Recent Non-Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer
Hello everyone! I've recently come to the point in my life, whether it was through random chance or if it was milling around in my head for a while, that I no longer can follow organized religion. We are taught that God - or any gods because all organized religion is guilty of it - embraces us and helps us through difficult times, yet only my friends and family have helped me through it. Both my husband and I have had very bad luck. We have struggled to get by and have seen no divine help or comfort from it. This brought me into a thought process I hadn't had before.
I now identify as an Atheist though, truth be told, I am still learning what that means. There is so much information out in the world that I denied myself because I wanted to use religion instead to explain it. Now I feel like there is a fountain of knowledge that I can't wait to indulge myself in. Does anyone have any reading suggestions or documentary suggestions? It's great to meet everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 07:13 PM
RE: Recent Non-Believer
(23-08-2013 06:31 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  Hello everyone! I've recently come to the point in my life, whether it was through random chance or if it was milling around in my head for a while, that I no longer can follow organized religion. We are taught that God - or any gods because all organized religion is guilty of it - embraces us and helps us through difficult times, yet only my friends and family have helped me through it. Both my husband and I have had very bad luck. We have struggled to get by and have seen no divine help or comfort from it. This brought me into a thought process I hadn't had before.
I now identify as an Atheist though, truth be told, I am still learning what that means. There is so much information out in the world that I denied myself because I wanted to use religion instead to explain it. Now I feel like there is a fountain of knowledge that I can't wait to indulge myself in. Does anyone have any reading suggestions or documentary suggestions? It's great to meet everyone!

For an overview of science and the natural world, I suggest the hugely entertaining
A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2013, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 07:45 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(23-08-2013 06:31 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  I now identify as an Atheist though, truth be told, I am still learning what that means.

Atheism is a very simple label and concept. So simple that it's pretty much useless.

Atheism just means "a lack of belief in god(s)."

It doesn't even mean you're a sceptic, or even secular. You can still be atheist, and wish with all your heart for christianity to rule society, or believe religion as a whole is worth fighting for and dying for.. or believe that elves and dragons exist... or that aliens abducted you just last tuesday.

See what I mean that atheism is a pretty useless term? Both sides are equally responsible for loading the term to mean more than it actually does.

You need to add additional terms to Atheism. For example, i'm a Secular, Anti-theist, Atheist. Meaning 1. I want religion out of public life. 2. I want religion done away with entirely. 2. I don't believe in God(s).

And there are so many more terms to add and choose from...
23-08-2013, 08:55 PM
(23-08-2013 07:42 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 06:31 PM)trekker4ever Wrote:  I now identify as an Atheist though, truth be told, I am still learning what that means.

Atheism is a very simple label and concept. So simple that it's pretty much useless.

Atheism just means "a lack of belief in god(s)."

It doesn't even mean you're a sceptic, or even secular. You can still be atheist, and wish with all your heart for christianity to rule society, or believe religion as a whole is worth fighting for and dying for.. or believe that elves and dragons exist... or that aliens abducted you just last tuesday.

See what I mean that atheism is a pretty useless term? Both sides are equally responsible for loading the term to mean more than it actually does.

You need to add additional terms to Atheism. For example, i'm a Secular, Anti-theist, Atheist. Meaning 1. I want religion out of public life. 2. I want religion done away with entirely. 2. I don't believe in God(s).

And there are so many more terms to add and choose from...

I guess I never thought of what a blanket term "atheist" really was! Now that you mention it, you have me thinking about how further I would define how I feel. I do believe in extraterrestrial life, as it seems a bit silly that in this large universe (most of which we could never reach or observe in our lifetime) SOME form of life doesn't exist...there has to be something. Would that make me an extraterrestrial-affirming Anti-thiest Atheist? Just curious, I never really thought about how my other beliefs play into this awakening I've had. It really does feel like I've woken up from some long pathetic dream where I knew next to nothing.
30-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi there!

It's good to see another person curious about the real world as it is Smile Youtube is full of documentaries about religion, historical religious events and the like. I post ones that I find interesting on my blog (mentioned in my sig.). The best thing to do is to read up or watch things about science.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDdocumentaryChannel/videos has absolutely loads about various topics.

Watch debates. Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, among others, are excellent in that field. The likes of Daniel Dennet and AronRa have Youtube channels which includes presentations based on Science and religion.

Other Youtube atheists include: DPRJones, Dark Matter, Thunderf00t, C0nc0rdance and PhilHellenes. Of course, you'll be aware of Seth Andrews, listen to his podcasts Smile

I wonder if you've fully read through the Bible as well?

I hope you discover all that you hope to!

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/