Reclusive Wat? Where?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Reclusive Wat? Where?!
Is there a term to describe my general dislike of 99% of the people around me? Yet I'm struggling with the fact I get distraught (sometimes) (like lately, actually) that I have no friends to ever ask me to hangout, only for me to [possibly] cancel on? (I've always been more of a "stay in and read/binge tv, MAYBE go out once in a great while to let loose" kinda person. Now it seems I'm a recluse.)

I think I went full survival mode and just fell off the face of the Earth those two years ago, not rekindling any relationships I once had, nor procuring new friendships in any significant sense of the word. I think I needed to "find myself," yet now I realize I have no outside friends to take my mind off the everyday grind. (But, keep in mind, I tend to distrust most people or find them straight shady and pretentious.) But I don't pretend to be something I'm not, so there's no meanness on my end; I just don't get close to people.

Maybe it's my impending birthday that brings this on. I find I'm having trouble making any real commitments with... anyone.

I'm not ranting to feel attention or some false sense of security in my standoffish demeanor. I simply just want to create a discussion about growing up and finding relationships of ANY nature a trial that seems daunting, yet scary to miss out. Guess I don't want to feel alone.

Or I'm just expressing my feelings and nobody has to contribute Drinking Beverage

Short: Do you have trouble finding friendships/relationships as you get older?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Peanut's post
24-03-2016, 08:30 PM
RE: Reclusive Wat? Where?!
Welcome back Peanut...again Cool

I know many people but consider very few friends. I’d rather be alone than in bad or boring company.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Welcome back Peanut! Heart Hug

Missed you!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-03-2016, 08:53 PM
I think our basis for friendships change when (if) we grow up and start being a responsible adult. When I was in my teens and 20s the 'friendships' I had were all based on partying. Going out to bars, getting high, going to dances...but those weren't relationships that lasted once I grew up enough to realize that my primary responsibility was to my kids.

Other than one person from my (way back) past, I don't have contact with anyone from that time.

It sounds like you took time to focus on you, and I assume your son. Now that you have found some balance you are wondering what's next. Now comes the time when you figure out how to surround yourself with people who are also grownups or you find that you are content with your own company.

You are going to be fine.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-03-2016, 08:58 PM
(24-03-2016 08:19 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Is there a term to describe my general dislike of 99% of the people around me?

Psychopath? Big Grin

Good to see ya, nut. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2016, 09:43 PM
I think the term you are looking for may be "misanthropic"...?

We seem to have a lot in common. Although I wouldn't call myself a misanthrope at all. I guess I'm just world weary... The daily bullshit gets to me, and pisses me off good. Lately, I'm trying to avoid the news. It just makes me angry and miserable... Everywhere I look I see idiocy and absurdity. But in this connected world, you can't avoid all of it. Things get shared around on social media, and talked about in the pub.

Not a day goes by when I don't feel like just walking out the door, and checking out of society for a while. I'm probably gonna have to do it at some point... The mountains are calling, I must heed them.

But then...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
25-03-2016, 05:38 AM
One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older -- I'm more selective of who I call a friend -- and how I spend my time with them............

I've had too many "friends" that just suck up my time, experience, and resources - for their own betterment......

I don't waste time on those types anymore.

I prefer to spend my time with those friends that just show up for no reason, other than to enjoy each others company....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-03-2016, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 08:01 PM by Peanut.)
Rereading my post made me realize I may come off as a bitter person! I'm not.

I just keep to myself and as I've gotten older, I see things and people for what they really are more easily, I think. I just get right to the chase, if you will. Ha

But isn't that sad to just assume everyone has an end game?! Oh boy!

You guys never fail to surprise me in your wisdom. I need that openness and honesty. But online-only friends are still different than real life ones I COULD see on a daily basis. =(

I see, though, I'm not alone in my feelings, so that feels good. I just wish it were easier to connect with people so I could have somebody to lean on, if I so choose.

Maybe I'll dabble with coming back on here again! Dip my toes in this thing called "socializing."

=)

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
25-03-2016, 02:39 PM
(25-03-2016 02:32 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Rereading my post made me realize I may come off as a bitter person! I'm not.

I just keep to myself and add I've gotten older, I see things and people for what they really are more easily, I think. I just get right to the chase, if you will. Ha

But isn't that sad to just assume everyone has an end game?! Oh boy!

You guys never fail to surprise me in your wisdom. I need that openness and honesty. But online-only friends are still different than real life ones I COULD see on a daily basis. =(

I see, though, I'm not alone in my feelings, so that feels good. I just wish it were easier to connect with people so I could have somebody to lean on, if I so choose.

Maybe I'll dabble with coming back on here again! Dip my toes in this thing called "socializing."

=)

Please do. You are missed. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Hug

I feel SO welcome. Hi, all.