Reason to Celebrate Christmas as an Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 05:24 PM
RE: Reason to Celebrate Christmas as an Atheist?
It's totally about family time for me, and I love exchanging gifts with everyone. Lots of food, and time taken to spend with those I love. Christmas Eve, my husband and I get extremely tipsy with my parents, and play cards against humanity. In the morning we are hung over Laugh out load open our presents, and have a big breakfast. Not to mention the six other family get-togethers we have in December for christmas. I love it, and wouldn't change it for the world. No religion involved Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Christmas isn't about Jesus or Christianity; it's about materialism and marketing.

It's also about family, and having a great time. I don't see why atheists couldn't observe it.
09-12-2013, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 07:17 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(09-12-2013 01:32 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  ...If you were to choose to defend, as an atheist, your choice to celebrate Christmas to Christians, how would you do it?

That's the great thing about being an atheist. You can do whatever the fuck you want! There are no "atheist rules" that say you can't celebrate Christmas. You can just do what you want.

Easiest answer for me as to how can you justify celebrating Christmas when it's a holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus, is that Christmas has no fucking thing to do with Jesus. That's what's great about it. I wouldn't even bother with the whole argument that it's all pagan anyway, and what not. But more than that, it seriously is much more of a secular holiday than anything else.

Christians can go the church if they want, and think about Jesus on that day, if they want. But when you remove all of that stuff, you still are completely left with Christmas, without even a hint of Christianity in it.

...except for the Christmas part, of course, but you can just ignore that...

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
09-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm the only one that's atheist in my family, and I'm not going to refuse to be part of the holiday with them simply because I'm atheist. Besides, I know a whole crapload of Christians that celebrate Halloween, which originates as a pagan holiday called Samhain, a celebration of the fall harvest. In fact, Christians should look up the Egyptian god Horus, and take a look at what they are celebrating. The story of Horus, BTW, was around loooong before Christianity came around.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
09-12-2013, 07:18 PM
This is a question that I have been asked by a few christians. To me christmas isn't about jesus and all the religion mumbo jumbo it's about spending time with friends and family and seeing my nieces and nephews faces light up as they open presents. It's about good times!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
09-12-2013, 07:23 PM
I actually got mad at my Theist friend for not celebrating Christmas with her kids right. She's the one who doesn't care, because she doesn't think Christmas is being celebrated properly with a focus on religion and Jesus, so she doesn't want to really do anything for it, or for her kids. And I, the atheist, am telling who cares, telling the Christian to get over it and celebrate Christmas like a normal person.

But that should go to show you, Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus, when the atheist want to celebrate it, and the Christian does not.

09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Last Christmas as I was sitting around the dinner table with my family, my grandmother says "I wonder what the atheists are doing right now?" My Aunt quickly replies, "volunteering at soup kitchens?"

I have no idea what my aunt's personal take is on religion. However, my grandparents are regular attenders of church.

I celebrate Christmas by spending it with family. Hopefully I will someday do what some amazing people do and donate my time helping others have a happily memorable Christmas.

Blink
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton
[+] 3 users Like aquaquilter's post
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
(09-12-2013 01:32 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  This upcoming Christmas will be my first as an identified atheist (if you don't know my story, I was a devout Christian from the ages of 12-21 and questioning/agnostic from 22-24--I'm 25 now).
One of my girlfriends (who is agnostic) was just telling me yesterday about how her mom was talking about how they should be going to church because "why do we celebrate Christmas if we're not focused on the reason for Christmas?" (Her mom was raised in church but doesn't go anymore for whatever reason).
The details of that little story are pretty irrelevant. I only bring it up to preface my question as that conversation got me thinking...
If you were to choose to defend, as an atheist, your choice to celebrate Christmas to Christians, how would you do it?
I know that one theory about the origins of the Christmas DATE is that it was borrowed from pagan celebrations. (The Romans had their mid-winter Saturnalia festival in late December; barbarian peoples of northern and western Europe kept holidays at similar times, etc. I've heard it argued, therefore, that Christians deliberately chose the Dec. 25th date to encourage the spread of Christmas and Christianity throughout the Roman world: If Christmas looked like a pagan holiday, more pagans would be open to both the holiday and the God whose birth it celebrated.) I'm not really so interested in this particular argument... I'm more interested in the reason for celebrating when even the NAME Christmas represents/reflects Christianity.

I don't have a reason for celebrating Christmas, to me it has never been anything more than a day about a couple ridiculous, unbelievable myths (Santa and Jewsus), but rather a day of gifts and excitement; recently I have simply started to call it Giftmas; the day represents family. And the mass of gifts.
Christmas, at least here in South Australia, is pretty much just an institutionalised holiday with not a great deal of focus on the religious aspect, a cultural thing of "fuckit, we want another holiday", so I really can't put the Christ part in there, just does not fit with what I have been mostly exposed to.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-12-2013, 07:45 PM
(09-12-2013 07:34 PM)aquaquilter Wrote:  Last Christmas as I was sitting around the dinner table with my family, my grandmother says "I wonder what the atheists are doing right now?" My Aunt quickly replies, "volunteering at soup kitchens?"

I have no idea what my aunt's personal take is on religion. However, my grandparents are regular attenders of church.

I celebrate Christmas by spending it with family. Hopefully I will someday do what some amazing people do and donate my time helping others have a happily memorable Christmas.

Ha, give your aunt a pat on the back for me. I volunteered at the local soup kitchen a good bit until I tore my hand up a couple of months ago.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
09-12-2013, 07:48 PM
(09-12-2013 07:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't have a reason for celebrating Christmas, to me it has never been anything more than a day about a couple ridiculous, unbelievable myths (Santa and Jewsus),...

I never believed in Santa or "Jewsus"