Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
10-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Recommend Some Literature
In case anyone's bored, you know. Give a brief description of the book as well, so people can decide if they're interested or not.

--------------------------------

TITLE: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
AUTHOR: Stephen R. Donaldson
GENRE: Fantasy (series)
Thomas Covenant is a successful author with the perfect wife, home and son. Then he discovers that he has leprosy.
Shunned by his community, abandoned by his wife and hopeless, Covenant reaches the breaking point when the citizens of the town try to keep him away entirely. In an attempt to reassert his humanity, he stubbornly heads into town to pay his phone bill in person.
He is struck by a police car.
He awakens in an alternate universe called the Land, his leprosy miraculously healed. In the Land, beauty is real and visible, magic pulses among rock and wood, and Covenant's white gold wedding ring is a talisman of unfathomable power. And that's good, because the Land is about to come under attack by an ancient evil of equal strength.
But Covenant is a leper. He has been conditioned to believe that there is no hope for him. Nerves cannot heal. The only chance he has of surviving his disease is to convince himself that he is completely and utterly helpless, that he has no power whatsoever. Nerves cannot heal - the Land must be an illusion.
So he names himself the Unbeliever, because he cannot believe in this new world without destroying himself...

TITLE: Night Watch
AUTHOR: Terry Pratchett
GENRE: Fantasy, Satire, Comedy
Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch has been chasing a psychopath named Carcer for weeks. Every time, the insane murderer has just managed to slip away. But not this time - this time, Vimes has him trapped on the rooftops of the Unseen University, the college for wizards.
But no one expected the sudden lightning storm. No one expected the surge of magical power. No one expected Vimes and Carcer to be standing on the highest point of the university at that exact instant. And no one expected the two of them to be flung back in time thirty years.
Now it is the eve of a fabled street rebellion. There is no City Watch, only the Night Watch. And this is the old Watch - a corrupt, cynical group of men who would sell their own grandmothers for a few coins and that no one expects to do anything remotely to do with keeping the peace.
Through a strange series of coincidences, Vimes has ended up taking the place of Sergeant-at-Arms John Keel, his own mentor. And there is his younger self, all bright and shiny and full of big dreams for his time on the force. And there's Sergeant Knock, one of the nastiest pieces of work to ever walk the streets, and there's Captain Tilden, the doddering old commander...
But Vimes can't stop to enjoy the sights. This is a huge event in history, the largest rebellion in Ankh-Morpork. And if things don't go down the way they should, Vimes won't get to go home...

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM

RE: Recommend Some Literature
TITLE:The Holy Bible
AUTHOR:God
GENRE:Fantasy; Science Fiction; Horror
A supernatural thriller to the core, the monster in this book will thrill and chill you! A demonic entity named Yahweh sets humanity up with the perfect trap: the Tree of Life. Knowing they’ll eat the otherwise purposeless fruit, he slaps them with a generational curse that binds them to his malevolent will! What follows is the most twisted tale of evil ever written! Yahweh, egotistical and ragingly jealous, uses those under his control to rape and pillage cultures that don’t worship him. Men, women and animals alike were slain in these bloodthirsty raids. The only hope you had was being a virgin woman whom Yahweh encourages to be conquested [Deuteronomy 21:10-13], [Deuteronomy 20:13-16].

If you have a hard time reading about cruel animal and human sacrifices, perverted sexual references and the murder and abuse of children I suggest not picking this up. This is a true tale of horror and our villian is far from tactful! However, Yahweh’s not a transparent, homocidal manaic. To be so would be far too predictable and I commend the author on his skillful character development. What makes Yahweh so fiendish is that he commits his violent acts under the veneer of love! To fool humanity futher he sent down a hippy version of himself and later set that person up to die, quenching his bloodlust once again. But, that’s not where the horror ends! I hate to give away the ending but it’s far too devious to go unmentioned! In the end his cult followers will be sucked into an alternative dimension where they will toil and praise his ego to neverending extents. Those who choose not to accept his conditional, unconditional love will find themselves in a sadistic torture pit of his making.
source
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Title: Good Omens
Authors: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Parody

Crowley and Aziraphale, an angel and a demon respectively, who have known each other since the dawn of times, live in 20th century England and have grown quite use to a comfortable life on earth. For this reason, when they hear their respective sides lets them know of the imminent approach of the Armageddon, they realize that they must prevent it by all means. However, Crowley carries through his assignment of placing the Antichrist in the family of the American ambassador; but due to a rather slapdash satanic nun, the child ends up in the different family,which brings about a series of comedic mishaps, involving prophecy books, witchfinders, aliens, Tibetans, submerged continents, hellhounds, the four horsepersons, televangelists and other bizarre characters and lost civilizations. Oh and the most important part of it all: the earth is a Libra!

