Recent Permission Changes / concerns / thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2011, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 04:11 AM by DeepThought.)
Recent Permission Changes / concerns / thoughts
After some discussion and quite a bit of thought regarding the forum changes I am posting most of it here so people can see what has been covered.

Here are some snippets brought up by Stark Raving:
Stark Raving Wrote:The point of this forum was that people acted with the amount of respect and integrity that they deemed appropriate. By moderating, I think it would have made people feel less inclined to do that. When noones watching what you say, you have a tendancy to wach it yourself more closely.

giving some users more privledges than others is just not fair in my eyes. But that's just me.

Our philosophy of a self moderated forum has worked for a long time, and this goes against that philosophy.

Several Users Wrote:I Frequently edit my posts - it saves me having to add 2 or 3 extra post afterwards. I can correct typos etc.

Deep Thought Wrote:It is frustrating when you reply to someone and they go back and change the middle of the conversation. Thats kind of abusing the system and is frustrating for anyone involved.

It's not about moderating and more about limiting damage potential.

I think what I did is an important step in hardening the forum against abuse. Eg - new users unable to delete threads and posts. A way to handle Inflamatory posters. We need these systems in place to limit damage. It's better to think this stuff through ahead of time than to face the problems unprepared.

Imagine if people are having a video debate on YouTube and the users are able to go to their older video's and change the middle of a video to say something else - and all that change was the timestamp on the video.

That is equivalent to what could happen before. The TTA-Regular Poster group still has permissions to do that.

I'm wondering when your having dialog with multiple parties what is the best way of going about it. If people post on the public forum should they be given a grace period where they can edit/delete and then after that point be held accountable for their own post?

With those sort of rules in place what I did earlier deleting that sarcastic remark was wrong and I should have just added an apology post afterward in order to uphold that standard.

In light of this I have decided to temporarily implement global time limit on the editing of posts - 30 minutes grace period for now, It can be changed any time..

So gang, This is all up for discussion, let me know what you are thinking. Are your concerns addressed in any of the above?
This is about problem solving and making it fair for everyone.

I wish the answer was 42, It would make life easy...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 04:48 AM
RE: Recent Permission Changes / concerns / thoughts
I find it incredibly ironic that there was no need for such rules on this forum before we had types on this forum pissing about rules on fora. Dodgy

And yet...
Stating that religion poisons everything is politically incorrectExclamation

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I have to admit, maybe one of the other reasons I'm resistant to this is because of what Stark wrote. I remember the forum being upheld as a really amazing self-moderated forum. It felt really free; completely non-restrictive. Adding new rules to it (aside from the all-important "Do not be David Mabus" rule Tongue) seems... different. And that's why I've been hesitant to say anything about that feeling: I'm not sure if it's just me being resistant to change or not.

My previous mentions are still very real, though. I will be undoubtedly annoyed when I notice I used the wrong word or made a typo I didn't catch and can't edit it at a later date. xD I feel for the newbies who might have the same issues as me. Tongue It also just kind of seems rather inconvenient to me, too.

Maybe as we get more traffic self-moderation becomes more of a hard thing to deal with? To be perfectly honest, though, I haven't noticed anything getting really out of hand. Of course I haven't been really active, either. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I honestly think that the forum in the future should have moderators and as of now it seems to be fine (before changes) although I see where you are coming from about the new members editing their posts. This type of forum just doesn't seem to attract many spammers and hopefully the dreaded script kiddies or hackers. I disagree with the editing posts but think that a staff will be needed in the future as almost all forums have and need. It's solemnly up to you and you do what you think is best for the forum just know some limitations to new members sometimes drive them away instead of making them want to I guess work towards being promoted to a regular member and I know how frustrating it is, it's always going to be around because people are just that way.