Rebellious vs. Intellectual Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Rebellious vs. Intellectual Atheists?
I've noticed something of a slight trend, at least on the internet, of young people (teens) claiming atheism, but seemingly doing so only out of rebellion against parents - they don't understand the issues and can't debate a point to save their lives. Perhaps some giving the rest of us bad names or creating impressions that atheists don't believe in god because they want to sin (because that's what the "rebellious atheist" does in practice).

I'm not saying that all or even most teens espousing atheism do it out of pure rebellion against Christian parents, but it seems to be something I've noticed among some of them... Particularly those that are unnecessarily "in your face" about it. They haven't thought through what they believe or come to a conclusion based on facts, they're just seeing atheism as another way to piss off their parents (for whatever reason some teens seem to like doing that).

Am I completely off base here? Has anyone else noticed this?

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
25-01-2012, 01:19 AM
RE: Rebellious vs. Intellectual Atheists?

Not sure. I don't think that to be an atheist you have to be able to debate. For a long time I felt that Christianity was wrong and ugly but I couldn't figure out why and I too could not debate. If I'd had the balls to just say "well, fuck you, I can't think why but I think this is horseshit, it smells bad" I'd have saved a lot of angst. And yeah I realise that in a way this is giving the Christians carte blanche to do the same but hey, we can't all be philosophers.

As long as they say "I am an atheist" and partake of baby, who am I to tell them they're not real atheists?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Let the teens use atheism as a tool of rebellion. I think once you start down the path of Godlessness, it's only a matter of time before you delve into more complicated matters. This will of course, lead to a better understanding of their position, therefore leading to your "intellectual atheism".
25-01-2012, 02:30 AM
I am not rebellious and not intellectual (not a teeny either). I can debate Christians but not those out of my ex-faith which had no god/s at all. So what box would that be?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Your view is definitely plausible, however, I haven't encountered it myself, perhaps due to the sorts of people I associate myself with.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
25-01-2012, 08:10 AM
(25-01-2012 02:30 AM)Leela Wrote:  I am not rebellious and not intellectual (not a teeny either). I can debate Christians but not those out of my ex-faith which had no god/s at all. So what box would that be?

Your faith had no gods but it had the supernatural, right?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2012, 08:25 AM
(25-01-2012 01:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

Not sure. I don't think that to be an atheist you have to be able to debate. For a long time I felt that Christianity was wrong and ugly but I couldn't figure out why and I too could not debate. If I'd had the balls to just say "well, fuck you, I can't think why but I think this is horseshit, it smells bad" I'd have saved a lot of angst. And yeah I realise that in a way this is giving the Christians carte blanche to do the same but hey, we can't all be philosophers.

As long as they say "I am an atheist" and partake of baby, who am I to tell them they're not real atheists?

Not saying that they aren't atheists or that you have to be able to debate to be an atheist, but just wondering about the inspiration - most people have different reasons or triggers that made them wake up, but in this instance I'm wondering if many chose atheism as a form of rebellion, but never had a trigger or came to the conclusion on their own (i.e. if their parents were atheist, they'd convert to x religion that pisses off their parents).

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
25-01-2012, 08:26 AM
I am aware that it happens. It's also a big movement of the types of teenagers or college students who leave an organized religion and move looking into religions like wicca or Buddhism... While some just go out of the phase others do become aware of why they've become atheist and really do continue that path.. Others just choose to rap about how Jesus eats religion Undecided

I don't think many teenagers are doing it just in spite of their parents. I believe it is because of that but there are other factors because most of them are not aware they do their actions deliberately to spite their parents.
25-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm sure it happens sometimes. Like that guy who posted here recently with a ridiculously long story about how he was a "hard core" atheist until he smoked some pot and had a religious awakening. That sounded like just a rebellion story like this to me. This type of thing is how religious people can press that stereotype and people believe it.

Not much to do about it. At least there are some legit atheist teens out there making headlines. More exposure means people get used to the idea and it will eventually not matter at all.
25-01-2012, 01:25 PM
(25-01-2012 08:25 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  (i.e. if their parents were atheist, they'd convert to x religion that pisses off their parents).

This made me LOL and ROFL. Never underestimate the human desire to piss off one's parents as a social force. Tongue

Many Christians that I have met have stories like this actually: "I grew up took a gap year, wandered from God, actually I became an atheist, but then X horrible thing happened and I started going to church again. Eventually I realised Y and then I decided to give my life to Jesus"...

So yeah, you might have a point Smile