grin

You know why?

You.

You justify my existence. You challenge me. You question me. You tell me, Gwyneth Paltrow is not enough. Do you not drink? Do you not eat? Do you not whack of to dark shadows that, by themselves, are not defined, Gwyneth?

And I say to you...

What do you want of me? Am I to verify you? Am I to answer the question of you? Am I not alone, to scream, in futility, to the dark and empty skies...

Why!?!?

I'll tell you why. That I love my Gwynnies, I must love you. I must know you. I must be you. I must snuggle in the flesh of your being, and look in the mirror and be not afraid, to address... Gwyneth Paltrow for all mankind.

Still.

And no, I am not satisfied. Question me with your signature, and I must tell you, asked and answered, your honor.

Question me with the rain, and I will stop and ponder. This day, I am, and like no other.

That I love my Gwynnies, I am, and do not question me in folly. For the world is wet, and cold, and all the cats are sleeping...

Inside.

Wow that is both deeply moving and deeply disturbing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-04-2013, 10:22 PM
(10-04-2013 07:57 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I love the responses, but this isn't what is the meaning of life. It's more like what is the reason for being alive. Or have you personally found a meaning/reason to your life.

Don't you love it when people don't get the fucking hint? Dodgy

I'm all about logical thinking, but jesus, people. "These questions are always so stupid"; well if you'd lighten the fuck up and pay attention to what you're being asked...

Whatever. I'm also alive to hate on people who piss me off. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post