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2010, 01:20 PM

LOL Nahuel that was brilliant! reminded me of Cracked.com's bible review.
10-03-2010, 02:05 PM
(10-03-2010 01:08 PM)Juppers Wrote:  Title: Good Omens
Authors: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Parody

Crowley and Aziraphale, an angel and a demon respectively, who have known each other since the dawn of times, live in 20th century England and have grown quite use to a comfortable life on earth. For this reason, when they hear their respective sides lets them know of the imminent approach of the Armageddon, they realize that they must prevent it by all means. However, Crowley carries through his assignment of placing the Antichrist in the family of the American ambassador; but due to a rather slapdash satanic nun, the child ends up in the different family,which brings about a series of comedic mishaps, involving prophecy books, witchfinders, aliens, Tibetans, submerged continents, hellhounds, the four horsepersons, televangelists and other bizarre characters and lost civilizations. Oh and the most important part of it all: the earth is a Libra!

I second this nomination. Anything by Pratchett is magnificent, and Good Omens was excellent even by that standard.

TITLE: At the Mountains of Madness
AUTHOR: H. P. Lovecraft
GENRE: Horror
An expedition of scientists and archaeologists sets out to Antarctica to follow up on a monumental discovery: an ancient city of black stone in the heart of the icy wasteland. But what they find there is a tale, not of humanity, but of that which came before... and the terrible war that these beings waged against an even more frightful race of destroyers from beyond the stars.

TITLE: Desperation
AUTHOR: Stephen King
Desperation, Nevada. A sleepy little mining town. But something is wrong here. Very wrong.
The streets are empty. Anyone who passes through the town is arrested and jailed by the only apparent inhabitant, a cop named Collier Entragian. And Entragian appears to be violently insane - and getting worse all the time.
So now Entragian's prisoners must find a way to get out of their prison and escape Desperation. But to do that, they must find out what happened there...

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM

TITLE: The Stand
AUTHOR: Stephen King
The Stand is a post-apocalyptic horror/fantasy novel by American author Stephen King. It re-works the scenario in his earlier short story, Night Surf. The novel was originally published in 1978 and was later re-released in 1990 as The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition; King restored some text originally cut for brevity, added and revised sections, changed the setting of the story from 1985 to 1990, and updated a few pop culture references accordingly. The Stand was nominated for the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 1979, and was adapted into both a television miniseries for ABC and a graphic novel published by Marvel Comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand#T...ut_Edition[/align]
17-03-2010, 08:06 AM

Although I didn't read the book, I just finished watching the movie The Road. Man, it was haunting!

Most post-apocalyptic movies tend to have a lot of 'big bang' for their buck. This one was very solemn in comparison.

I recommend it as a must see. I want to buy the book to read the actual story, but if the movie is as close to the story as a movie can get, I'll be satisfied...for now.
17-03-2010, 08:15 AM
TITLE: "I Am Legend"
AUTHOR: Richard Matheson
GENRE: Horror/Suspense
A sudden outbreak of vampirism has engulfed the world. Cities lie desolate under the sun. Only one man on the face of the entire planet survived the outbreak unchanged. Now he spends his days stalking the mutated things during their sleep, and his nights praying for deliverance from this lonely hell, where vampires stalk outside his house and call for him to join them...

17-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Title: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Authors: Philip K. Dick
Genre: Science Fiction

Set on Earth after a third world war decimates the population. Most of humanity has migrated to live on mars but Deckard, our 'hero', lives on Earth and makes a living as a bounty hunter. His targets? Androids who flee Mars and try to live on Earth, but as he progresses on his journey the line dividing man and machine becomes increasingly blurred...

17-03-2010, 11:24 AM
(17-03-2010 11:14 AM)Green Wrote:  Title: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Authors: Philip K. Dick
Genre: Science Fiction

Set on Earth after a third world war decimates the population. Most of humanity has migrated to live on mars but Deckard, our 'hero', lives on Earth and makes a living as a bounty hunter. His targets? Androids who flee Mars and try to live on Earth, but as he progresses on his journey the line dividing man and machine becomes increasingly blurred...

Didn't that inspire Ridley Scott's Blade Runner? Great movie...

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user