Recent dicoveries about "near death" experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 08:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Recent dicoveries about "near death" experiences
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23672150
A University of Michigan researcher has documented a surge of electrical activity just before death, which may go a long way in explaining NDE's.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/...xperiences

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 08:06 PM
RE: Recent dicoveries about "near death" experiences
Death really needs to be researched a lot more. So many people are so scared of it.

I am glad someone is publishing some findings. Maybe this will stimulate more research....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Electrical Signatures of Consciousness in the Dying Brain
Science Daily

Quote:...

Approximately 20 percent of cardiac arrest survivors report having had a near-death experience during clinical death. These visions and perceptions have been called "realer than real," according to previous research, but it remains unclear whether the brain is capable of such activity after cardiac arrest.

"We reasoned that if near-death experience stems from brain activity, neural correlates of consciousness should be identifiable in humans or animals even after the cessation of cerebral blood flow," she says.

Researchers analyzed the recordings of brain activity called electroencephalograms (EEGs) from nine anesthetized rats undergoing experimentally induced cardiac arrest.

Within the first 30 seconds after cardiac arrest, all of the rats displayed a widespread, transient surge of highly synchronized brain activity that had features associated with a highly aroused brain.

A sense of inner peace. Moving toward the light.

And on the other side ... Rat Heaven. Shocking

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2013, 05:56 PM
This piece mentions rebuttals to critiques from other scientists.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...ciousness/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I recently saw a debate going on on a Christian Forum about the validity of people’s claims of NDE.

Someone brought up a story they heard, book they read, or whatever it was, about a person’s experience of his time in heaven. Then some other Christians started debating with them about whether or not these people’s claims of NDE, and visits to heaven, are legit because they shouldn’t see relatives, friends, or acquaintances in heaven. No people at all. With maybe the exception of Jesus and some angels, if anything, but that’s it. No humans.

The argument was that the dead haven’t been risen yet and wont until the rapture. They then of course quoted a bunch of scripture verses to support their argument. That’s how you know someone really believes. When a Christian argues against another Christian’s “proof of heaven” because it’s not biblically sound.

I thought that was interesting.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
14-08-2013, 01:37 PM
It makes perfect sense to me that people would think about those who went before when they are in the process of dying.

The brain still looking for something to do in the situation brings up the relevant experiences to evaluate - which is of course people who have died.

The bright light and the tunnel are likely physical phenomena, if you ever saw people (or animals for that matter) dying, there is a point at the very end where "the light leaves the eyes", I can't describe this properly. But the eyes are still bright, and then they turn - again I can't describe it. In any case, that is exactly when vision goes away. And it is the moment of death.

Anyway, I think good research into this will do a lot to debunk all kinds of myths about death. The more controversy the better, it stimulates research.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-08-2013, 02:09 PM
(14-08-2013 01:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  It makes perfect sense to me that people would think about those who went before when they are in the process of dying.

The brain still looking for something to do in the situation brings up the relevant experiences to evaluate - which is of course people who have died.

The bright light and the tunnel are likely physical phenomena, if you ever saw people (or animals for that matter) dying, there is a point at the very end where "the light leaves the eyes", I can't describe this properly. But the eyes are still bright, and then they turn - again I can't describe it. In any case, that is exactly when vision goes away. And it is the moment of death.

Anyway, I think good research into this will do a lot to debunk all kinds of myths about death. The more controversy the better, it stimulates research.

The moment the consciousness lurking behind those eyes ends. One of the most intriguing transitions in my opinion. Oh so hard to describe as well. A tiny part of me wonders what that will be like, but once it happens it will be over and I won't have time to reminisce, how lame.

Thanks for the links, I have yet to, but I shall read them.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

14-08-2013, 02:26 PM
(14-08-2013 01:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  It makes perfect sense to me that people would think about those who went before when they are in the process of dying.

I don't off the top of my head rememer where I read this, so can't cite it right now, so don't quote me on this, but...

As far as the seeing relatives thing, it has been said that as the brain begins "shutting down" the biology of the brain tends to focus the electrical energy where it is needed most.

The brain has a way regulating focus on the most essential parts responsible for sustaining a person’s vitals, such as in the case of a coma for example. But in the moment of death the brain does not have a response for such an extreme event of that kind and it kind of goes wild.

Not wild all over the brain, but wild over the strongest neural pathways connections. If you think of it as circuitry, and there are easier paths for electricity to flow than others, than that’s where the electricity will be more likely to flow. Those strongest neural pathways run along our strongest memories. This makes sense because weaker memories are only weaker because they have less neural pathways connections creating them.

Memories of our families, and our youth and other memories we’ve held the longest over our lives are more intrinsically connected, being built up and strengthened over our life time as we remember and think about them more and more. A memory of a relative is connected to your various memories of childhood, smells, stories, events, foods, ball games, clothes, grass, at tree, that old Buick, a yellow flower, or whatever else they are. They are connected in so many ways to so many other things that they are easiest for your brain to access.

When your brain is “shutting down” during a NDE there is an explosion of this activity in these oldest most deeply developed memories, and they activate the same way they activate in a dream. This is also why we dream, except the NDE is a much more focused version of this. It’s because of this that we see people we that are most strongly, and longevitally tied to our memories.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post