Reason to Celebrate Christmas as an Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
RE: Reason to Celebrate Christmas as an Atheist?
It's supposed to be that one time of the year when people smile a little easier.

I love the music, the twinkling lights, the wrapping gifts, the food and the copious amounts of alcohol.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Frickin' presents and food and family and friends and giving and good and presents and hot chocolates and songs and presents.

Cool
09-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Christmas means fun,telling stories,eating yourself fat(if i could haha),your family and friens close to you,and i enjoy christmas ,every bit of it.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-12-2013, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 10:49 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
You don't have to believe in Thor to enjoy a Thursday.

Every holiday IS exactly what you choose for it to be.

I doubt there's not too many Christians that gather within their coven to praise Satan and raise the dead on Halloween. It's probably just about costumes and candy.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
10-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I guess, for me, as a Christian, Christmas WAS about Jesus.
But we still did the whole present, family, food thing and that's what I'll focus on now because I do love it.
I was just looking for a more concrete or factual reason that makes it "okay" for me to celebrate. I guess there isn't one and that's okay.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 12:16 PM
(10-12-2013 12:00 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  I guess, for me, as a Christian, Christmas WAS about Jesus.

Well you were wrong. It's not...Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
10-12-2013, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 12:33 PM by QueenTit.)
(10-12-2013 12:16 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 12:00 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  I guess, for me, as a Christian, Christmas WAS about Jesus.

Well you were wrong. It's not...Tongue

Right, but the answer everyone is giving me is that even when they WERE Christians (or for family members who still are), Christmas wasn't(/isn't) about Christ.
That's not really a satisfactory answer for me because it doesn't reflect where I'm coming from.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 12:55 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(10-12-2013 12:29 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  Right, but the answer everyone is giving me is that even when they WERE Christians (for for family member who still are), Christmas wasn't(/isn't) about Christ.
That's not really satisfactory answer for me because it doesn't reflect where I'm coming from.

I can kind of relate because the secular way my family celebrated bothered me when I was a Christian because I thought they were missing the point. My ex-wife and I never put up a tree or decorated and even talked about not going to my family's Christmas after we had kids so they wouldn't be infected with the greed that is taught to children by encouraging them to make Christmas present wish lists and spend about a month fantasizing about toys.

I actually feel more free to enjoy the holiday now than I did before. Now that I don't need to feel guilty about commercializing Jesus' birthday, I can relax and enjoy the party. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Personally for me it's about family and friends. The whole 'spirit of Christmas' thing I like a lot too. Regardless of people's motivation, religious or not, everyone seems to be a little bit nicer. ... I'm not opposed to tradition as such either. At least the harmless stuff like Christmas trees, music, binge drinking etc: Smile ... The whole time of year is just nice Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Holidays are great.
Food, booze, football,
Chocolate
Music
time with my little bro teaching him (well him teaching me) computer games

screw the religious stuff

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post